“Secret” lounge at Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRA_Thom

Train Attendant
So a few weeks ago, I was taking Wolverine 350 from Chicago to Kalamazoo. Unfortunately, it was cancelled due to a freight derailment. So Amtrak put us on buses instead.
We first waited in the regular ugly waiting area by the south gates. But then they called all the passengers for the 350 and told us to follow them into this separate lounge.
It was between the north and south gates, right next to the through tracks (we heard a Metra train pass by). Straight across from the lounge were the escalators to the Canal Street exit.
Does anyone know the story behind this lounge? I had no idea it existed.

Many thanks!

FBE75446-5663-46B6-94C5-C045C0688D53.jpegF3954A7F-54F9-41A2-BBB0-A80A37DB651E.jpeg
E9876861-C5B8-442C-BFB3-479A50F08D64.jpeg

I believe that is what has been referred to as the Hiawatha Lounge, which had been the location of the Metropolitan Lounge before it was relocated to the Great Hall.

It's usually open only to those Hiawatha passengers who have purchased a monthly or ten-ride ticket on the route.

I'd like to think they'll spruce it up a little bit when and if the funding finally becomes available to remake the concourse area.

Back