2 Parlour Cars Out of Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. Any SCA who claims that a CCC is "better" than a 1950's era PPC is not the smartest of the bunch. It's like saying a Greyhound bus is better for going cross country than your private car because it carries more people!
wacko.gif
Same with how old United DC-8s were much more comfortable than today's United A320s. Those planes had just as much pitch as Amtrak's Amfleet Is, even in Coach! Though the seats were narrower.

I really wish they'd substitute an SSL when the PPCs aren't available. All I care about are comfy seats facing a big window, and I have a feeling that many passengers feel the same way.
While I understand your logic & reasoning, and don't disagree with it, the reason that CCC's is kept on standby for the PPC's is that the CCC can still provide meal service. The Sightseer Lounge cannot do that.

And Amtrak needs that to ease the load on the dining car; not to mention that the revenue credited to the PPC program from those meals being served is what helps to keep those cars in service. Take away that revenue and the PPC's are finished. Amtrak won't run them at all without that extra revenue helping to justify the huge costs to run those cars.

I wish they'd add an extra SSL as a "First Class Lounge" to each of the major scenic western trains, that would be amazing.
Sadly, Amtrak simply doesn't have enough cars to do that.

However, if ridership continues to grow and assuming that Amtrak can find funding for new Superliner cars, it is something that Amtrak should consider. Especially since they could do much like they do on the Auto Train, and leave one half of the car tables. Those tables could then be utilized as overflow seating for the dining car, allowing Amtrak to feed more people and add an extra sleeper or two to each train's consist and therefore carry more passengers.
I agree. We had a SSL substituting for the PPC on our trip on #14 a couple of months ago. While we were disappointed, we were happy to have the SSL instead of a CCC. The crew still referred to it as "Parlour Car" and while meals were available, they were brought in from the regular diner. It is still quite nice to have a SSL serving as a de facto first class lounge, in our experience. Maybe the next Super order would include some type of upgraded lounge car for this type use.

I disagree. Any SCA who claims that a CCC is "better" than a 1950's era PPC is not the smartest of the bunch. It's like saying a Greyhound bus is better for going cross country than your private car because it carries more people!
wacko.gif
Same with how old United DC-8s were much more comfortable than today's United A320s. Those planes had just as much pitch as Amtrak's Amfleet Is, even in Coach! Though the seats were narrower.
That's a fond memory. I loved travelling on DC-8s, and watching them, particularly the "stretched" version. They weren't much fun to work in down below, though, with that l-o-n-g fuselage making loading a challenge.

Just curious... Does anyone have any pictures (either inside or out) of these PPC cars? I've never seen one. I have seen SSLs (Superliner SSLs), and the lounges in the old Heritage cars. I'm curious as to what makes these PPCs different, and why it's such a "bummer" when they're substituted (or missing)... :huh:

Just curious... Does anyone have any pictures (either inside or out) of these PPC cars? I've never seen one. I have seen SSLs (Superliner SSLs), and the lounges in the old Heritage cars. I'm curious as to what makes these PPCs different, and why it's such a "bummer" when they're substituted (or missing)... :huh:
http://www.pacificparlourcar.com/

Lots More photos. Google is our friend :)

I've done 3 runs on the Starlight and have been able to enjoy a PPC all 3 time. I'm set for another turn in about a month and based on the current situation, it looks like a 25% chance of coming up with the short straw each way. But if I do and get a CCC instead, I'll still make use of it realizing that while the PPC is a very nice car, what helps make it nice are good fellow passengers and a good Attendant.

I'm guessing Amtrak has moved a couple extra CCCs out of Chicago and to LAX/SEA to make sure plenty are on hand.

Here are two pictures I took on my last trip:

CS+014.jpg

PPC%2520CS1.jpg

iphone%2520CS%2520019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are two pictures I took on my last trip:

CS+014.jpg

PPC%2520CS1.jpg

iphone%2520CS%2520019.jpg
Wow that purple chair really looks like something to get all worked over for! :wacko:

I've done 3 runs on the Starlight and have been able to enjoy a PPC all 3 time. I'm set for another turn in about a month and based on the current situation, it looks like a 25% chance of coming up with the short straw each way. But if I do and get a CCC instead, I'll still make use of it realizing that while the PPC is a very nice car, what helps make it nice are good fellow passengers and a good Attendant.

I'm guessing Amtrak has moved a couple extra CCCs out of Chicago and to LAX/SEA to make sure plenty are on hand.
I'll be on the CS next month too, and I couldn't agree more with you. While I would like to actually see a PPC, it won't make or break my trip.

http://www.pacificparlourcar.com/

Lots More photos. Google is our friend :)
Yes, as long as we know what we're searching for... :D Thanks for pointing it out!

So... it would seem the best features (for me at least) would be the swivel seats and the extra windows. The other things can be replicated with SSLs and diner cars. The theater is nice, but could be covered by a SSL (they show movies in the SSL on the AT). Besides, I'd probably be watching DVDs in my room with headphones.

I recall that NJ Transit had a Comet I car that had these swivel type seats in one half of it. They made the mistake of putting it on my train one evening. I got to it behind several people and exclaimed, "Get a load of these!" Within 2 seconds, it was like a game of "Musical chairs!" I found the first one I could get to (it was a full, single, "Amtrak like" reclining coach seat that did swivel), and plopped down, and literally didn't move out of it until my stop 1hr 15min later. Especially since there were 15 other people staring me down like vultures (it was a full train of 11 std. Comet I/II cars) waiting to pounce on it if I even flinched. :ph34r: I didn't. People were so shocked to see it, I guess.

Interesting that the PPCs are almost the same height as the Superliners themselves.

Anyway, thanks. At least I know what you're talking about...

Interesting that the PPCs are almost the same height as the Superliners themselves.
There is a reason for that. The Santa Fe Hi-Levels, of which the lounge cars which they made into the PPCs are the last remaining on the Amtrak roster, were the inspiration for the Superliners. The Superliners were designed so they could interoperate with Hi-Levels and through the 80s and early 90s there were many Hi-Level coaches in service on Superliner trains. Before the Superliner II order when Amtrak bought the trans-dorms, the only transition cars there were were Hi-Levels. The Hi-Level diners were rebuilt into diner-lounges that ran on the Desert Wind.

I really wish they'd substitute an SSL when the PPCs aren't available. All I care about are comfy seats facing a big window, and I have a feeling that many passengers feel the same way.
While I understand your logic & reasoning, and don't disagree with it, the reason that CCC's is kept on standby for the PPC's is that the CCC can still provide meal service. The Sightseer Lounge cannot do that.

And Amtrak needs that to ease the load on the dining car; not to mention that the revenue credited to the PPC program from those meals being served is what helps to keep those cars in service. Take away that revenue and the PPC's are finished. Amtrak won't run them at all without that extra revenue helping to justify the huge costs to run those cars.

I wish they'd add an extra SSL as a "First Class Lounge" to each of the major scenic western trains, that would be amazing.
Sadly, Amtrak simply doesn't have enough cars to do that.

However, if ridership continues to grow and assuming that Amtrak can find funding for new Superliner cars, it is something that Amtrak should consider. Especially since they could do much like they do on the Auto Train, and leave one half of the car tables. Those tables could then be utilized as overflow seating for the dining car, allowing Amtrak to feed more people and add an extra sleeper or two to each train's consist and therefore carry more passengers.
I agree. We had a SSL substituting for the PPC on our trip on #14 a couple of months ago. While we were disappointed, we were happy to have the SSL instead of a CCC. The crew still referred to it as "Parlour Car" and while meals were available, they were brought in from the regular diner. It is still quite nice to have a SSL serving as a de facto first class lounge, in our experience. Maybe the next Super order would include some type of upgraded lounge car for this type use.
The latest fleet strategy includes 12 parlor cars, which suggests replacement for the Coast Starlight plus one more train. Smart money was on the Empire Builder.

Also, whomever was knocking the purple chairs, they swivel and they're actually quite comfortable.

The other things can be replicated with SSLs and diner cars. The theater is nice, but could be covered by a SSL (they show movies in the SSL on the AT).
The Auto Train is the only train that still shows movies in the lounge car. And most of the lounge cars on the Auto Train are NOT Sightseer Lounges. There are 1, maybe 2, Sightseer Lounges that were assigned to the Auto Train pool about 7 or 8 years ago, which were specially modified for use on the AT including the smoker's room downstairs. But those SSL's are the backup cars to the normal AT lounge cars, which are converted dining cars.

In all my trips on the AT, I think that I've hit a SSL in the consist maybe twice. Most times, one gets the regular AT lounge cars.

In all other SSL's the VCR is long gone and the TV's have either been removed or boarded over.

wacko.gif
That's a fond memory. I loved travelling on DC-8s, and watching them, particularly the "stretched" version. They weren't much fun to work in down below, though, with that l-o-n-g fuselage making loading a challenge.
You mean the Super 60s? One of my favourite planes!

wacko.gif
You mean the Super 60s? One of my favourite planes!
Swadian, are you like British or something? That's fine and cool and all, but your spelling of favorite makes me wonder?

Im sure Guest Relations and AGR will get a call from you, hope the Bad Ordered Cars are serviced quickly and everyone riding gets a chance to experience these Jewels! :wub:
My understanding is that the PPC is not guaranteed to run and therefore Customer Service has been instructed not to hand out vouchers anymore to those who call in disappointment that they didn't get the PPC.

It's an amenity designed to enhance your experience on the trip. But if it's not there, Amtrak still did what you paid them to do, get you from point A to point B.
That is not a really new policy. As long ago as about 2004, we made a trip on 11 from Seattle to LA without a PPC, just a Dining Car. We were also about 5 hours late. Customer Service only gave us some compensation for the lateness and nothing for the lack of a PPC. They said very explicitly that the PPC was not guaranteed and could not be compensated.

I really wish they'd substitute an SSL when the PPCs aren't available. All I care about are comfy seats facing a big window, and I have a feeling that many passengers feel the same way. I wish they'd add an extra SSL as a "First Class Lounge" to each of the major scenic western trains, that would be amazing.
They did that on two trips I made in 2011 (I think it was 2011, might have been 2010); two PPCs were bad-ordered at the time and the luck of the draw meant that I was on the train without the PPC both ways. But they substituted Sightseer Lounges both times.

Is Amtrak running short on SSLs *too*, or is Amtrak using the CCC instead of the SSL deliberately? If Amtrak is also starting to have problems finding enough SSLs, then the equipment shortage is getting severe.

I really wish they'd substitute an SSL when the PPCs aren't available. All I care about are comfy seats facing a big window, and I have a feeling that many passengers feel the same way. I wish they'd add an extra SSL as a "First Class Lounge" to each of the major scenic western trains, that would be amazing.
They did that on two trips I made in 2011 (I think it was 2011, might have been 2010); two PPCs were bad-ordered at the time and the luck of the draw meant that I was on the train without the PPC both ways. But they substituted Sightseer Lounges both times.

Is Amtrak running short on SSLs *too*, or is Amtrak using the CCC instead of the SSL deliberately? If Amtrak is also starting to have problems finding enough SSLs, then the equipment shortage is getting severe.
Amtrak is short on Sightseer Lounges but very long on CCC; every time I come and go from Chicago there is always a long string of CCCs in the yard outside Union Station.

The other things can be replicated with SSLs and diner cars. The theater is nice, but could be covered by a SSL (they show movies in the SSL on the AT).
The Auto Train is the only train that still shows movies in the lounge car. And most of the lounge cars on the Auto Train are NOT Sightseer Lounges. There are 1, maybe 2, Sightseer Lounges that were assigned to the Auto Train pool about 7 or 8 years ago, which were specially modified for use on the AT including the smoker's room downstairs. But those SSL's are the backup cars to the normal AT lounge cars, which are converted dining cars.

In all my trips on the AT, I think that I've hit a SSL in the consist maybe twice. Most times, one gets the regular AT lounge cars.

In all other SSL's the VCR is long gone and the TV's have either been removed or boarded over.
Or in the unlocked closet in the downstairs bathroom.

The SSL is nothing like a PPC in my view, but at least it was intended to serve a somewhat similar purpose. If you replaced the cheap looking McDonald's style plastic furniture interior and classed it up a bit the SSL probably wouldn't be half bad. The CCC, well, let's just say that the CCC is already a letdown when it replaces a dining car. When it replaces a PPC it's boarding on an overt insult. The layout is all wrong. It's bad for the crew and bad for the passengers. The staff is trying to avoid bumping into each other at the built-in bottleneck while the passengers are having to crane their necks around so they can see what they came for. Who in their right mind would build a passenger rail car that needlessly pinches the traffic flow and includes furniture that focuses your gaze toward the interior of the car? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back