1994 Oakland, CA to Greensburg, PA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglev

Conductor
This trip was meant to coincide with the 125th anniversary of the Trans-Continental Railroad, but nobody else ever caught on to that significance. It was my wife's first trip across the country by ground transportation, and my first time on Amtrak in a sleeper (I went across Canada in an open section lower in 1975, and took a round-trip cross-country on Amtrak in coach at New Year 1978). We flew from Maui to San Francisco, and spent a couple days doing tourist stuff and riding BART. I had lived in Oakland as a child watching BART be constructed in 1966, so it was fun to zip over the segment I saw under construction.

We rode the Thruway bus from the Ferry Building to Oakland, and my memory is that the Oakland station was on the waterfront. We had two P30CH's F40PH's as locomotives to Salt Lake City, where we joined the Desert Wind and switched to what I knew as an AMD-103 "Genesis" locomotive and a "Pepsi Can" Dash 8. The Pioneer was not running the day we got to Denver.

Our Superliner Deluxe Bedroom on the California Zephyr seemed modern, spacious, and comfortable. I liked the old style folding chair (which went under the bed at night) over the new, safer, fixed chair; as it was more comfortable and it was nice to have that extra floor space at night. But our Heritage Bedroom on the Broadway Limited was a disappointment. We were first assigned to a room with a long couch, but that seemed awkward so we were moved to the other style Bedroom with two chairs. Still, the car was in poor repair and there was a urine stain on one of the seats. As sometimes happened in those days, someone was smoking through the night. But the Amfleet Dinette on that train had a much better suspension, and the food was good if not freshly-made. When we got to Greensburg, my wife thought it was a real honor that the train was spotted for us alone to get off our sleeper.

Several of these photos are taken outside an open window, which is something that I no longer due for safety and legal reasons. But I should note that just before taking the picture of the Mississippi River, I opened the door to let out a passenger because neither the SCA nor Conductor were there.

IMG_8228.jpeg
Climbing the Sierras

IMG_7409.jpeg
Colorado

IMG_8235.jpeg
Colorado

IMG_8230.jpeg
New locomotive

IMG_8229.jpeg
New type of car

IMG_8225.jpeg
Colorado

IMG_8232.jpeg
Mississippi River

IMG_8224.jpeg
Breakfast on the Broadway Limited

Last edited:
Nice report, thanks for posting!:)
You said you had P30CH's from Oakland to SLC....looks to me more like F40PH's in that first photo....🤔

Which Heritage sleeper did you have on the Broadway Limited. Mine was still in revenue service up until 1996 so I'm wondering if that was it. I would love to see some photos of it if you have it. Even if it isn't mine I'll forward it to the new owner.

Which Heritage sleeper did you have on the Broadway Limited. Mine was still in revenue service up until 1996 so I'm wondering if that was it. I would love to see some photos of it if you have it. Even if it isn't mine I'll forward it to the new owner.

I'm sorry, I don't remember the name (but if you told me the name of your car, it might jog my memory). Also, these are all the train photos I have from that trip--film photography was a somewhat expensive proposition for me, and I think if I had taken one of our precious photos of THAT sleeper, my wife would have smacked me! Not only was Amtrak's maintenance somewhat lacking at that point, but also I think Pullman had perfected design and amenities when they built the first Superliners.

During the Big Quake of '89, this Station suffered lots of damage, and while the New Oakland Station in Jack London Square was being built, it was allowed to deteriorate.It was Closed in August of 1994.

The Neighborhood around the 16th St. Station,Prescott,was always sort of shakey.
I had no reason to venture out into the 'hood...OAK was just the place to transfer from the train to the Ambus to San Francisco.

I'm sorry, I don't remember the name (but if you told me the name of your car, it might jog my memory). Also, these are all the train photos I have from that trip--film photography was a somewhat expensive proposition for me, and I think if I had taken one of our precious photos of THAT sleeper, my wife would have smacked me! Not only was Amtrak's maintenance somewhat lacking at that point, but also I think Pullman had perfected design and amenities when they built the first Superliners.

Pacific Park is the cars name it was built in 1950 for Union Pacific as a 10/6 Sleeper. Amtrak converted it in 1996 into a crew dorm by tearing the 6 double bedrooms out, and leaving the 10 roomettes in. They also added extra shower facilities, and toilets. It was retired in 2006, and purchased by my friends and I in 2020.

Back