2 Roomettes or Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinPhil

Train Attendant
My party consists of one adult, one teen, and one child. We are only taking a day trip from Grand Junction to Denver. Should we go with the Two Roomettes or One Bedroom? They're pretty much the same price. Thanks!

The thing I don't like is that the door between the rooms can open without being touched. The roomette is more private. I just don't know if the bathroom though makes up for it.

I would suggest a Bedroom. There's plenty of room for 3 people, particularly if it's just a day trip. The couch is large enough that if someone us sitting in the chair, there would be room for one of the kids to stretch out for awhile, if they wanted to do so.

The thing I don't like is that the door between the rooms can open without being touched. The roomette is more private. I just don't know if the bathroom though makes up for it.
I have not had trouble with the adjoining door opening in a Bedroom, although I bring shims or use a washcloth to stuff in the gap and stop rattles.

I have not had trouble with the adjoining door opening in a Bedroom, although I bring shims or use a washcloth to stuff in the gap and stop rattles.
Rubber door-stop...holds it open too. Funny thing one nite doing the A/T trip alone, the door opened while asleep and I thought I was seeing myself in the mirror!!!! No, it was the guy next door! LOL LOL I always check the connecting door as it is sometimes not locked. I bring my own "key" anyway. The wall does have a stop on top to keep it open, but usually difficult to set & release. But on to the original ??? - Book 2 opposite roomettes...gives privacy to the adult and to the 2 kids! Besides...a view from both sides!
Bedrooms - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• cocktail2.JPG
    cocktail2.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
If the travel date is such that both Roomettes and Bedrooms are at low bucket, two Roomettes would only be $32 more than one Bedroom. However, if Bedrooms are at the next highest bucket one of those would be $80 more than two Roomettes.

Maybe I don't know how to work it, but I can't get Arrow to allow 1 Bedroom with 1 Adult, 1 Youth and 1 Child. Arrow forces 2 Bedrooms when I try.

Q: How do you book just 1 Bedroom for these pax?

Maybe I don't know how to work it, but I can't get Arrow to allow 1 Bedroom with 1 Adult, 1 Youth and 1 Child. Arrow forces 2 Bedrooms when I try.

Q: How do you book just 1 Bedroom for these pax?
You will need to call and speak to an agent.

being locked into a roomette over night with four daughters

I was answering the comment that I am not a parent - I never said I would travel in a sleeper with all 4 daughters at one time. The OP said 1 teen, 1 child and 1 adult ... would it be wise to put a 13 year old and a 5 year old across the hall and the adult be on the opposite side of the train with the doors closed? Of course, it might be a different thing if it was a 17 year old and a 12 year old.

The OP did not give an age for the kids so we don't know the age of the teen or the child.

Back