1.5 billion for Amtrak in stimulus with daily service mandate (Passed in Congress)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That $200M should be dedicated to returning dining cars to service and better food. 🍽
If I understood it correctly this addition is directed with a specific purpose and is not available for Amtrak to use however it wishes. I have not read the bill yet so I don't know the details about it.

I drove a 1981 Toyota Tercel from Miami to San Diego back in 1989 and it nearly killed me it was so boring. Back then there was almost no traffic. My car didn't have a cassette player and there was no good radio station most of the time. I was so bored I tried to see how many miles I could go without touching the steering wheel. I was leaning left and right to keep the car in the lane. I think I got to 40 miles without touching the wheel. The worst part was that if I went faster than 62 mph the car started to scream like it was going to fly apart. And 62 mph on I-10 felt like I could get out and run alongside the car.
Good times. LOL!
Reminiscent of several highways in ND and SD that I have driven on where I probably could have napped for a bit while driving due to no curves, flat road (and countryside), and little to no traffic.

The bill has passed the Senate believe, not sure what Amtrak amendments came.

Here's what's included in the bill:

(a)
Northeast Corridor appropriation

In addition to amounts otherwise available, there is appropriated for fiscal year 2021, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $820,388,160, to remain available until September 30, 2024, for grants as authorized under section 11101(a) of the FAST Act (Public Law 114–94) to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(b)
National Network appropriation

In addition to amounts otherwise available, there is appropriated for fiscal year 2021, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $679,611,840, to remain available until September 30, 2024, for grants as authorized under section 11101(b) of the FAST Act (Public Law 114–94) to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(c)
Long-distance service restoration and employee recalls

Not less than $165,926,000 of the aggregate amounts made available under subsections (a) and (b) shall be for use by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation to—

(1)
restore, not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the frequency of rail service on long-distance routes (as defined in section 24102 of title 49, United States Code) that the National Railroad Passenger Corporation reduced the frequency of on or after July 1, 2020, and continue to operate such service at such frequency; and

(2)
recall and manage employees furloughed on or after October 1, 2020, as a result of efforts to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(d)
Use of funds in lieu of capital payments

Not less than $109,805,000 of the aggregate amounts made available under subsections (a) and (b)—

(1)
shall be for use by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation in lieu of capital payments from States and commuter rail passenger transportation providers that are subject to the cost allocation policy under section 24905(c) of title 49, United States Code; and

(2)
notwithstanding sections 24319(g) and 24905(c)(1)(A)(i) of title 49, United States Code, such amounts do not constitute cross-subsidization of commuter rail passenger transportation.

(e)
Use of funds for State payments for State-supported routes

(1)
In general

Of the amounts made available under subsection (b), $174,850,000 shall be for use by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation to offset amounts required to be paid by States for covered State-supported routes.

(2)
Funding share

The share of funding provided under paragraph (1) with respect to a covered State-supported route shall be distributed as follows:

(A)
Each covered State-supported route shall receive 7 percent of the costs allocated to the route in fiscal year 2019 under the cost allocation methodology adopted pursuant to section 209 of the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 (Public Law 110–432).

(B)
Any remaining amounts after the distribution described in subparagraph (A) shall be apportioned to each covered State-supported route in proportion to the passenger revenue of such route and other revenue allocated to such route in fiscal year 2019 divided by the total passenger revenue and other revenue allocated to all covered State-supported routes in fiscal year 2019.

(3)
Covered State-supported route defined

In this subsection, the term covered State-supported route means a State-supported route, as such term is defined in section 24102 of title 49, United States Code, but does not include a State-supported route for which service was terminated on or before February 1, 2020.

f)
Use of funds for debt repayment or prepayment

Not more than $100,885,000 of the aggregate amounts made available under subsections (a) and (b) shall be—

(1)
for the repayment or prepayment of debt incurred by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation under financing arrangements entered into prior to the date of enactment of this Act; and

(2)
to pay required reserves, costs, and fees related to such debt, including for loans from the Department of Transportation and loans that would otherwise have been paid from National Railroad Passenger Corporation revenues.

(g)
Project management oversight

Not more than $2,000,000 of the aggregate amounts made available under subsections (a) and (b) shall be for activities authorized under section 11101(c) of the FAST Act (Public Law 114–94).

OK - now if someone can translate that into normal English for those in the cheap seats ...
  • NEC $820M
  • National Network $680 M - of this $175M to pay for state supported routes operation
  • LD Service Restoration $166M with the stipulation that service must be restored within 90 days of the enactment of the act.
  • Cover capital payments from states $110M
  • Debt repayment or prepayment $101M
  • Project Management Oversight $2M
A total finally of $1.8+ million.

So does that mean we can expect daily service by mid June? Maybe even early June?

Here's what's included in the bill:

(a)
Northeast Corridor appropriation

In addition to amounts otherwise available, there is appropriated for fiscal year 2021, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $820,388,160, to remain available until September 30, 2024, for grants as authorized under section 11101(a) of the FAST Act (Public Law 114–94) to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(b)
National Network appropriation

In addition to amounts otherwise available, there is appropriated for fiscal year 2021, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $679,611,840, to remain available until September 30, 2024, for grants as authorized under section 11101(b) of the FAST Act (Public Law 114–94) to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(c)
Long-distance service restoration and employee recalls

Not less than $165,926,000 of the aggregate amounts made available under subsections (a) and (b) shall be for use by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation to—

(1)
restore, not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the frequency of rail service on long-distance routes (as defined in section 24102 of title 49, United States Code) that the National Railroad Passenger Corporation reduced the frequency of on or after July 1, 2020, and continue to operate such service at such frequency; and

(2)
recall and manage employees furloughed on or after October 1, 2020, as a result of efforts to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.

(d)
Use of funds in lieu of capital payments

Not less than $109,805,000 of the aggregate amounts made available under subsections (a) and (b)—

(1)
shall be for use by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation in lieu of capital payments from States and commuter rail passenger transportation providers that are subject to the cost allocation policy under section 24905(c) of title 49, United States Code; and

(2)
notwithstanding sections 24319(g) and 24905(c)(1)(A)(i) of title 49, United States Code, such amounts do not constitute cross-subsidization of commuter rail passenger transportation.

(e)
Use of funds for State payments for State-supported routes

(1)
In general

Of the amounts made available under subsection (b), $174,850,000 shall be for use by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation to offset amounts required to be paid by States for covered State-supported routes.

(2)
Funding share

The share of funding provided under paragraph (1) with respect to a covered State-supported route shall be distributed as follows:

(A)
Each covered State-supported route shall receive 7 percent of the costs allocated to the route in fiscal year 2019 under the cost allocation methodology adopted pursuant to section 209 of the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 (Public Law 110–432).

(B)
Any remaining amounts after the distribution described in subparagraph (A) shall be apportioned to each covered State-supported route in proportion to the passenger revenue of such route and other revenue allocated to such route in fiscal year 2019 divided by the total passenger revenue and other revenue allocated to all covered State-supported routes in fiscal year 2019.

(3)
Covered State-supported route defined

In this subsection, the term covered State-supported route means a State-supported route, as such term is defined in section 24102 of title 49, United States Code, but does not include a State-supported route for which service was terminated on or before February 1, 2020.

f)
Use of funds for debt repayment or prepayment

Not more than $100,885,000 of the aggregate amounts made available under subsections (a) and (b) shall be—

(1)
for the repayment or prepayment of debt incurred by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation under financing arrangements entered into prior to the date of enactment of this Act; and

(2)
to pay required reserves, costs, and fees related to such debt, including for loans from the Department of Transportation and loans that would otherwise have been paid from National Railroad Passenger Corporation revenues.

(g)
Project management oversight

Not more than $2,000,000 of the aggregate amounts made available under subsections (a) and (b) shall be for activities authorized under section 11101(c) of the FAST Act (Public Law 114–94).
Gosh you're working hard... thought that job was for the Amtrak administrative bean counters... perhaps they may honor your efforts with a free coach seat between Albany and Schenectady!

Anyway... do hang in there... they may be listening. :oops::rolleyes::oops:

The $200 million extra in the senate version was divided as follows - $150 million was added to the Northeast Corridor appropriation - $50 million was added to the national network appropriation. Here’s the full relevant text in the senate version:

SEC. 7101. GRANTS TO THE NATIONAL RAILROAD PASSENGER
CORPORATION.

(a) Northeast Corridor Appropriation.--In addition to
amounts otherwise available, there is appropriated for fiscal
year 2021, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise
appropriated, $970,388,160, to remain available until
September 30, 2024, for grants as authorized under section
11101(a) of the FAST Act (Public Law 114-94) to prevent,
prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.
(b) National Network Appropriation.--In addition to amounts
otherwise available, there is appropriated for fiscal year
2021, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise
appropriated, $729,611,840, to remain available until
September 30, 2024, for grants as authorized under section
11101(b) of the FAST Act (Public Law 114-94) to prevent,
prepare for, and respond to coronavirus.
(c) Long-distance Service Restoration and Employee
Recalls.--Not less than $165,926,000 of the aggregate amounts
made available under subsections (a) and (b) shall be for use
by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation to--
(1) restore, not later than 90 days after the date of
enactment of this Act, the frequency of rail service on long-
distance routes (as defined in section 24102 of title 49,
United States Code) that the National Railroad Passenger
Corporation reduced the frequency of on or after July 1,
2020, and continue to operate such service at such frequency;
and
(2) recall and manage employees furloughed on or after
October 1, 2020, as a result of efforts to prevent, prepare
for, and respond to coronavirus.
(d) Use of Funds in Lieu of Capital Payments.--Not less
than $109,805,000 of the aggregate amounts made available
under subsections (a) and (b)--
(1) shall be for use by the National Railroad Passenger
Corporation in lieu of capital payments from States and
commuter rail passenger transportation providers that are
subject to the cost allocation policy under section 24905(c)
of title 49, United States Code; and
(2) notwithstanding sections 24319(g) and 24905(c)(1)(A)(i)
of title 49, United States Code, such amounts do not
constitute cross-subsidization of commuter rail passenger
transportation.
(e) Use of Funds for State Payments for State-supported
Routes.--
(1) In general.--Of the amounts made available under
subsection (b), $174,850,000 shall be for use by the National
Railroad Passenger Corporation to offset amounts required to
be paid by States for covered State-supported routes.
(2) Funding share.--The share of funding provided under
paragraph (1) with respect to a covered State-supported route
shall be distributed as follows:
(A) Each covered State-supported route shall receive 7
percent of the costs allocated to the route in fiscal year
2019 under the cost allocation methodology adopted pursuant
to section 209 of the Passenger Rail Investment and
Improvement Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-432).
(B) Any remaining amounts after the distribution described
in subparagraph (A) shall be apportioned to each covered
State-supported route in proportion to the passenger revenue
of such route and other revenue allocated to such route in
fiscal year 2019 divided by the total passenger revenue and
other revenue allocated to all covered State-supported routes
in fiscal year 2019.
(3) Covered state-supported route defined.--In this
subsection, the term ``covered State-supported route'' means
a State-supported route, as such term is defined in section
24102 of title 49, United States Code, but does not include a
State-supported route for which service was terminated on or
before February 1, 2020.
(f) Use of Funds for Debt Repayment or Prepayment.--Not
more than $100,885,000 of the aggregate amounts made
available under subsections (a) and (b) shall be--
(1) for the repayment or prepayment of debt incurred by the
National Railroad Passenger Corporation under financing
arrangements entered into prior to the date of enactment of
this Act; and
(2) to pay required reserves, costs, and fees related to
such debt, including for loans from the Department of
Transportation and loans that would otherwise have been paid
from National Railroad Passenger Corporation revenues.
(g) Project Management Oversight.--Not more than $2,000,000
of the aggregate amounts made available under subsections (a)
and (b) shall be for activities authorized under section
11101(c) of the FAST Act (Public Law 114-94).

• NEC $820M
  • National Network $680 M - of this $175M to pay for state supported routes operation
  • LD Service Restoration $166M with the stipulation that service must be restored within 90 days of the enactment of the act.
A total finally of $1.8+ million.
Hopefully you won't mind me reposting your clear summary with the updated Senate amounts:

• NEC $970M
  • National Network $730 M - of this $175M to pay for state supported routes operation

I wonder when, and if, traditional dining will be restored...
According to the website, yes - it's still there for late May. I'd figure that if anything changes with F&B it would occur when trains go back to daily service - given the proximity of the posted flex dining end date to the likely timeline for daily service restoration - which would make the most sense logistically. I have to imagine though at best, traditional dining (or a pandemic friendly version of it) would only return to the trains that had it before the pandemic - I think Amtrak is going to stick with flexible dining in the east - but hopefully eventually make some further improvements.

Gosh you're working hard... thought that job was for the Amtrak administrative bean counters... perhaps they may honor your efforts with a free coach seat between Albany and Schenectady!

Anyway... do hang in there... they may be listening. :oops::rolleyes::oops:

Thanks. I'm pretty much a newbie to trains and Amtrak. It's a hobby I picked up after I got laid off last April. They called me back last October so that was good and they allowed me to work from home(there's a good amount of downtime on Thursdays/Fridays so I use that as research time). I've never been on Amtrak and I would love to travel once this is over. My first ride will probably be this fall. USF plays NC State in Raleigh. Thinking about flying up to see the game and then taking the Silver Star back home the next day. (I apologize for going off topic).

According to the website, yes - it's still there for late May. I'd figure that if anything changes with F&B it would occur when trains go back to daily service - given the proximity of the posted flex dining end date to the likely timeline for daily service restoration - which would make the most sense logistically. I have to imagine though at best, traditional dining (or a pandemic friendly version of it) would only return to the trains that had it before the pandemic - I think Amtrak is going to stick with flexible dining in the east - but hopefully eventually make some further improvements.
All we can do is hope

We can hope Amtrak doesn’t wait til June1st to load the summer schedule of daily service. Reservations should be able to be taken within a week after the bill is signed. Unfortunately that language should have been written in the bill knowing this managements competence or lack there of. Every week reservations can’t be made for the peak summer season equals lost $$$.

Back