120V AC Power Question (Again)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp, I made the oddball choice to take a gaming laptop that I intend to take with me on my next trip (Cardinal to Texas Eagle). It's also my work machine so it's a bit harder to eschew.

The last thread I found on the topic (that's how I found this forum) the general recommendation was 100watts.

I would think that's a bit low. I've ridden on the Eagle when it's had the half-sleeper/half-crew car on it and I noticed in an abandoned porter's room there was a 486 computer with LCD monitor. That computer has probably been all over this nation many times over.

So, the laptop I'm bringing has a transformer brick rated 100V-240V 50/60Hz as they all do, but can draw up to 3.2A. On the DC side it outputs 20.0V of power at 14.0A, equivalent to 280 watts. My Killawatt is broken so I'm not sure what the average draw is. The wattage is flexible---as in if I opened a game and the graphics card and fans spin up it's likely to start drawing power---however the transformer itself has a beefy capacitor that will "fill" when first plugged in, so that's a bit moot.

Not quite the watts of a hair dryer (far from it, those are between 750-1875 watts), but certainly 3x more than what I've seen someone recommend here.

I have plugged in 40Ah laptop battery bricks that draw about 250 watts w/o issue. Does anyone know what the realistic recommendation is on room wattage? My understanding is that there isn't an inverter per room, everyone is sharing from a DC distribution fed from the engine (which also powers HVAC). I'm going to be on both a Viewliner and a Superliner on my trip next week.

I don't know any of the technical stuff, but I have and use a gaming laptop. I brought it with me in my last trip to watch some downloaded shows (The Goldbergs, mostly). I didn't have an issue with the charging. I'm sure it was a bit slow, but I wasn't using it the whole time so there was no problem.

Nt 3 of my alt power class I spend about an hour and a half on battery charging, rectifiers and inverters.... differences between actual ac sine wave, and actual square wave, modified s/w and "pure sine wave" inverters, filtered and unfiltered DC, and when it actually matters. In the field, power quality issues can wreak havoc with lots of very sophisticated electronics.... even "dirty grounds"

I would think it would depend on the locomotives used. i have never heard of an issue where a single user has blacked out a train or an airplane for that matter.

The Diesel P42’s most commonly used produce a lot of electricity. i have yet to hear of anyone using too much electricity on a train or even a plane. I would think in a worst case senario, the device would either not have enough power for it to work or a fuse or circuit breaker on the train could trip. I have never heard of any issues.

Can confirm first hand at least 500w of AC power at a coach seat on the Coast Starlight Oct. 2021. Charged my electric unicycle to full from 25% from San Luis Obispo to Los Angeles. Adjacent passengers were charging phones or tablets. Can I also say how amazing and empowering it is that Amtrak is so friendly to our vehicles on their trains. I have taken my EUC on several trips across California, including the final leg of this 350-mile ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. (I got as far as Santa Maria before a charger issue forced me to turn back, thus the train trip from SLO to LA for the final stretch.)

20211020_152234.jpg
20211020_161020.jpg

This is an understatement. Blah blah blah….we blew a transformer in the yard, and it resulted in several tracks losing ground power, as well as the commissary (with the walking refrigerator and freezer). The (temporary) solution?

Hook up a P42 to the system!

So yeah, the real limiting factor is what the breakers can handle.

Back