1st time train rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jarod bailey

This will be my first Amtrak trip. I paid for the upgrade to Business class as that seemed to be the highest that was offered. I will be traveling from Charlotte NC to Washington DC. Just wondering if I should pack my food. What kind of seat will I have? Is there a bar car? Things like this. Need a pillow? General things like this would help. Please e-mail to [email protected]

I often ride with the Carolinian between Washington, D.C. and Raleigh, NC, and always do so in business class. Regular coach can get very crowded. I always travel light. I bring no pillows, food, or appliances; just my cellular phone, a small laptop and my work togther with a small bag with my clothing for the overhead. I've never wanted for anything, and like the movies in business class when I get distracted.

I have never ridden the Carolinian but the business class seat will be quite nice, more like an airline first class, much larger than airline coach.

Your train has a dinette, which serves sandwiches, snacks and beverages. Also, there are complimentary non-alcoholic drinks in your business class car.

If you take the trip again, you might consider going one way on The Crescent and get a feel of riding the train at night and seeing different scenery, esp. at the WAS end. The Crescent 's northbound departure 1.49 a.m. would probably be less brutal than riding it southbound arriving 3 a.m. Of course that is a person call.

I travel a great deal on business, and take Amtrak, rather than fly, whenever my schedule can possibly accommodate it. I’ll change my schedule to ride the train if possible. I like the big seats with lots of personal space, the lack of seat belts, the freedom to walk around whenever I want to, meeting people, the scenery (there’s nothing to see outside a plane window), the power outlets next to my business class seat, and the food. Even the snack bar on Amtrak is lots better than whatever is left of airline food. Also, today’s security measures and the TSA (Those Standing Around) make for a very humiliating travel experience in the air. Today, I absolutely depend on the time I enjoy on Amtrak to get my work done, because I can’t get anything accomplished in airports on in the tiny aircraft seats these days. You should find your first experience on Amtrak a refreshing change from the tedium of driving or the humiliation of air travel.

There isn't a bar car as such, but the dinette has a not-bad selection of beer, wine, and whatever. I like my scotch neat and single malted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back