1st Trip questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolina2001

Train Attendant
I tried to find these answers in the current threads but either could not find or answers were over 5 years old so things may have changed

if boarding in middle of night at a station that is unmanned how do you know where to stand to get on train?

Do all doors open to both get off the train and to get on?

I have a roomette. I know meals are provided. Are soft drinks provided at non meal time?

I will probably have more questions closer to my trip in July. Thanks for any info.

which train, which station ?
(no dates/car# knowing it's a sleeper is good enough.) that might help as there are usually people familiar with where the sleepers are are what different stations look like

Hi Carolina. The trains are fairly short. If you're at an unmanned station, there should be some sort of guide. If there isn't any signage, just hang out closest to the building, shelter, parking lot or whatever seems logical to you. Be visible. The train will do it's best to stop with the door that will open closest to where the passenger(s) are congregated. There are a few stations where the train will actually stop twice to let on sleeper passengers and coach passengers separately.

Not all doors will open outside of the NEC. You will most likely not have to walk much more than 150' to any door that opens for you. The doors are opened manually by the train crew who will scan your ticket and welcome you aboard.

Note: This is for stations outside of the NEC with low platforms. I think all high-platform stations in the NEC are technically staffed, but not necessarily with a crew member on the platform.

Soft drinks are not provided outside of mealtime in the roomette. I don't know the status of juice and coffee any more.

Your station and train information would be helpful to provide more specific advise. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
I tried to find these answers in the current threads but either could not find or answers were over 5 years old so things may have changed

if boarding in middle of night at a station that is unmanned how do you know where to stand to get on train?

Do all doors open to both get off the train and to get on?

I have a roomette. I know meals are provided. Are soft drinks provided at non meal time?

I will probably have more questions closer to my trip in July. Thanks for any info.
Boarding - You don't. Amtrak will not tell you, neither with signs at the station nor by text message or any other means. Best be is to stand in the middle of the station and be prepared to run one way or the other as soon as you figure out approximately where your car is. And, yes, of course that shows how little they care about their customers.

Doors - No. Only a few will. The only way you know will be when the car attendant gets off and puts out the step stool. Another example of customer-no-care. You might have to load your own bags while the SCA or conductor watches you struggle unless you are lucky.

Meals - Wonderful garbage food. Might consider bringing some real food on board (read the Amtrak Dining forum). Yes, if someone is in the diner, they are supposed to give you soft drinks upon request.

Don't be afraid to ask more questions. We all went through our first trip. Some back in the old days when service was better.

Columbia shows as manned on the website. Double check your info. It also lists Checked baggage, which means someone is there who can likely tell you which end the sleepers will be at. First meal is breakfast, then lunch. Most people are not satisfied with the breakfast selections, mediocre would be a more fair description. Some people find them ok, others wish it was the way it used to be, it isn't, and nothing will likely change it back. There is certainly room for improved variety and upgraded presentation. The menus are on the website, things may change by the time you travel.

Link to Station Info:
Columbia, SC (CLB) | Amtrak

The Silver Star is two cars shorter than it's sister train, the Silver Meteor, so you won't walk far to your car. There is a full station with waiting room and staffed, so you'll be quite comfortable.

One hour plus the time it takes to get to the station before departure, check the status on Amtrak.com to see if the train is on time or delayed. This could save you from waiting in the lobby if the train is more than a few minutes late.

No need to arrive more than 45 minutes before departure time if you are checking bags, or no more than 10 minutes if you're not.

Boarding - You don't. Amtrak will not tell you, neither with signs at the station nor by text message or any other means. Best be is to stand in the middle of the station and be prepared to run one way or the other as soon as you figure out approximately where your car is. And, yes, of course that shows how little they care about their customers.

Doors - No. Only a few will. The only way you know will be when the car attendant gets off and puts out the step stool. Another example of customer-no-care. You might have to load your own bags while the SCA or conductor watches you struggle unless you are lucky.

Meals - Wonderful garbage food. Might consider bringing some real food on board (read the Amtrak Dining forum). Yes, if someone is in the diner, they are supposed to give you soft drinks upon request.

Don't be afraid to ask more questions. We all went through our first trip. Some back in the old days when service was better.
Was this necessary! For god sake’s it’s her first trip and you make it sound like a trip to hell

Sorry for lack of info. Will be on Silver Star 91 departing Columbia SC departure is scheduled for 1:30 am
Welcome to AU. I have departed on 91 from Columbia and there were plenty of passengers waiting to board. There were also station agents directing passengers to the boarding locations. The sleepers on the Silver Star are at the rear of the train. Sleeper 9110 is right behind the Dining Car, which is right behind the cafe car, which is behind the coaches. Sleeper 9111 is after 9110 and 9112 is after 9111.

I recently traveled on the Silver Meteor and I can share my experience. The Dining Car/Sleeper lounge was open most of the time. I am not sure about overnight. The LSA (attendant) is not always there. If he or she is there, you can get a free soft drink, coffee, hot tea or unsweetened ice tea.

With regard to the meals, I tried the omelette during my last trip and I found it not too bad. Others may have opinions about the flex meals, but I have not tried them since I have a food allergy to an ingredient in all the lunches and dinners. I enjoy the cheese and cracker tray sold in the cafe car (usually with wine :) ).

In my years of traveling on the Silver Meteor and Silver Star, I find that the crews on both trains are generally very good. I hope you enjoy your trip and if you are heading to Florida, I hope you enjoy your stay. (as you can guess, it is pretty hot and expected to get to the mid 90s this week in Orlando).

Welcome to AU. I have departed on 91 from Columbia and there were plenty of passengers waiting to board. There were also station agents directing passengers to the boarding locations. The sleepers on the Silver Star are at the rear of the train. Sleeper 9110 is right behind the Dining Car, which is right behind the cafe car, which is behind the coaches. Sleeper 9111 is after 9110 and 9112 is after 9111.

I recently traveled on the Silver Meteor and I can share my experience. The Dining Car/Sleeper lounge was open most of the time. I am not sure about overnight. The LSA (attendant) is not always there. If he or she is there, you can get a free soft drink, coffee, hot tea or unsweetened ice tea.

With regard to the meals, I tried the omelette during my last trip and I found it not too bad. Others may have opinions about the flex meals, but I have not tried them since I have a food allergy to an ingredient in all the lunches and dinners. I enjoy the cheese and cracker tray sold in the cafe car (usually with wine :) ).

In my years of traveling on the Silver Meteor and Silver Star, I find that the crews on both trains are generally very good. I hope you enjoy your trip and if you are heading to Florida, I hope you enjoy your stay. (as you can guess, it is pretty hot and expected to get to the mid 90s this week in Orlando).
Thank you for the info.

Back