1st time travelers. Family of 5

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the explanation about the Reward points.I honestly don't think I'll worry about the reward points. I can guarantee we will not be making any more trips by train for a long while. First off, we are not even paying for this trip really.

My parents and the wifes' parents are paying for it. All we are paying for is food for us while down there. We are staying with a relative so no cost there for us. Didn't I mention we were poor?

Also when I called Amtrak and gave the lady my Member # she said she put the # on all the tickets, so I assumed I'd get the points for those too.

Can I put other peoples Member # on our tickets to give points away to others that would us them? Or does the name have to match from Member Reward and Train ticket?

Thank you for description about the room. Gives us an idea of what we should take.

Thank you again
You cannot transfer points to another person's account. There are many ways to accrue points, not just by train travel. There is an online shopping mall on the amtrak guest rewards site. Check it out. I found all sorts of ways to collect points besides on the train.

Not many here are rolling in dough either. I feel your pain, but think of how fun this will be for all of you! Try to relax & go with the flow. I have found the people on this board are more than happy to answer questions & help clear up confusion. :) Wish I was on the train too, probably won't be going again until October!!! :( Have fun!!!! :D

I agree with Ryan about the credit card. I buy "luxuries" like gas and food (and almost everything else too) using the card, and I earn 1,000 to 2,500 AGR points EVERY MONTH - just for things I would buy anyway! That could add up easily to over 20,000 points - or a free trip - every year!

lol...Thank you much for that guys.

Ok let me be more clear.

I don't live in Chicago and am actually not starting my trip there. I said that just because I figured more people would recognize the location of that more so then Springfield, IL. I don't live near either of those places. They are both 3 hours away. I'm in IA and Chicago is furthest we have traveled (and definately the most interesting). So sorry for saying we were starting in Chicago, my mistake.

We've only been able to afford to go to Chicago twice in 14 years. We don't have any CC's, nor would I be able to get any with my credit, nor do I want any. I'd love to tell you guys how little we make a year just to let you know how poor we are.

We can't even afford a cell phone. I had to spend money on a temporary one for our trip. We don't have cable, 1 vehicle (over 20 yrs old), basic phone, no AC, let's see what else don't we have.

lol. Trust me the points won't get used. But thank you for that though guys. It's Much appreciated.

lol...Thank you much for that guys.Ok let me be more clear.

I don't live in Chicago and am actually not starting my trip there. I said that just because I figured more people would recognize the location of that more so then Springfield, IL. I don't live near either of those places. They are both 3 hours away. I'm in IA and Chicago is furthest we have traveled (and definately the most interesting). So sorry for saying we were starting in Chicago, my mistake.

We've only been able to afford to go to Chicago twice in 14 years. We don't have any CC's, nor would I be able to get any with my credit, nor do I want any. I'd love to tell you guys how little we make a year just to let you know how poor we are.

We can't even afford a cell phone. I had to spend money on a temporary one for our trip. We don't have cable, 1 vehicle (over 20 yrs old), basic phone, no AC, let's see what else don't we have.

lol. Trust me the points won't get used. But thank you for that though guys. It's Much appreciated.
Sounds like yall are more smart than poor! Most folks are drowning in debt, living pay day to payday(if they have a job @ all!)etc. Im retired now and live on about 1/2 of my previous income, luckily I have good health care .(sometimes low paid govt workers make out better than so called wealthy middle class! ;) ) My car is 9 years old, paid for, I live in an affordable apt. (for Austin!)and pay my monthly expenses as I go!Any "extra" money goes towards travel, via trains of course! :D In the case of AGR points, they are good for 3 years long as you take any Amtrak trips during that time, dont expire otherwise, for as little as 1,000 points you can ride on the "Special Routes" like the trains around CHI, a coach ticket earns you aminimum of 100 points (Double if a promotion is on) for as little as $5 so its like money in the bank! Yall enjoy your trip down here to Beautiful Austin, ;) I'm leaving Wed for STL-SPI-KCY-OKC-FTW-AUS on a little 3 day trip for mileage Ive never done and points for future trips! Keep on keeping on, money is not everything ,

as my girl friend says "Happiness is a choice!" and yall sound happy! :) :) :)

BTW: When is your trip on the Eagle, Ill be on it from AUS-SPI on Wed 2/17 and from FTW-AUS on Fri 2/19? Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
That's more reason to sign up for AGR points!

Based on your earlier post that you will get 2,900 points, I figure that's $1,400 spent. And one passenger pays for his/her rail fare AND the accommodation (room) charge. The others only pay their rail fare. So to make it easy, I'm going to assume (and this is a big assumption) $1,000 and $100 for the other 4.

• $1,000 will earn 2,000 AGR point
  • $100 (if they do not have an AGR account) will earn -0- pointss
  • $100 (see above) will earn -0- points
If a ticket is for a person who has no AGR account, those points are lost!

And personally, I would rather spend $-0- on a ticket to Chicago (or anywhere) then $xxx! And those 1,000 point rewards do not have to start or end in Chicago either! You said you live in Iowa. I'm not sure where, but you could travel from (say) Galesburg, IL to Port Huron, MI or IIRC Rockford, IL to St Louis, MO for 1,000 points! ;)

lol...You guys are trying. You get an A for effort.

Seriously though. You guys don't understand our situation, and I'd rather not explain it, but if you want I can tell you

exactly how poor we are and what exactly we make for a family of 5, but again I'd rather not. Just trust me when I say we are poor and not in the sense that most people THINK they are.

We only live smart because we have too. Trust me I'd rather be in debt and be able to

give my kids things they deserve, then be poor like we are now.

We are only taking the train because it's being paid for for us. Actually that's the only reason we are taking the vacation.

We'll be traveling down to Austin from Springfield the 22nd (exactly one week) and coming back the 3rd.

Thank you again for the replies and effort.

lol...You guys are trying. You get an A for effort.Seriously though. You guys don't understand our situation, and I'd rather not explain it, but if you want I can tell you

exactly how poor we are and what exactly we make for a family of 5, but again I'd rather not. Just trust me when I say we are poor and not in the sense that most people THINK they are.

We only live smart because we have too. Trust me I'd rather be in debt and be able to

give my kids things they deserve, then be poor like we are now.

We are only taking the train because it's being paid for for us. Actually that's the only reason we are taking the vacation.

We'll be traveling down to Austin from Springfield the 22nd (exactly one week) and coming back the 3rd.

Thank you again for the replies and effort.
You don't have to explain yourself here. Enjoy the trip, and hey if you wanna make one of the other posters, who have worked so hard, happy, let them recommend you to Amtrak's Guest Rewards. Then once you take your trip, (and used your AGR number) whomever recommend you, will get 500 points.

And if you don't want to bother with that either, don't! Whatever you do, have fun, and just relax on the trip! Make sure to check out the topics here about "First time trips" and such. Some pretty good hints.........

Hey, don't feel too bad. We went many many years without things like cable, cell phones, credit cards, etc. We still only have one older car, no ac or credit card. Been up to our eyeballs in debt, too. We only took one 'family vacation' in all the years the kids were growing up. Regardless, try to enjoy your family trip, I hope it becomes a wonderful family memory. May you & yours be able to enjoy more as time and finances permit. :)

Hey I'm all up for helping people get points. Just let me know who here that has helped wants to refer one of us. There's 5 of us so does that mean 5 people can

refer one of us each? Even if I have already signed up?

So that's one for: jimhudson, the_traveler, sunchaser if they want the points and you rrude for letting me know....That would leave one more if I can be referred even after signing up (which I doubt).

So what do I need to do exactly?

And I don't feel bad, we are those crazy happy poor people. We are more about the times we have then what we have.

I honestly just thought it was funny. I'm sorry it drives some hardcore railers crazy when they see points get wasted. I'm sure I would too if I was able to travel more.

Hey I'm all up for helping people get points. Just let me know who here that has helped wants to refer one of us. There's 5 of us so does that mean 5 people can refer one of us each? Even if I have already signed up?

So that's one for: jimhudson, the_traveler, sunchaser if they want the points and you rrude for letting me know....That would leave one more if I can be referred even after signing up (which I doubt).

And I don't feel bad, we are those crazy happy poor people. We are more about the times we have then what we have.

I honestly just thought it was funny. I'm sorry it drives some hardcore railers crazy when they see points get wasted. I'm sure I would too if I was able to travel more.
Just make it easy on yourself, pick one "out of a hat", and send them a Private Message. They will need your email. Then they will "recommend you" to AGR. AGR will then send you a link "inviting" you to become a member. (the person you recommended should automatically get the points) Register with AGR. Once you get your AGR number, then just call Amtrak, and have them ADD your new AGR member number to your existing reservation.

Sounds complicated, but it's really not, maybe 10 minutes.

Good luck, and just chill and relax.

This whole post has some really good information. I do have a couple of nits to pick:

Rolling through East Texas will be Piney woods, swamps and oil towns, not a lot to see except for the trees, youll stop in Longview (rest stop) where pax catch the bus for Houston and La, then Marshall is the next stop but you cant get off there but they change crews and theres a restored depot that looks pretty Victorian.
Marshall is the first stop beyond Texarkana, they you get to Longview.

Dallas will be a rest stop, sometimes long, it's right downtown, yourea block from Dealy Plaza and the Book Depositiry museum, youll cross the rail trestle where you can look to the right where JFK was killed,
I would not call this a trestle. This is the "triple underpass" from the street perspective. It iis immediately past the station. If looking out the right side going southbound, the left hand street was the one Kennedy's motorcade was on. He was heading toward the underpass. The rather non-descript 4 or 5 story brick building that is about a block away from you and on the left side of the street is where Oswald was when he fired the shot.

A few other thoughts: All track on which the train runs is Union Pacific except Chicago to Joliet which is Candian National and Ft. Worth to Temple which is BNSF. Maximum speed limits, with numerous restrictions to lesser limits are 79 mph between Chicago and St. Louis, 60 mph between St. Louis and Poplar Bluff MO, 75 mph between Poplar Bluff and Ft. Worth, 79 mph between Ft. Worth and Temple, and 70 mph between Temple and Austin. Almost all is single track, except about 70 miles in Arkansas and Dallas to Ft. Worth.

Historical ownership of the railroad lines from last before current then backing up:

Chicago to St. Louis: Chicago Missouri and Western, Illinois Central, Gulf Mobile and Ohio, Chicago and Alton. line commonly referred to as the Alton Route.

St. Louis to Texarkana: Missouri Pacific, St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern, before MoPac, commonly called the Iron Mountain. Between Chicago and Poplar Bluff, the line is very hilly and crooked and carries little freight which uses another route.

Texarkana to Ft. Worth: Missouri Pacific, Texas and Pacific. The T&P had aspirations of being the second if not the first Transcontinental, but lost out to Southern Pacific west of El Paso.

Ft. Worth to Temple: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe. usually simply called the Santa Fe. Thanks to a peculiarity of Texas law, the line was legally the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe for many years.

Temple to Taylor: Missouri Pacific, Missouri-Kansas-Texas, commonly called The Katy.

Taylor to Austin (and on to San Antonio): Missouri Pacific, International Great Northern. (international in this name refers to Mexico.)

There's 5 of us so does that mean 5 people can refer one of us each? Even if I have already signed up?So that's one for: jimhudson, the_traveler, sunchaser if they want the points and you rrude for letting me know....That would leave one more if I can be referred even after signing up (which I doubt).

Because you had already signed up, that leaves you out of the referral promotion. :( But the other 4 can be referred! :)

As said, you could send one e-mail address to each person, or send all 4 to just 1 person - your choice. Each account has to have their own email address. You can sign up for free accounts at sites like hotmail, yahoo or gmail.

No need to apologize. I'm sure we've all been there too.

I hope you enjoy your trip! :cool:

Chicago to St. Louis: Chicago Missouri and Western, Illinois Central, Gulf Mobile and Ohio, Chicago and Alton. line commonly referred to as the Alton Route.
I believe that between the C&A and the UP there were the
Alton Railroad (probably just a reorganized C&A)

GM&O

Illinois Central Gulf

CM&W (after the ICG sold off or abandoned almost all of its "G" part)

Southern Pacific (after the CM&W went bankrupt).

Also, the GM&O was originally nicknamed the "Rebel Route", but became the more politically correct "Alton Route" after the merger with the Alton.

A few additional notes about travelling in a Superliner family room:

1. The family room does have windows on both sides of the car, but they are smaller than the windows in roomettes and bedrooms. Also, the family room is on the lower level and doesn't enjoy the height-of-eye advantages of an upper level room. For this reason, I'd recommend anyone wanting to spend some time "taking in the scenery" head to the lounge car.

2. The family room can accomodate five, but there isn't a whole lotta room to maneuver with that many people inside. The facing seats are very close with little leg room between them... fine if you have a toddler in the one seat, but perhaps not if you have two teen/tween siblings jostling for leg room ("Mom! He's touching my leg again!"). Note also that the "rear" or "opposite" facing seat does not recline... so it's better suited for posture practice than full relaxation. If you've got that total family harmony thing going, you should have no problems with all five hanging out in the room... otherwise, see my recommendation in Note 1 above.

3. If you've looked at the online "Superliner 3D Tour" of the family room, there is one misprint. It says the electrical outlet (the ONLY one in the room, so bring a power strip if you have multiple devices that need charging) is "conveniently located" by the closet. It SHOULD say that the outlet is INCONVENIENTLY located there. Basically if you have a laptop or other electronic gizmo that needs to be plugged in, the cord has to be long enough to be routed "up and over" against the overhead or "down and under" along the floor (you DID bring your duct tape, didn't you?) if you don't want it hanging across the walking space in the room at chest height.

4. While I concur with other posters that it is safe to leave items in your room unattended so long as valuables are stowed or covered up, please note that the family room tends to get more people entering accidentally since it is at the end of a car. Some people just plow on in under the mistaken belief that they are heading to the next car, which is not possible on the lower level of Superliners. For that reason, I'd advise a little extra caution in ensuring any valuables are out of sight when leaving the room unattended. You can always try posting a note (again, you DID bring duct tape, right?) on the door reading "Private Room, Do Not Enter" or somesuch... if it is handwritten in magic marker it would look as official as 90% of the stuff posted by Amtrak employees.

5. I believe all five of you should get meals included. Just put your car number and room number (The family bedroom is room #15) on the meal ticket. Five in a dining car booth will be tight (to be honest, four in a dining car booth is fairly tight). I've seen one family do it, but their kids were all about 8 or younger. Alternatively, you could try to put three in one booth and two in another if the dining car staff allows it. That way you get an opportunity to meet some of your fellow travellers over a meal, which is nice for those of us who aren't the social butterfly types that can (and will) strike up a conversation with anyone in the lounge car, station platform, ticket line, men's room, etc.

6. The lower adult berth is the same width as a normal twin mattress. If Mom & Dad are okay sleeping together in that amount of space, fine. If not, I'd recommend putting the youngest child and one parent in that berth, with the other parent sleeping in the upper adult berth.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your trip!

Thank you again for replies.

Well you guys have talked me into signing up my family for AGR, but not for us, more for you (to help you out, for helping us out). Persistent devils you are, lol.

Thank you for a in depth explanation of Family Room ceblack.

Our oldest boy is going to have to take the top berth. He's taller than me by a good few inches.

I'm a very light sleeper even at home in our kingsize bed, so I don't figure I'd be sleeping much anyways.

But I should be alright with the adrenalin boost I'll have from just simply traveling and being on a train.

Should we really take Duct tape? We saw that posted a thread of what to take, but we just didn't think Amtrak wanted sticky residue from Duct tape all over their room.

We do plan on taking an extension cord and/or a small power strip.

About dining, I was looking in the Texas Eagle Route Guide and it talks about Sleeping car attendant and states

"Contact your sleeping car attendant if you desire drinks before dinner. They will also take your dinner reservations or arrange for your meal to be served in the privacy of you accommodation."

So that means we should be able to eat in our room, right?

Also since we will be getting on at Springfield instead of Chicago, we'll be getting on at 5:15pm, is that too late for reservations for dinner? Or will they ask right when we board?

Would using a bike lock to lock our 2 big suitcases together be overkill?

Putting a sign on the door sounds like a good idea, I'll do that right after we get on.

We plan on taking some twine and Windex also, lol. I'll run outside at a stop if I have to and clean the windows (then I'll walk up to CA and ask for a tip).

How are the blankets in the rooms? Will they keeps us warm, more importantly the kids warm?

Only about 5 days left. We are all counting down every day, lol. Plus we didn't even know this was happening until a couple weeks ago. So it's been flying by for us.

I'm a BIG researcher, planner, organizer when it comes to anything really, so I've been very busy in my free time lately.

Thank you again all.

TS

Should we really take Duct tape? We saw that posted a thread of what to take, but we just didn't think Amtrak wanted sticky residue from Duct tape all over their room.
Aloha

Only the very poor quality tapes leave residue, and then it need to be very old. If the cloth backing is dull in color and/or you remove it before it too long, not likely to be to long, by the end of one trip. Do not worry about it, Just enjoy the total visit ant trip.

Thank you again for replies.
Well you guys have talked me into signing up my family for AGR, but not for us, more for you (to help you out, for helping us out). Persistent devils you are, lol.

Thank you for a in depth explanation of Family Room ceblack.

Our oldest boy is going to have to take the top berth. He's taller than me by a good few inches.

I'm a very light sleeper even at home in our kingsize bed, so I don't figure I'd be sleeping much anyways.

But I should be alright with the adrenalin boost I'll have from just simply traveling and being on a train.

We do plan on taking an extension cord and/or a small power strip.

About dining, I was looking in the Texas Eagle Route Guide and it talks about Sleeping car attendant and states

"Contact your sleeping car attendant if you desire drinks before dinner. They will also take your dinner reservations or arrange for your meal to be served in the privacy of you accommodation."

So that means we should be able to eat in our room, right?

Also since we will be getting on at Springfield instead of Chicago, we'll be getting on at 5:15pm, is that too late for reservations for dinner? Or will they ask right when we board?

Would using a bike lock to lock our 2 big suitcases together be overkill?

Putting a sign on the door sounds like a good idea, I'll do that right after we get on.

We plan on taking some twine and Windex also, lol. I'll run outside at a stop if I have to and clean the windows (then I'll walk up to CA and ask for a tip).

How are the blankets in the rooms? Will they keeps us warm, more importantly the kids warm?

Only about 5 days left. We are all counting down every day, lol. Plus we didn't even know this was happening until a couple weeks ago. So it's been flying by for us.

I'm a BIG researcher, planner, organizer when it comes to anything really, so I've been very busy in my free time lately.

Thank you again all.

TS
You can always take along a otc sleep aid if you think you will need it.

Yes, take some duct tape, you may find a use for it.

Yes to the extension cord/power strip.

A good Sleeping Car Attendant will have a reservation for dinner for you when you board.

You can also have your meals delivered to the room, if you prefer. Make sure you tip the Sleeping Car Attendant extra for that.

Bike locks, I think are overkill, unless you don't have the little locks. I bought 6 for about $12 at WalliWorld, all keyed identical.

The blankets are a bit thin. You can ask for extras, or pack some of those 'throws'. I have found the bedroom temps seem to be more even than roomettes.

There is a vent in the ceiling you can cover (remember-duct tape!) which will improve the temp. There are heat/cool controls, but some say they don't work. If it's too cool, cover that vent. Heat comes up from the floor around the window area.

I think you're hooked already! Have fun!

You can eat if you chose in your room. But remember, there is only 1 table in the room that only seats 2. (And even that is very tight!)

If you can, I would try to eat at least once in the dining car! Part of the fun of taking a train is eating in the dining car and meeting your fellow travelers! (You don't do that on a plane.)

The family bedroom actually has two of the little fold-out tables (one on each side of the room), but there is really only room for one person to eat at each table. The rear-facing seat is so close to the table (when the table "wings" are folded out) that I think even your six-year old would be pinned between the table and the back of the seat. If you don't fold out the table wing on that side, putting two plates/glasses/etc on the table goes from being crowded to a virtual guarantee that something gets spilled. I know I said five in a dining car booth would be a squeeze, but I think that would be preferrable to five people trying to eat in the family room. As others have stated, watching the countryside roll by through a dining car window as you are having a leisurely meal is one of the great pleasures of riding a train.

Please, please, please, take your family to the dining car. It truly is one of the pleasures while riding a train. Your family will be seated either 5 scrunched into a booth for four, or (and I do this with my family of 5) 3 in one booth, and 2 of us in the booth opposite the aisle. Your kids will LOVE to get up and walk around the train. (just don't let them "wander" in the diner, as it's hard enuff for the staff to keep their balance, while serving food, haha)

But wander they can elsewhere, especially the lounge car, both upstairs and down. (just remember, closed-toe shoes are virtually required, there is a very slight "danger" of a pinched toe crossing BETWEEN the cars, just be mindful)

The kids will always have the room to come back to, and as long as you know where they are during stops, they should be fine. Just exercise the same caution you would if you took your kids to the mall.........

I could meet you at the station in Springfield! I'm just 15 minutes south, so wave to me when you go by :lol:

Just one last thought... Have your kids each write a trip report. Even if the 6 year old only writes "We got on a train. We had fun.", we would love to see the trip through their eyes.

Have a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back