1938 train... Britain's oldest train stock?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the wood paneling. Of course, the seats have been refurbished. Do you think that those cars may have still been in use in the Tube as late as 1970? That was my first time in London, and there were still some very old trains on some of the lines.

Interesting that a few people appear to not be wearing masks.

Love the wood paneling. Of course, the seats have been refurbished. Do you think that those cars may have still been in use in the Tube as late as 1970? That was my first time in London, and there were still some very old trains on some of the lines.
Interesting that a few people appear to not be wearing masks.

I was thinking the same about the old tube trains, I am pretty sure these old cars were in use in the early 1970's. I remember they had wooden slatted floors, and a particular dusty odour. I have in mind a certain seat fabric that I associate with London Transport, but it seems they used quite a few different ones. The fabric shown is the one I remember. The tube train picture is of a refurbished 1938 train car, funny how one forgets the details, the wide armrests, the rounded hanging supports, even the tops of the windows opening. Pleased I remembered the slatted flooring. :)
rt bus fabric..jpg tube 1938.jpg

Folk are currently supposed to wear masks on public transport and when in shops in the UK, I can't recall exactly when the rules came in, they seem to chop and change advice frequently. We tend to not challenge folk who don't comply with such things, it seems to be younger people who won't wear masks easily. I think more and more people are wearing masks each day, but I don't use the bus or train, so can't be sure!

I was thinking the same about the old tube trains, I am pretty sure these old cars were in use in the early 1970's.

I think longer than that. The Bakerloo line being their last haunt where I believe you could still occassionally see one well into the 1980s.

Edit: Wikipedia says their last day in service was
19 May 1988.

Back