11 months out, what time zone and time of day does the next day become bookable?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UserNameRequired

Lead Service Attendant
So I know Amtrack you can book 11 months out.

I am curious, what time of day and what time zone does the next day appear to be able to schedule it? 00:01 Zulu? 00:01 EDT? 08:01 EDT or what?

I ran a search but didn't see the answer in the first page of results, I will end up experimenting if no one knows.

Thanks!

It your intent is to jump on at the first instant inventory becomes available, it is technically 330 days, not 11 months.

It certainly isn't ZULU. It is probably zero dark thirty Eastern. I doubt it is a precise time, because it is probably a result of a nightly batch cycle update and the finish times will vary. I doubt it is 12:01 am on the tick. It is more likely to be sometime between 3 and 5 am and will vary within a schedule window day to day.

If your intent is grab a low bucket, you should be aware that the 11 month in advance strategy no longer works for that and hasn't for several years. Amtrak has gotten more sophisticated in their yield management. They now allocate initial inventory release 330 days in advance among yield management buckets based on an optimistic projection of demand for the travel period. That often means no inventory allocated in the lower buckets at 330 days in advance. They then adjust the allocation as actual demand develops. But it appears they do not revisit the initial allocation for some months.

The best strategy is to check and watch, temper expectations, and know what the buckets approximately are so you can recognize a low one and grab it. If you are traveling mid summer or during the holidays don't expect the lowest bucket ever to appear. If traveling in late January, you ought to be able to get a lower bucket with patience and monitoring. But you don't have to to get up in the middle of the night at 330 days to grab a low fare, because it likely will not be there.

Thanks zephyr17!, yes the intent was 1). low bucket, if possible, and even if not, also 2). we want a bedroom booked because we don't want to ride overnight in coach. I would fly us or drive if the weather is bad instead of coach and pick some other trip to do Amtrak. I will test a few times early in the monring to see, this helps zero in on the time.

In 2009, I booked a cross country trip for 2010. I wanted to make absolutely sure I was able to get the trains and accommodations that I desired, so I attempted to book exactly 11 months out. I made the reservations by phoning. Some days, I could book at 12:01am, some days it was 3am, other days it was 5 or 6am. I ended up getting all the trains and accommodations I desired (including a bedroom on the Cardinal). The round trip was booked in 4 segments, one of which was on points (when zones were still in effect - what a deal-Denver to Seattle)

In 2009, I booked a cross country trip for 2010. I wanted to make absolutely sure I was able to get the trains and accommodations that I desired, so I attempted to book exactly 11 months out. I made the reservations by phoning. Some days, I could book at 12:01am, some days it was 3am, other days it was 5 or 6am. I ended up getting all the trains and accommodations I desired (including a bedroom on the Cardinal). The round trip was booked in 4 segments, one of which was on points (when zones were still in effect - what a deal-Denver to Seattle)
Like I said, end of nightly batch, which varies.

In 2009 the 11 month prior low bucket strategy was working and a good approach. It doesn't really now. It is as dead as the AGR zones.

In 2009 the 11 month prior low bucket strategy was working and a good approach. It doesn't really now. It is as dead as the AGR zones.
Maybe not as dead as you might think! First test for the Crescent from NYP to NOL on 10 Aug 2022 (last available booking date) sees a Roomette at low bucket ($478) for the CZ from EMY to CHI sees a Family Bedroom at low bucket ($886) and for the CONO from CHI to NOL sees a Roomette at low bucket ($319). With Amtrak....

...you can't always sometimes tell what you least expect to happen the most. :)

Last edited:
Well, August is hurricane season, as we just had a lesson on, so maybe they are projecting relatively low demand to New Orleans and allocating inventory accordingly.

I still think your monkey theory is a credible explanation, too, though.

FYI, those same low bucket fares in Post #8 are also offered for those rooms in the opposite direction on 10 Aug 2022.

In addition, on the latest date offered (9 or 10 Aug 2022): a low bucket Family Bedroom is offered on the EB in either full direction for $882; low bucket Roomettes and Bedrooms are offered on the SWC Westbound for $623 and $1013 respectively; low bucket Roomettes can be had on the Cardinal for $394; low bucket Roomettes ($492) on the SS either direction; low bucket Roomettes and Bedrooms ($492 and $930, respectively) on the SM in either direction.

Didn't check any other dates. Earlier ones could all be high bucket for all I know. However, low bucket rooms are indeed available way far out. IMHO, making generalizations about when cheap fares are or are not available is not a prudent thing to do.

Last edited:
I'll usually start checking early, but no longer count on the old 11 month rule, which used to be pretty consistent but is no longer. I don't wait to start checking as long as I am pretty sure of my dates (and I usually am). But I don't expect the almost automatic low bucket at 11 months like I used to, and am unsurprised and not upset when they aren't low bucket. I'll just check back every few weeks until about 7 months out then start checking every week.

I guess my point is there really is no point at getting up at zero dark thirty at 11 months to the day in hopes of snagging a low bucket. Checking sometime within a few days is more than sufficient. As it stands there is no magic bullet, and you just have to watch and wait, knowing that the inventory allocations change. Personally, I prefer to book in the lower two buckets, will sometimes reluctantly go for middle bucket if I don't think it'll drop and my travel plans are otherwise sticky, but will avoid the second highest bucket and especially the high bucket. I will cancel a trip or find alternatives rather than pay high bucket. That isn't very hard, even First Class domestic airfare is typically cheaper than high bucket, usually by quite a bit.

From your checks, it sounds like they are starting to release inventory in more rational allocations instead of just pegging at the higher buckets which they seemed to be doing for awhile for 2022, and inciting no end of wailing and rending of garments here. Hope they start adjusting the closer in dates, like late winter and spring.

Last edited:
BTW, a hand-scribed note on the cover of my tattered paper system timetable sez "Arrow Updated Daily @ 0000PST (0300EST)" but it's been there for years and I never bothered to verify it. Got that from this forum long ago, so take it for what it's worth - maybe ¼ an AGR point?

Not wanting to beat a dead horse, but for the Silvers in either direction on the 10th of each month in 2022, low bucket Roomettes were available on 25 of the 32 occasions.

But that may not mean very much cuz on all the other days they could be at high bucket.

Then too, maybe the 7 occasions found when they were not low bucket (were the next bucket up at $557) were the only ones in that 222 day period from 1 Jan through 10 Aug - all the rest low bucket. (yeah, sure)

Ya gotta love dem buckets! :)

Back