“Live” from 20(12)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railiner

Engineer
Received texts, email’s, and robocall this morning that the train would be delayed departing until 11:00 AM, due to “late operation’s”....

Last email simply said the train was delayed, with “no other train leaving New Orleans today”.

That sounded ominous, so I called them, and the agent said the ETD is still 11:00.

When I asked if no time could mean it could be cancelled, she said no...at least not so far....it is still estimated to depart at 11:00.

Train 19(10) did not arrive until 4:17 AM, so I am assuming the delay might be for crew rest (8 hours off?)...I don’t think it would take them that long to turn and service the train.

To be continued...

Got another email saying arrive at 1030 am.

Got to station at 9:30, and went to Magnolia Lounge.  Attendant said train was backing in at 10.  We boarded at 1015

and departed at 10:33 AM  :cool:

My habit of reporting times from riding over rare mileage trips I finally realized was redundant, since Amtrak reports them.
Also, too dark now for photo’s.

For lunch, had salad, hamburger, and cheesecake. For dinner, salad, “surf and turf” with baked potato and string beans, and flourless chocolate cake.
Very enjoyable meals, with excellent service.
Now after spending all day in the lounge with a friend I met on the cruise, it is time to head to the sleeper .

So jealous right now - my last trip was in February, so I'm in LD train withdrawal. But at least I've only got 36 days until I'm on #97 to DLB!  :cool:

Speaking of “97”,  this (Lynchburg), looks like an appropriate spot to cue up Johnny Cash’s rendition of “The Wreck of Old 97”... :)

Just finished last dinner on train here at Wilmington....Thyme chicken was very tasty.

Train consist:
635 from WAS
152 to WAS
62. To WAS

IMG_2133.JPGIMG_2134.JPGIMG_2135.JPGIMG_2136.JPGIMG_2142.JPG

I have to say, despite the late departure, and even later arrival in New York (7:40 PM),  I thoroughly enjoyed my first long distance train ride on Amtrak since the early '90's.

The Viewliner roomette was a pleasure to ride in, the sleeper attendant was excellent, friendly, helpful, provided great information....even gave me a copy of Train's magazine.He hoisted my large suitcase onto the upper bunk for me, made great coffee in the morning, and found my friend and me in the lounge car to bring us back into the diner whenever they were ready to serve a meal.  Speaking of meal's, I enjoyed every morsel of them...the salad, the main course, and veggies, and dessert.   What a shame they no longer offer this service on the other trains....

The train crew made plenty of announcements advising of reasons for all of our delays, whether it be freight, commuter or other train meets....slow order's for work area's or flood warning's, copying of train order's, etc...   I had my scanner in my bag, but found no reason whatsoever to pull it out.   The wifi worked very nicely, almost the entire way.   

My best compliment to Amtrak is that even though I can fly free, I will still patronize them occasionally, just for the fun of it! :cool:

Back