11/16/21 #91 (Southbound Silver Star)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The train broke down, engine died near RGH, CSX freight was called to pull it but not sure what happens after.

It was seen on Ashland cam on youtube it had only 1 loco so obviously 2nd one died in WAS?

I was on that train when it went dead in the water between Rocky Mount and Raleigh due to a "mechanical" issue. By the time it was determined that the issue couldn't be fixed and a CSX replacement engine showed up and got ready to go, we were 5 hours late.

Long before we got underway, I fell asleep, and then woke up at Savannah. Apparently Amtrak came up with one of their own engines from somewhere. By the time it arrived, replaced the freight engine, and got ready to go, we had lost another two hours.

I am curious what they did about feeding sleeping car passengers. It is due into Miami at 4:31PM; so lunch would normally be the last meal. I was booked to Tampa but got dumped off the train at Orlando because of the track work between Auburndale and Tampa. We were due in to Orlando a 10:20AM, but arrived at 5:38PM. Just before Orlando we went to the dining car hoping to grab something for the bus ride to Tampa and on to St. Petersburg. But it was closed. Apparently, the meal times are not completely flxexible.

Other than that a nice ride.

Last edited:
I was on that train when it went dead in the water between Rocky Mount and Raleigh due to a "mechanical" issue. By the time it was determined that the issue couldn't be fixed and a CSX replacement engine showed up and got ready to go, we were 5 hours late.

Long before we got underway, I fell asleep, and then woke up at Savannah. Apparently Amtrak came up with one of their own engines from somewhere. By the time it arrived, replaced the freight engine, and got ready to go, we had lost another two hours.

I am curious what they did about feeding sleeping car passengers. It is due into Miami at 4:31PM; so lunch would normally be the last meal. I was booked to Tampa but got dumped off the train at Orlando because of the track work between Auburndale and Tampa. We were due in to Orlando a 10:20AM, but arrived at 5:38PM. Just before Orlando we went to the dining car hoping to grab something for the bus ride to Tampa and on to St. Petersburg. But it was closed. Apparently, the meal times are not completely flxexible.

Other than that a nice ride.

My friend was on it too and he was in cafe car and said the train was delayed so we chatted on facetime to keep him busy. It was his first time and he says as long hes safe and warm. That's all matters.

He finally got off at Winter Haven at 4:31pm. It was a wild ride for him!

I hope they don't sit around gathering dust like the V2 sleepers!
#300 has been running up and down parts of the NEC for testing. I think #301 is at the Wilm Shops for the maintenance crew and #302 & #303 are in D.C, probably getting a look over by their maintenance people.

My friend was on it too and he was in cafe car and said the train was delayed so we chatted on facetime to keep him busy. It was his first time and he says as long hes safe and warm. That's all matters.

He finally got off at Winter Haven at 4:31pm. It was a wild ride for him!
We arrived at Orlando at 5:38PM; so 4:31PM for Winter Haven doesn't sound right. Checking ASMAD, 91 departed WTH at 7:27PM.

Back