#1 LAX Arrival

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question that I asked my SCA during my trip on #1: is it possible to remain in my roomette for awhile after the train arrived at Los Angeles? Politely, I was told no, passengers had to disembark upon arrival.

There was a period of time when it was advertised in timetables that sleeping car passengers could do this. But I never rode the sunset during that time. Fellow Passengers I spoke with said it was usually difficult to do so as the sca’s would make lots of announcements to try to wake everyone up and get them out as soon as possible.

But even twice a day doesn't automatically solve everything, especially if the routes vary somewhat...case in point the Star, Meteor, and Palmetto.
What particularly annoys me, is the Star and Meteor arrive in Miami, almost together
Couldn’t agree more. The Star leaves NYP about 4 hours ahead of the Meteor but arrives Miami only 40 minutes earlier. Of course the Star’s convoluted routing is the primary cause. But there are ways this could be improved. Might be a good topic to discuss in a new thread.

There was a period of time when it was advertised in timetables that sleeping car passengers could do this.
There were several Amtrak trains where this was both advertised and honored. The Executive Sleeper between WAS and NYP arrived in the wee hours, but it wasn't until 6:30 that they tapped on your door to deliver your continental breakfast.

A question that I asked my SCA during my trip on #1: is it possible to remain in my roomette for awhile after the train arrived at Los Angeles? Politely, I was told no, passengers had to disembark upon arrival.
Remember, the OBS quits getting paid when the Train hits the stops, you wouldnt want to work for Free either if you'd been @ work for several days!

Remember, the OBS quits getting paid when the Train hits the stops, you wouldnt want to work for Free either if you'd been @ work for several days!

No one is asking anyone to work for free. There was at one time a solution. I’m guessing that was paying the SCA’s until the time passengers were asked to be off the train.

Amtrak chose to take that amenity away, just like a large list of others.

Given that (from California) the sun doesn’t rise over the Pacific, you didn’t miss much.
You never know... In Albuquerque, we watch the sun set in the east. Explanation: The setting sun brings out the colors of the Sandia mountains on the east side of ABQ in a spectacular fashion-purple, gold, green, orange, pink. And from where I live on the west side of ABQ, the mesas to the west of ABQ block the view of the sun as it sets. Watching the eastern Sandia mountains "react" to the sunset is something I get to do almost every day.

Keep in mind that the OBS on #1 do NOT get Paid after the Trains Scheduled Arrival time ( 0-Dark-Thirty) into LAX so you can't blame them for rushing everyone off the Train upon arrival.

Used to be that Sleeping Car Passengers had until 630am to stay aboard, but with the Opening of the Metro Lounge in LAX , they can now head for the Lounge which opens @ 500am!
I was once on an early LAX arriving train and the attendant woke us extra early so he could change the bedding etc. before arrival. Like he knocked on my door at 3:30am!

And the gaul of standing there as pax detraines at 5am with his hand out for a tip!

No sir'ree; no tip... and no thanks for the 'early wake up call!' :mad:

I was once on an early LAX arriving train and the attendant woke us extra early so he could change the bedding etc. before arrival. Like he knocked on my door at 3:30am!

And the gaul of standing there as pax detraines at 5am with his hand out for a tip!

No sir'ree; no tip... and no thanks for the 'early wake up call!' :mad:
I really hope that my train in march gets delayed by a few hours somewhere between Tuscan and Yuma. Would love to be able to see the Salton Sea, Palm Springs, and the Los Angeles suburbs come into view.

On a different note, has the Chief and Sunset ever met at Colton? That'd be a sick shot if they met there...

I've traveled to LAX numerous times over the past 20 years and well remember when Amtrak brochures stated sleeping car passengers could stay longer in their rooms upon arrival. Most times, attendants were cooperative and friendly about sleeping in. I specifically remember one attendant who dismissed the idea, saying we had to disembark when the train arrived, despite what the timetable said. It was a good concept Amtrak should have continued, and all sleeping car employees should have supported. There was typically a lot of noise from departing passengers and people gathering luggage, though.

Last edited:
I've traveled to LAX numerous times over the past 20 years and well remember when Amtrak brochures stated sleeping car passengers could stay longer in their rooms upon arrival. Most times, attendants were cooperative and friendly about sleeping in. I specifically remember one attendant who dismissed the idea, saying we had to disembark when the train arrived, despite what the timetable said. It was a good concept Amtrak should have continued, and all sleeping car employees should have supported. There was typically a lot of noise from departing passengers and people gathering luggage, though.
At least there is now a Metro Lounge for arriving Sleeper Passengers @ LAX .

Before they opened the Metro Lounge, I've been on Sunsets that arrived as Early as 430am, with Nothing Open in the Station,( before Starbucks was there).

Before they opened the Metro Lounge, I've been on Sunsets that arrived as Early as 430am, with Nothing Open in the Station,( before Starbucks was there).
Tough...

When was it added?

And, when I was there, it was a nice one with comfortable seating, a large restroom where my morning routines could be easily accomplished since they did not get done on the train. (No shower facilities, however.) Juices, coffee, Sara Lee pastries/muffins were available for breakfast. And the attendants that came and went as I awaiting continuing my journey on the Southwest Chief were all friendly and helpful and allowed me to keep my carry-on behind their desk while I "went wandering" around the area.

I do wish they had a proper luggage storage area in that lounge.
They're pretty good about watching the Luggage around the front desk and one time when it got really busy while I was there, they stored luggage in the Conference room.

I think it's pretty safe, Chicago no longer has an attendant, Washington has an open Closet area similar to Chicago, and Philadelphia got rid of the Cabinets you could store stuff in.

I was there a few weeks ago and I stored my luggage in the back room. The attendant locks it. I remember getting in on 1 at 4AM years ago. The lounge didn't open until 6. Yeah,if only the arrival time into LA was close to 7. As I said,that is one train I always wish was late.

Back