Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved CP Air! The Food and Service were Exceptional, especially in First Class! 😍

Canadian Pacific knew how to run a passenger service!!......from the railway's The Canadian to CP Hotels and transatlantic White Empress Ocean Liners. When new.....the Upper Deck First Class Lounge of the '747 Jumbo Jets was configured like an old style Railway Parlour Car of the 1890s.

This '747 is at Halifax.....just in from Amsterdam.

Canadian Pacific knew how to run a passenger service!!......from the railway's The Canadian to CP Hotels and transatlantic White Empress Ocean Liners. When new.....the Upper Deck First Class Lounge of the '747 Jumbo Jets was configured like an old style Railway Parlour Car of the 1890s.

Never got to ride on their 747s or Ocean Liners,, but as you said everything was First Class!

I had Salmon in FC on one of their Flights from San Francisco to Vancouver in the late 70s that was the Best Airline Food I ever had!( and I was a Million Mile Flyer!!)

And of course their Hotels and Trains were World Class too!😍

CP Air, later Canadian Airlines, is responsible for our longtime loyalty to American Airlines to this day. They were partners back then and when CP went bankrupt after the government refused AA's request to increase their ownership share (through a third-party company), Air Canada and American were left to divide the spoils of the "fallen flag". We both had some status with Canadian at the time, which Air Canada declined to recognize. On the other hand, American welcomed us with open arms and a few million miles later we're still with them. A lot of Air Canada's premium routes were inherited from CP.

Eastbound on CP Air and Air Canada to a Transport 2000 conference in Ottawa. Then a Rapido to Montreal, and the Super Continental back to Edmonton in a Bedroom. Our son was two years old.
Good report, taking advantage of the word processor of the day I see. :D Man, I don't miss that.

I won't delve into politics much beyond your "arrogance" reference, but some things never change when a government has invested in one project at the expense of others or is influenced by special interests.

Had my first ride on a 747 on CP Air...
I was looking for the shortest (read cheapest) flight I could find to fly it. Booked Montreal to Toronto first class in seat 1A...I was hoping that by holding my cheek against the window, I might get a glimpse of a forward view, due to the curvature of the fuselage, but alas, still couldn't due to the distance between the inner and outer panes...:)

Good report, taking advantage of the word processor of the day I see. :D Man, I don't miss that.

I won't delve into politics much beyond your "arrogance" reference, but some things never change when a government has invested in one project at the expense of others or is influenced by special interests.

In my own work I always tried to keep that experience in mind. Of course, being in the transit business I was within arm's reach of the customers!

Back