#11 Thru Feather River today (6/14)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael061282

Lead Service Attendant
I have a friend traveling from Tacoma to the Bay Area on #11 last night and today. They were stopped at Klamath Falls for a few hours due to a derailment near Dunsmuir, CA. Instead of the normal bus bridge, evidently Amtrak and BNSF are giving the passengers quite a treat. They were waiting for a pilot to take them through the inside gateway to Keddie and down Feather River on the old Western Pacific to Roseville where Starlight will pick up its normal routing. The pax were told they'd leave Klamath around 2am. I know the Zephyr has detoured through Feather River before, I was on one of those in 2008, I've never heard of the Coast Starlight doing it however. What an amazing trip. Even if they're due to be 6-8 hours later into the Bay Area.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a thread over on Trainorders that indicates 11 left KFS at 4:30 this morning, so they'll get basically a full daylight run of the

detour section. Quite a treat indeed for the 5% of the people on board who will understand the difference, but that will probably be

offset by the "never agains" who just can't seem to understand why some passengers would be delighted about a 7 hour delay.

Oh man!! Anyone know if 14 is doing it NB? Still time to catch it in Sacramento using the San Joaquin!!

There's a thread over on Trainorders that indicates 11 left KFS at 4:30 this morning, so they'll get basically a full daylight run of the detour section. Quite a treat indeed for the 5% of the people on board who will understand the difference, but that will probably be offset by the "never agains" who just can't seem to understand why some passengers would be delighted about a 7 hour delay.
Imagine you get to fly a rare aircraft but that opportunity also comes with a seven hour delay at the airport. It's not that odd to think some folks would rather just get where they're going than check out a beautiful but completely unexpected development.

There's a thread over on Trainorders that indicates 11 left KFS at 4:30 this morning, so they'll get basically a full daylight run of the detour section. Quite a treat indeed for the 5% of the people on board who will understand the difference, but that will probably be offset by the "never agains" who just can't seem to understand why some passengers would be delighted about a 7 hour delay.
Imagine you get to fly a rare aircraft but that opportunity also comes with a seven hour delay at the airport. It's not that odd to think some folks would rather just get where they're going than check out a beautiful but completely unexpected development.
I think you and I are on the same page here.

There's a thread over on Trainorders that indicates 11 left KFS at 4:30 this morning, so they'll get basically a full daylight run of the
detour section. Quite a treat indeed for the 5% of the people on board who will understand the difference, but that will probably be
offset by the "never agains" who just can't seem to understand why some passengers would be delighted about a 7 hour delay.
I guess the "never agains" would really be PO'd if it stops at the Keddie wye for some run-by pics! :giggle:

I got to videotape an excursion train running that route, both from the ground and aboard. It was very cool, and yeah, the K-wye had a ton of spectators. As a videographer I actually had more fun chasing the train, trying to get in the best position for the scenic shots than I did on the train itself. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the heck out of being on so many vintage cars, but seeing those vintage cars cruising down that valley was very special. Oh, by the way, that train consist just happens to be part of movie that just happened to be on when I came home just now...Big Easy Express is the name of the movie.

Great for those on board to get some rare trackage (for those who care!)... not so great for my friend in Emeryville waiting to go south... no projections on a arrival (I assumed about 7-8 hours late)... at this point they may just hop a San Joaquin to Bakersfield and take a bus.

Practicality set in... and the need to be somewhere in the evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back