St. Paul, Milwaukee, Chicago (TCMC) second daily service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That period in August perhaps interleague baseball games between the Cubs and White Sox -or-
Milwaukee Brewers ?

I'm thinking Wisconsin State Fair, perhaps? It isn't Lollapalooza (previous week.). Milwaukee Summer fest concerts are three weekends in late June/early July. Minnesota State Fair is late August/early September, starting right after the Democratic Convention.

The surge for the Republican Convention, at least, makes some sense as there is an expectation that some delegates will be staying in Chicago hotels. How, exactly, they'll manage that commute without a late night train, though, who knows.

Putting a $179 fare on Borealis between CHI and MSP during the conventions seems an absurd level of surge pricing, though during the week of the Chicago convention routes like DTW-CHI and STL-CHI are also triple-ish what is available a week earlier. In
I rode a Northeast Regional into Washington on Jan. 5, 2021. The train was full of people who were obviously there to participate in demonstrations protesting the results of the 2020 election, based on the buttons and shirts, etc., that they were wearing. I suspect that a lot of those people were also involved in the events of the next day, which turned out to be a little more than a mere "protest.". Aside from surge pricing because of the event, it might be that the "Powers That Be" are trying to discourage people from traveling to Chicago during the convention period.

Over the last few days I've noticed some oddball fares on certain dates in summer where Borealis is really expensive, far more than the Empire Builder. So while watching TV I looked up fares CHI-MSP through summer to see what's going on. Turns out Borealis is nearly always cheaper but there are a few very specific periods when it's not...the two presidential conventions and a four-day period in early August I have not found a reason for:

Putting a $179 fare on Borealis between CHI and MSP during the conventions seems an absurd level of surge pricing, though during the week of the Chicago convention routes like DTW-CHI and STL-CHI are also triple-ish what is available a week earlier. In the case of CHI-MSP the much-lower fares on the Empire Builder make the Borealis fares especially noteworthy. Not sure about those four dates in earlier August but again it seems to be related to something.

Nevertheless I was glad (relieved?) to see a pattern which showed what was going on. When I stumbled upon those $179 days poking around over the weekend it was kind of alarming,
Thanks for taking the time to post. I switched over all my upcoming EB 8/28/7/27 trips to the Borealis 1333/1340 but Labor Day weekend was really high ($291 roundtrip from LSE to Chicago in Business Class).

Yesterday I looked again and the same dates were $161 roundtrip in Business Class. I quickly canceled without penalty and rebooked.

I am curious how much business class will be affected by dynamic pricing in the future, but I don't mind paying the upcharge, if it is similar to what I remember with 2-1 seating and 15 seats per car. $49 seems reasonable and it'll make my AGR anniversary coupon usable without having to visit the NE corridor.

I know it won't be anywhere near as nice as sleeper class, but it'll also be substantially cheaper.

Is this seating plan what is going to be used on the Borealis ?
If the car is Horizon appears to be more than 15 seats ?
As far as we all know the business class on the Horizon will be in the Amfleet I club-dinette, where half of the car (roughly) is the cafe + table seating, and the other half is 2-1 business class seating, of 15 seats per car.

This prediction appears to have been confirmed by photos and video from railfans who caught a test run of the Borealis earlier this week. On the test run, there was a P42 loco (freshly painted), 4 Horizon cars (also quite clean and shiny) and an Amfleet car bringing up the rear of the train. It only stands to reason that the Amfleet car thus observed is the promised cafe & business car with 15 2-1 seats.

The test train should be on its way back to Chicago right now, as it was apparently slated to return today. I'm sure there will be more video and pictures on the various Amtrak and railfan Facebook pages!

Thanks for the info - - - - -
Nice attractive train set
Today bought two round trip Business class tickets MSP-WIN-MSP for Friday May 24 (senior fare)
Was advised there is no seat assignment selection - first come first serve
I was going to offer to buy you a drink, but you'll be getting off in Winona right before I board in La Crosse.
Enjoy your trip!

Maybe you'll get a "free" drink anyway. I'm not sure if Borealis BC will include a complimentary beverage.....Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks.

True will find out about the amenities of Business Class
I rode the Amtrak "Colonial" (First/Business class) from DC to New London CT years ago
1 meal service and non-alcohol complimentary beverages included

On the "EB" in sleeper class - dining service provides -1- alcohol drink
With no sleeper service on the "B" unlikely

I believe that complimentary beverages will be on "B"
Meal (snack?) services ?

I would suspect that the alcoholic drinks policy to be same as the "EB"
Open private consumption verboten unless purchased from Amtrak

Que sera sera - - - - although the new "B" train is worth a toast !
Now if we can get the NLX train to Duluth going will be another toast worthy event !

Back