76. It is nearly 10pm at night and the sky is still relatively bright!
77. I enjoy travelling along the roads like this.
78. This one being empty, although often we can travel faster than cars.
79. It has gotten considerably darker now.
80. Crossing the Oder river in Szczecin by night...
71. We enjoy nice beach town and some beach time, as the weather is 82 degrees (28 celsius) and the water is bearable, even though it is a more northern sea. On the way back, we cross the border by foot
72. Before 2007, this all used to be blocked off by fences and barbed wire, since then it...
61. At Heringsdorf, the train will turn around, but we depart here.
62. A pretty and historical train station in Heringsdorf.
63. The town here is one of the historical kingdom towns - one of the most prestigious resort towns in the 18th and 19th century for the royalty.
64. Very pretty...
56. The interesting thing is that inside there is a 2+3 seat configuration, not common in Poland, but perhaps more so in Germany.
57. The seats are comfortable enough.
58. The train ride will only be about 10 minutes, to Heringsdorf. After not even a mile, we stop at the border. Since we are...
51. We are still in Poland, but only a couple hundred yards away from the border. The German railway extended the tracks and installed its own train station. Only the regional UBB trains call here.
52. It's easy to spot that this is a German station - by the German signs, even if they are in...
46. Our train visible on a curve.
47. As we arrive, lots of people detrain with their bikes for the Baltic summer adventure. In the background we see a regional train of the West Pomerania region.
48. Świnoujście station is clearly undergoing construction.
49. As we are on islands, we have...
41. Open windows make it possible to take nice pictures. Warsaw West Station building is a main office building for PKP Intercity and other PKP group companies.
42. As we pass many stations, they are mostly modernized. A big change has definitely taken place on the Polish railroad in the past...
36. The sleeper is sort of a "premium" class of travel, but service is absolutely bare bones. Best to think of it as buying a bed to sleep on the train rather than a special experience, such as Amtrak. You really do not get anything. We got a wet towel
37. A disinfectant gel
38. And a snack...
31. Our Train UZNAM to Świnoujście is rather short this year. Partially due to COVID, partially due to smaller amount of people taking night trains in favor of day trains, as the rail network in Poland gets better and more faster connections are available.
32. The train arrives, here is our...
26. The busy city of Warsaw.
27. The station hall is nice and modern.
28. You can head upstairs to find a McDonald's a supermarket and some other amenities as well.
29. A big arrivals and departures board is hard to miss.
30. We head down to the platform to await the train.
21. We are approaching Warsaw East station.
22. At Warsaw East station, we have to get off and catch a local train to Warsaw Central (Warszawa Centralna). The reason for this is the big construction around the Warsaw Railway Junction, which causes a lot of detours, capacity issues etc. Some...
16. We take a walk to the bar car.
17. The bar car is small, but serves its purpose.
18. We can enjoy a traditional Polish meal (I chose Pierogi), a Polish beer.
19. And then coffee and dessert. All is very good and not too expensive, especially for western standards.
20. As we continue...
11. The trains hold bikes as well, which is a big plus.
12. View onto the rest of the train.
13. There are monitors above, however, they only display commercials, speed and the route.
14. And we are now off, looking at the modernized road network of Lublin.
15. At one of the stops, we...
6. The goofy thing about Lublin train station is the track numbers.. they use the full station technical numbers to announce trains, which is totally passenger unfriendly.. Hence, the train departs from track 55 on platform 3.
7. A more traditional loco+cars train pulls in from Kraków on the...