16 year old denied passage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michele

Today I went to put my 16 year old son on the Carolinian train to North Carolina for an emergency family crisis. An Amtrak employee was there to take his ticket and asked if we were both boarding the train. I indicated 'no', explaining my son was traveling alone. The employee asked his age and then told me he was not old enough to ride without an accompanying adult. I asked for clarification from the conductor who also said he was not old enough. I literally begged the conductor asking him to please make an exception. I was the child's mother and would be happy to sign a release if needed. The conductor said that since we were at an un-manned station, this would be impossible as Amtrak had on official form and a very strict policy. I told the conductor we purchased the ticket in good faith from a reputable travel agency who knew my son was 16 and did not offer any such paperwork. I was again denied. Once again, I begged the conductor who made it very clear to me there would Bo no exceptions forthcoming. His only suggestion was to return to my car and drive 50 miles to the next train station and plead my case in hopes my son could board another south bound train. In other words, follow this train to the next station... Wait 6 hours and board another train. Besides the fact that the reply was absurd, our rationale for putting our son on the train was due to the fact that I had a spinal injury and was not able to tolerate the ride to North Carolina. My son was scheduled to return tomorrow by driving my mother back to our hometown as she was also in a similar predicament. The train left with us standing on the tracks and me feeling like a complete failure. We drove to the travel agency only to find them equally baffled. I insisted they call Amtrak immediately only to find out that the age restriction only applies to those children UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE. The conductor and the Amtrak employee were both incorrect and despite my begging, denied my son passage. We had totally rearranged our entire weekend to try and accommodate a family crisis only to have it magnified. Who is at fault and how can we address this with Amtrak. My son will probably never see his ailing great grandmother alive again and his grandmother is left trying to find another way home.

Today I went to put my 16 year old son on the Carolinian train to North Carolina for an emergency family crisis. An Amtrak employee was there to take his ticket and asked if we were both boarding the train. I indicated 'no', explaining my son was traveling alone. The employee asked his age and then told me he was not old enough to ride without an accompanying adult. I asked for clarification from the conductor who also said he was not old enough. I literally begged the conductor asking him to please make an exception. I was the child's mother and would be happy to sign a release if needed. The conductor said that since we were at an un-manned station, this would be impossible as Amtrak had on official form and a very strict policy. I told the conductor we purchased the ticket in good faith from a reputable travel agency who knew my son was 16 and did not offer any such paperwork. I was again denied. Once again, I begged the conductor who made it very clear to me there would Bo no exceptions forthcoming. His only suggestion was to return to my car and drive 50 miles to the next train station and plead my case in hopes my son could board another south bound train. In other words, follow this train to the next station... Wait 6 hours and board another train. Besides the fact that the reply was absurd, our rationale for putting our son on the train was due to the fact that I had a spinal injury and was not able to tolerate the ride to North Carolina. My son was scheduled to return tomorrow by driving my mother back to our hometown as she was also in a similar predicament. The train left with us standing on the tracks and me feeling like a complete failure. We drove to the travel agency only to find them equally baffled. I insisted they call Amtrak immediately only to find out that the age restriction only applies to those children UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE. The conductor and the Amtrak employee were both incorrect and despite my begging, denied my son passage. We had totally rearranged our entire weekend to try and accommodate a family crisis only to have it magnified. Who is at fault and how can we address this with Amtrak. My son will probably never see his ailing great grandmother alive again and his grandmother is left trying to find another way home.
This forum is in no way associated with or part of Amtrak. While we sympathize with your situation your only recourse is to contact Amtrak directly. Call them and ask for customer assistance or write them a letter explaining your concerns.

The best advice I can give is to call Customer Relations, as stated above.

Also, for cases where there can be a shadow of a doubt, it may help to have a printout of the rules. Begging and pleading is going to change nothing.
sad.gif

Yes, by all means call Amtrak Customer Relations. They should refund your money since their employees made a mistake.

Another example of Amtrak Rules: "Depends on who you talk to as to what they are": :(

Sounds like there is a need for some more INSERVICE training for employees :eek:hboy:

Just to make one thing clear. Amtrak does NOT offer refunds. Only the transportation certificates. While to policy says 16 and over can ride with no adults. I asked once for a refund of my first class upgrade after I received awful service one time. The CR agent stated Amtrak does NOT offer refunds just the Transportation Certificates. You can always ask for a refund but the chances you get a yes are slim.

Just my experience.

They CAN offer a voucher for future Amtrak travel though.

Trust me (and us), Amtrak is rarely as bad as you experienced. Sounds like that conductor needs a refresher course.

When you call, make sure you provide the name of the conductor (did you get it?), or if not, the date, train, direction, and station.

Just to make one thing clear. Amtrak does NOT offer refunds. Only the transportation certificates. While to policy says 16 and over can ride with no adults. I asked once for a refund of my first class upgrade after I received awful service one time. The CR agent stated Amtrak does NOT offer refunds just the Transportation Certificates. You can always ask for a refund but the chances you get a yes are slim.

Just my experience.
I almost never advocate this, but if customer relations won't offer a full refund of the fare after the passenger was improperly denied boarding, I would then contest the charge for the ticket on my credit card.

It is a completely different situation to ask for a refund of the first class fare on acela for poor service - you still got where you needed to go and I am assuming they gave you some food and beverage - vs. the situation that the OP has. If her son was truly 16 or older there are no restrictions on travel. She shouldn't have had to beg for an exception to the rule as one was not needed. She was well within the published rules and regulations of amtrak.

Just my experience.
Patently wrong. Go here: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267288550

And even here, the refund policy IS flexible. In the OP's case, I think he would get a full refund, with no service charge. Refunds generally are not given in person at a ticket counter (though I do know of it having happened), but for service recovery purposes, this one would be expedited.

Begging does not solve any prolem, it only worsens it! Call or go to the nearest manned station.

I think Amtrak conductors are not part of the service crew, and may be from a freight railroad. He might not know or remember all the regulations. Who was the other employee?

Is there some reason that possibly the train employees and the conductor might have doubted that your son was truly 16?
That could be the facts behind all this.

It might also be the conductor was told "almost 16" an we are just not getting that tidbit ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry and sympathize with you. This sounds like another case of Amtrak employees being headstrong and unflexible. These few employees do not realize the impact they make on the people they infect/affect. I would bet the OP will never consider riding Amtrak again, let alone how many people she will sour on Amtrak just by relating her story to them.__ . "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance- that priciple is contempt prior to investigation."-Herbert Spencer

The OP did say something that her son was going to drive his grandmother home, so in most states driving age is 16 I beleive.

I am not doubting the original poster but I wasn't there to see what happened. Maybe he looked young? Maybe they asked to see ID and he didn't have any (isn't an Amtrak rule to have ID)? Maybe momma didn't cut the cord and was treating her son like a baby getting him on the train? Maybe in the conductors discression he didn't feel this boy was able to ride by himself?

Just my experience.
Patently wrong. Go here: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267288550

And even here, the refund policy IS flexible. In the OP's case, I think he would get a full refund, with no service charge. Refunds generally are not given in person at a ticket counter (though I do know of it having happened), but for service recovery purposes, this one would be expedited.
The ticket was printed and the travel date has past.. No refund will be issued. Amtrak sticks to their guns on that.... We can all dream on that. To get a full refund without the 10% charge or a travel voucher you would have to cancel before departure time. I don't know if that includes if the train is late but the ticket wasn't cancelled at all there for the ticket is valid.

Just my experience.
I almost never advocate this, but if customer relations won't offer a full refund of the fare after the passenger was improperly denied boarding, I would then contest the charge for the ticket on my credit card.

It is a completely different situation to ask for a refund of the first class fare on acela for poor service - you still got where you needed to go and I am assuming they gave you some food and beverage - vs. the situation that the OP has. If her son was truly 16 or older there are no restrictions on travel. She shouldn't have had to beg for an exception to the rule as one was not needed. She was well within the published rules and regulations of amtrak.
You could contest it, but it wouldn't go far. I had this same idea a few months ago and the way it was explained made sense.

The ticket was in hand. Amtrak will show the CC company that it was paid for and printed which means in hand.. The bottom line is the Credit Card holder would lose in the on that challenge.

Just my experience.

The ticket was printed and the travel date has past.. No refund will be issued. Amtrak sticks to their guns on that.... We can all dream on that. To get a full refund without the 10% charge or a travel voucher you would have to cancel before departure time. I don't know if that includes if the train is late but the ticket wasn't cancelled at all there for the ticket is valid.
And the OP's son was not allowed to travel. It's not like he missed the train. I think there is a difference. But if the son was going to drive granny home, I don't know why he couldn't drive down and get granny. I guess it pays to "look like you know what you're doing" eh Johnny :lol:

Just my experience.
Patently wrong. Go here: http://www.amtrak.co...d=1241267288550

And the OP's son was not allowed to travel. It's not like he missed the train. I think there is a difference. But if the son was going to drive granny home, I don't know why he couldn't drive down and get granny. I guess it pays to "look like you know what you're doing" eh Johnny :lol:
Perhaps he was going one-way in order to pick up his grandmother and drive her back in her car. Who knows but as one who rode from WAS to NHV long ago when I was 12, alone with none of this rigamorle, I'd say let the young man ride. People need to check out freerangekids dot com and realize how much we have become parnoid and infantilize our children. (says one who hopes his teenagers obtain their pilots licenses in a couple of years when they are first allowed to).

Blue skies ..

I'd think if he was driving his grandmother down he'd have his license on him.

Yes but the OP was claiming the conductor was enforcing a policy that 16 year olds may not travel unaccompanied. So even if he had a driver's license showing 16 it wouldn't have mattered. Allegedly. This sort of reminds me of the thread a few weeks ago when a woman (family?) was put of the train and arrested in Ashland, VA. Trouble is, we are only hearing one side of the story. Worse, for many of us, this story seems plausible because of inconsistent service standards we have observed riding the rails so claims like this fit into a pre-existing narrative, even when not true. Frankly, if I worked for Amtrak I'd be extremely frustrated at the bad apples who while few in number carry a disproportionately negative influence in how people see my job and my work product.

Just my experience.
Patently wrong. Go here: http://www.amtrak.co...d=1241267288550

And the OP's son was not allowed to travel. It's not like he missed the train. I think there is a difference.
Yes, there is a significant difference. It is a wholly unacceptable outcome to be penalized for the indisputable incompetence of these Amtrak employees. Accept nothing less than a full refund and escalate it as high into the organization as it takes to attain a satisfactory conclusion.

And just like all the other threads like this I'm sure the OP was probably just venting. I'd love to know how it ultimately resolves.

You would think Amtrak would conductors would have some kind of rule book that they carry with them. When an issue like this comes up it could have been easily resolved if he opened a rule book and either pointed out to the woman the rule that a 16 year old couldn't ride alone or he was wrong and he could ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back