1st time travelers. Family of 5

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_5ofu5_*

Hello all.

My family and myself are traveling from Chicago to Austin, TX on Amtrak in about a week. I have booked a Family room for our trip figuring it would give my kids an awesome train experience.

My questions are about the storage in the room for luggage and about our meals.

Luggage dimensions and quantity:

(2) 18.5in x 11in x 29in

(1) 8in x 16.5in x 14in

A Laptop bag

A Camera Case

Is there storage in our room for all of our bags? We read there was a closet and we were allowed 3 bags in our room, but wasn't sure about size of storage in our room.

Also do all 5 of us get our meals paid for? We weren't sure considering there's basically only 4 beds in the room.

I think those are the only questions my wife and I can think of right now.

Thank you

TS

Hello all.
My family and myself are traveling from Chicago to Austin, TX on Amtrak in about a week. I have booked a Family room for our trip figuring it would give my kids an awesome train experience.

(2) 18.5in x 11in x 29in

(1) 8in x 16.5in x 14in

A Laptop bag

A Camera Case

Is there storage in our room for all of our bags? We read there was a closet and we were allowed 3 bags in our room, but wasn't sure about size of storage in our room.

Also do all 5 of us get our meals paid for? We weren't sure considering there's basically only 4 beds in the room.
There is a luggage rack downstairs right by the door as you get on the train, also the family room has some floor space to store small bags.. CHI-AUS on the Eagle you can check luggage also if desired. There is no limit on the number of bags in reality that you can carry on as long as you can handle them yourself. If you check bags they cant be over 50 lbs(they will be weighed), also the camera bag and laptop bag dont count as luggage in your limit,

therefore youre in good shape. You didnt say how old your kids are but the two children beds in the family room are very small. As to meals, if they sold you five tickets it would surprise me since the family room is supposed to be for 4 unless one of the kids is an infant.(There will be 4 meals between CHI-AUS, dinner/breakfast/lunch and an early dinner (like 4PM)between FTW and AUS since the diner crew gets off in AUS.) There is a limited kids menu in the diner (it's called a Cross Country Cafe on this train), if the 5th meal isnt included you can always pay for meal in the diner, also the Sightseer Lounge has snacks etc. @ fairly high prices, I would seriously consider bringing your own snacks, most people do even in the sleepers! Others might have better info

on the 5th person question, have a great trip, wave when yall get to Austin! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There really is not much room in your room for luggage storage. However, there is a common luggage storage rack on the lower level of the car. This is less than 15 feet away! I would store all your luggage there. The things I would store in your room are valuables - like your laptop, camera, purses, etc...

As far as meals, you will receive 3 included meals per day IN THE DINING CAR per passenger - up to the stated occupancy of the room! I could be wrong, but I believe that is 4 passengers for the Family Room!

Hello all.

(2) 18.5in x 11in x 29in

(1) 8in x 16.5in x 14in

A Laptop bag

A Camera Case

Thank you

TS
Welcome to the board!

There are two closets, but the depth is the question. If your larger bags do not fit, you can store the in the luggage rack which in right inside the door as you board, a few steps from your bedroom. You can actually carry on 2 carryon bags per person, or check them if you need to. I have not had any problems carrying on more, even when I needed help. You are allowed 3 checked bags per person, up to 50 lbs. There is an interactive on amtrak here. Click on lower level.

All your meals are included. (Not Alcohol)

Enjoy your trip!

Looks like we all answered at the same time!

On the Amtrak website it says meals are included for sleeper passengers, but nothing about how many. That is the policy I would treat as true. There may be other internal policies, but they are not published as what you will receive. If they don't give you meals for 5 don't make a fuss, just call Amtrak customer relations and work it out with them. Surprisingly customer relations is usually pretty good, an oddity in this world of most companies having customer service hell, but if they don't want to play ball you can always dispute your credit card.

Thank you all for replies.

Kids ages are 6, 10 & 14.

I've looked at dimensions of room and beds. The kids will be fine, but the mrs. and myself will be squished on the lower berth. We'll sleep sitting up if need be as long as the boys are fine.

When I tried making reservations online it wouldn't let me make it with 5 of us with room. So I called in and asked for room and asked if 5 of us in room was ok, I swore the lady told me the room actually hold 5-6 people, but I could be wrong. So I am hoping meals are included for all of us. That was also a reason why I got a room. I wanted Bedroom suite, but just couldn't afford.

I read about and saw the luggage area right by our room, but wasn't sure if we were allowed to access it while on train. We planned on holding our change of clothes for train and snacks in one of the bags.

We actually plan on taking as much non-perishable food with us to save on money for trip. That's what one of the big bags are for, lol, just food and juice boxes.

I'll weigh all bags before and make sure they are under 50lbs.

How do sleeper passengers pay for food then? Do we just show them our sleeper ticket when we get the bill?

BTW This is our first trip out of midwest. We have never been further than 3 hours away (by car) from Chicago.

So this is a HUGE vacation for us. We are all very excited.

Thank you again

TS

Thank you all for replies.Kids ages are 6, 10 & 14.

I've looked at dimensions of room and beds. The kids will be fine, but the mrs. and myself will be squished on the lower berth. We'll sleep sitting up if need be as long as the boys are fine.

When I tried making reservations online it wouldn't let me make it with 5 of us with room. So I called in and asked for room and asked if 5 of us in room was ok, I swore the lady told me the room actually hold 5-6 people, but I could be wrong. So I am hoping meals are included for all of us. That was also a reason why I got a room. I wanted Bedroom suite, but just couldn't afford.

I read about and saw the luggage area right by our room, but wasn't sure if we were allowed to access it while on train. We planned on holding our change of clothes for train and snacks in one of the bags.

We actually plan on taking as much non-perishable food with us to save on money for trip. That's what one of the big bags are for, lol, just food and juice boxes.

How do sleeper passengers pay for food then? Do we just show them our sleeper ticket when we get the bill?

Thank you again

TS
I am assuming if they booked 5 then they should feed 5. When you go to the diner, they put dinner tickets in front of you. You put your car#, room #, & sign it. If you purchase from a snack bar, you have to pay for that. I neglected to mention beverages are free with the meals too. In case you aren't aware, there's a coffee station upstairs in the sleeper, too. They also usually have juices, bottled water & sometimes I have seen fruit, too. All included in the sleeper ticket. I would just bring a few snack type things for between meals if you need them. Make sure you have signed your whole family up with Amtrak Guest Rewards on amtrak.com , then call Amtrak & add the # to the tickets. That way you can get points towards getting free trips.

I read about and saw the luggage area right by our room, but wasn't sure if we were allowed to access it while on train. We planned on holding our change of clothes for train and snacks in one of the bags.We actually plan on taking as much non-perishable food with us to save on money for trip. That's what one of the big bags are for, lol, just food and juice boxes.

The common luggage rack is just that - a common storage area for all passengers! ;)

I myself just place my bags there and then just take a small bag with a change of clothes, etc... to my room. In fact, sometimes I leave all my luggage there. Then when I go to change or take a shower (which is on the lower level), I can just grab the clothes out of my bag. And when I'm done, I can put the clothes back in the bag and put the bag back in the rack.

As I said before, the only things I bring to my room are things like my laptop and camera.

The only time the weight has to be under 50 lbs is if you will be checking your bag(s). If you carry them on, nobody will care if it weighs 52.5 or 57 lbs! If you can carry it, nobody will question it! ;)

On the Amtrak website it says meals are included for sleeper passengers, but nothing about how many.
The rule is that meals are included - up to the stated occupancy of the type of the accommodation.
It says "maximum occupancy" but nowhere defines that number. They give the "recommended occupancy" on the website which is different. It is vague and bound to **** people off. It is not hard to explicitly define how things work.

yesterday on the Empire Builder a family of 4 had the family room from MSP-CHI fr some reason they wanted a 5th meal, and the dining car LSA said they were allotted 5 and gave it to them. I'd never seen that before, but we had a pretty good dining crew this trip so maybe she was just making her own rules up

Thank you again for replies.

Is there a place to buy Amtrak souvenirs? Figured I'd try to get my kids something to remember train ride if not too expensive and if they have anything.

Guess we'll just have to see if they give us 5 meals. It's definitely a little reassuring though after reading your post Michael.

I also heard you have to reserve your seat in the dining car, Is that true?

Not sure how the view will be going from IL to TX, but I'm pretty sure just the Train ride in itself will be great.

We'll probably just put the 2 big bags in the lower storage and take the small one with camera and laptop into room. We just plan on washing up putting on deodorant and changing our shirts.

So the small bag will probably be enough.

Are there keys to the room? As in is it safe to leave my camera and laptop in room while we explore the train?

Also should I buy some of those small locks for our suitcases?

Thank you

TS

Is there a place to buy Amtrak souvenirs? Figured I'd try to get my kids something to remember train ride if not too expensive and if they have anything.

Guess we'll just have to see if they give us 5 meals. It's definitely a little reassuring though after reading your post Michael.

Not sure how the view will be going from IL to TX, but I'm pretty sure just the Train ride in itself will be great.

We'll probably just put the 2 big bags in the lower storage and take the small one with camera and laptop into room. We just plan on washing up putting on deodorant and changing our shirts.

Are there keys to the room? As in is it safe to leave my camera and laptop in room while we explore the train?

Thank you

TS
You will find souvenirs in the snack bar(lower level of sightseer car).

They usually announce reservations for lunch & dinner, they come around and take down the time that you want to go eat. Then they announce it overhead too.

You will be right near the shower if you want it.

There are no keys for the rooms, but they do lock from the inside. Most people leave stuff in their rooms, just cover them up or put them in your bag. Your room actually has a real door instead of a sliding door.

Yes, put some little locks on the the suitcases that you will leave in the luggage rack. You will need them for your checked luggage, too.

Thank you

TS
Since the family room is on the lower level, the common luggage rack would be very convienent anyway. You'll be able to get stuff out and put stuff in as you need to. That rack will only be about 10' down the hall from your room.

The lead service attendant will pass through the train taking reservations for each meal a couple of hours before meal service starts. The reservations are for specific times. They'll announce when they are going to take them. Just have someone stay in your room until they to you. They usually go through the sleepers first, then the coaches, then the lounge.

There are no keys to the rooms, only a latch that you can secure the door with from the inside. However, after thousands of miles in sleepers, I have never had a problem and I do travel with camera, laptop, etc. Just don't leave it in plain sight, and make sure the door is closed. The crews are usually good about keeping people out of the sleepers who don't belong there. Further, the family room is at the end of a dead-end hall, so there won't be any traffic passing by.

They sell some souveniers in the lounge car, postcards, packs of cards, sometimes caps or keyrings. If you want something, get it early in the trip out of Chicago, because they sometimes sell out, and if it is gone, it is gone.

Everyone who has a ticket for a sleeper is entitled to a meal in the dining car. You should definately get 5 meals since each one of you is reserved in a sleeper. I have also travelled many miles and never had a problem with security on the train.

Not sure how the view will be going from IL to TX,
Since others answered your questions Ill try to tell about the route:It's interesting leaving CHI as you roll through the railyards,crossing the river etc. as the train lines up for the run to STL. The Prison and Station in Joliet are interesting to see, Lincoln is just a brief stop but it's where Abe lived and worked before going to WAS, Springfield of course has the Capital, then Southern Ill is mostly corn fields but the Wind farms are interesting to see on the praries. The entry into STL. is very pretty along the river on the ILL side, passing the arch and into the station. This will be a rest stop, depending on time maybe 20-30 minutes, the last real one until LRK in the middle of the night. It will be dark until you get close to Texas (if the train is on time which it has been most days this year!), the stop in Texarkana is half in Texas/half in ARK, this is where breakfast will probably be served, they dont make announcements on this train between 10PM-7AM,quiet hour1) so ask your SCa when they start serving, dinner is usually the only meal that takes reservations but if the train is full they might do lunch?

Rolling through East Texas will be Piney woods, swamps and oil towns, not a lot to see except for the trees, youll stop in Longview (rest stop) where pax catch the bus for Houston and La, then Marshall is the next stop but you cant get off there but they change crews and theres a restored depot that looks pretty Victorian. Dallas will be a rest stop, sometimes long, it's right downtown, yourea block from Dealy Plaza and the Book Depositiry museum, youll cross the rail trestle where you can look to the right where JFK was killed, then on to Fort Worth (past the new Cowboy Stadium, looks like the mother ship landed on the prarie in Arlington, Six flags and the Texas Ranger Baseball stadium is also there)where youll change crews and have another long stop if ontime or early, sometimes its over an hour! Then youll roll out down through Cleburne (old Santa Fe yards and repair facilites)!,Dinner will be announced for one serving only about 4PM past Crawford (Pres Bush's

ranch is close, they sometimes eat/hang out in that little town), into Temple where theres a large rail yard, a beautiful restored Santa Fe Depot (its now a museum with old train cars/engines etc, parked there), this is your last rest stop,then down the line on fairly rough track through farm land ,over a few rivers and small farming towns to a brief stop in Taylor, and old rail and farming town (UPs Regional HQs are here @ the depot/yard), some of the best Bar-B-Q in texas is in this little burg, it should be getting towards sundown by this time, youll roll through Round Rock (Dell HQs), then down into Austin where you wil run down the middle of the MOPAC Expressway (cars on both sides, old Missouri Pacific railline)into the Austin Station which is right downtown but hard to get to/from(if someone isnt picking you up a taxi will be available and the station is open for checked luggage until the train leaves, the agents are very friendly here! ;) ! I think in the daylight youll want to be in the sightseer lounge car and also get exercise walking the train from end to end, when it comes to stops sometimes the sleeper doesnt open up and you might have to get out in coach, ask your attendants! Be sure and use your route guide and schedule, it should be in your room but if not ask your SCA! Have a great trip, Ive ridden this train perhaps 50 times, am leaving in the opposite direction Wed. and it never gets old, I'm just as excited as newbies and kids, isnt it great! ;) :) :cool:

Thank you much for the replies all. Very much appreciated.

I've been trying to research about the train trip as much as possible to ensure a fantastic trip for my family and myself.

We'll most likely just buy the souvenirs on the train (unless they are ALOT cheaper online, lol) just for the memories for the kids. We might wait for return trip though.

I've been reading a thread of what to bring on train with you, which has some interesting items that I would not have thought of taking.

Thank you much for that jim. Nice to know what to keep an eye out for.

**I was just reading about Baggage policy on Amtrak.com and it says 2 carry on and each carry-on bag may not exceed 28 x 22 x 14 inches in size.

I thought I read we could carry on 3 and the bag size was larger. Are those policies for Coach and not Sleepers?**

Is there a way to figure how many Reward points you'd earn for a trip? I wasn't going to sign up for Reward points at first, because honestly we're not wealthy and this will probably be our only time traveling by train, well at least for many years. But I figured what the heck, I'd see just how many points I would get for us 5 traveling considering it's round trip. Maybe if we get enough the Mrs. and myself might be able to take a trip sometime.

Thank you again

Thank you much for the replies all. Very much appreciated.
I've been trying to research about the train trip as much as possible to ensure a fantastic trip for my family and myself.

We'll most likely just buy the souvenirs on the train (unless they are ALOT cheaper online, lol) just for the memories for the kids. We might wait for return trip though.

I've been reading a thread of what to bring on train with you, which has some interesting items that I would not have thought of taking.

Thank you much for that jim. Nice to know what to keep an eye out for.

**I was just reading about Baggage policy on Amtrak.com and it says 2 carry on and each carry-on bag may not exceed 28 x 22 x 14 inches in size.

I thought I read we could carry on 3 and the bag size was larger. Are those policies for Coach and not Sleepers?**

Is there a way to figure how many Reward points you'd earn for a trip? I wasn't going to sign up for Reward points at first, because honestly we're not wealthy and this will probably be our only time traveling by train, well at least for many years. But I figured what the heck, I'd see just how many points I would get for us 5 traveling considering it's round trip. Maybe if we get enough the Mrs. and myself might be able to take a trip sometime.

Thank you again
Here are the guidelines:

Guidelines for Carry-On Baggage

* Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Not included in this limit are personal items such as purses, briefcases, laptop computers, baby items such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats, and equipment required for a passenger's medical condition such as breathing assistance devices and oxygen tanks.

* 50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.

* Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28 x 22 x 14 inches in size.

Guidelines for Checked Baggage

Amtrak offers checked baggage service at many stations and on many trains and Amtrak Thruway motorcoaches throughout the country. Not all trains and stations offer checked baggage services.

* Three-Piece Limit: Each ticketed passenger may check up to three pieces of luggage at no charge. Up to three additional pieces may be checked upon payment of $10.00 per piece.

* 50-Pound Limit: Each checked bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs. We will not accept heavier pieces.

* Size Limit: Each checked bag may not exceed 36 x 36 x 36 inches in size.

* Check-In Time: Check all baggage at least 30 minutes prior to departure. Allow additional time at larger stations, during busy travel, if you have special items or also need to obtain tickets. Baggage checked less than 30 minutes prior to departure may be delayed.

* Suitable Bags: Pack your baggage using sturdy luggage or containers that are capable of withstanding expected handling. Please note that we do not accept plastic storage containers, lightweight suit bags and other similar items as checked baggage.

* Baggage Tags: Attach your name and address to each item. Free identification tags are available at stations or from crew members, or you may use your own.

Please note the size of the bags. And the items that aren't part of your carryon limit. Many here have said that even if the carryons are larger, or if you have more than you are supposed to for carryon, you don't have a problem, as long as you can manage to get them on board. My experience is that we had FOUR carryons, a laptop, a camera bag, purse & a small cooler designed to hold wine bottles. We had no problems at all.

Here is the website for Amtrak Guest Rewards. I suggest you sign everyone up. https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/index.cf...p;loc=info.html

You would need as little as 15,000 points to get a roomette for two for a 'one zone' trip. Signing up is free.

Have a great trip!

I already did sign up actually. Is there a reason I should put everyone on the Rewards points?

I just put myself on all the tickets for our family. I wasn't sure how else to really do it.

I honestly don't see us even using them though. There's almost no way we'd be able to have money to go on another trip within 3 years.

Well with 2 points per $ spent, that gives us about 2900 points, + the 500 free for signing up, so I'll get about 3400 points then and I see that'll get me......well, not much at all, lol.

Oh well.

I tried asking my wife if she would like to take some wine on the train, but she doesn't think it'd be fun to drink on the train or get tipsy.

My wife and myself can handle our bags ourselves, so hopefully nobody will bother us about our 1 extra bag and 2, little oversized, bigger bags.

Thank you

5of5,

The way that AGR works, if your listed first on the reservation, you will earn points for the price of the room and for the rail fare that you paid. You will not earn points for the other 4 tickets for the rest of your family members. Only they can earn points for those tickets, assuming that each one has their own AGR account. If they don't have accounts, then those points are lost.

As for the points expiring, remember you don't have to take a big trip like you're doing now. Something as simple as riding one stop on any train in coach every three years will keep your points from expiring.

I thought I read we could carry on 3 and the bag size was larger. Are those policies for Coach and not Sleepers?
The 3 is only the number of bags you can CHECK for free PER PERSON! You are technically allowed 2 carry-ons PER PERSON - however I've never seen this enforced!

You get 2 AGR points per dollar spent on Amtrak travel, with a 100 point minimum per segment. Thus if your ticket is $10, you earn 100 points. If your ticket is $40, you earn 100 points. If your ticket is $237, you earn 474 points!

I certainly would sign up for AGR, and I would sign everyone up for it! My sister does not travel by train all that often. Prior to a trip a few years ago, I signed her up. She has already redeemed 1 award, and has enough for a second award! And with you living near Chicago (I think), you could redeem on many short routes for 1,000 points!

You do not need to, but there is currently a sign up promotion where if someone refers you, your account will receive a 1,500 point sign up bonus! (Otherwise, you'll only receive 500 points.) And note also the 1,500 points is more than the 1,000 needed for an award! :cool:

If you would like to be referred, I'll be glad to refer you. Just PM me your email addresses. Each AGR account needs a separate email address.

Hello all.

(2) 18.5in x 11in x 29in

(1) 8in x 16.5in x 14in

A Laptop bag

A Camera Case

Thank you

TS
Hi TS,

Having just rode the CS twice over the summer using the family bedroom, maybe I can help a bit with the luggage question. For your luggage, plan on leaving the big bags on the luggage rack, as others have said. With 5 people in the room, you will not want to use up the floor space for your bags. You will be able to see the luggage at all times if you leave your door open because it is just down the hall.

There is a small coat closet in the room but it is only wide enough for a few hanging items. It will not fit a suitcase unless it is a hanging garmet bag. There is also one pull-down coat hook that can be used for hanging a very small bag/purse or coat.

But...there is a lot of storage under the seats in that room. We had 4 people, all with back packs and a toy box (small box to hold my son's trains). All of these fit easily under the long sofa and the taller toy box fit under the chair opposite the sofa. If you want to avoid having to get into your luggage during the trip, there is plenty of room to store multiple small (backpack) sized bags under that sofa.

You can also bring down one of the top bunks during the day for extra storage. We used the child's bunk during the day for my son to take a nap and to store a few items. There is still plenty of headroom under the bunk for sitting and since it is the smaller bed, it takes up less of the headroom in the room for standing.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you for the explanation about the Reward points.

I honestly don't think I'll worry about the reward points. I can guarantee we will not be making any more trips by train for a long while. First off, we are not even paying for this trip really.

My parents and the wifes' parents are paying for it. All we are paying for is food for us while down there. We are staying with a relative so no cost there for us. Didn't I mention we were poor?

Also when I called Amtrak and gave the lady my Member # she said she put the # on all the tickets, so I assumed I'd get the points for those too.

Can I put other peoples Member # on our tickets to give points away to others that would us them? Or does the name have to match from Member Reward and Train ticket?

Thank you for description about the room. Gives us an idea of what we should take.

Thank you again

No, the names have to match the member numbers.

As far as not worrying about it on the points, I think that you really should. I'm assuming that you live in or near Chicago since that's where you're starting your journey? Amtrak runs dozens of trains into and out of the city, so a ride on the train doesn't have to be a multi-hundred dollar excursion for the whole family. If you guys do decide that riding trains is your cup of tea, then using those points to take vacations for free is pretty simple. As far as earning the points, look into the AGR credit card - I funnel all of my essential spending through it (for things like gas, groceries, the electric bill, etc, etc) and earn points on the transactions. It doesn't cost any money to do (as long as you don't spend more money than you have) and you can quickly pile up the points. I'm getting married in April and am taking a trip from Washington DC to Chicago to Portland, OR to Seattle to Los Angeles then back to Chicago and then back home to DC pretty much for free based off the points that I've earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back