2003 Travel Planner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warbonnet

Service Attendant
Does anyone know if Amtrak published the 2003 Travel Planner? This is a printed catalog of routes, services, and general information. They used to have a link on their website to request a copy. I don't see the link anymore. It may have been discontinued as part of the budget tightening process, or did I just miss it?

Wb

Word has it that a 2003 planner will not be published. Passengers will just have to refer to the timetables and information on the internet. What I could see is a pamphlet expalaining the various types of equipment and accomadations with photos.

I can't say if Amtrak has printed the new 2003 or even plans to. I haven't heard anything about it at all. :(

I can however tell you from my recent trip, that the stations that I hit had dozens of copies of the 2002 planner still stacked out on the racks.

Maybe between Amfleet and I have combined to give you the answer WB.

Perhaps Amtrak's game plan is as Amfleet says not to run off a 2003, and simply use up all the copies they have of the 2002 which I saw out on the racks. They could do this instead of a pamphlet as Amfleet had suggested. Then just tell people, "that nothing has really changed from 2002 to 2003."

I was told by several people in Amtrak management (plus most of the station agents) that there will not be a 2003 travel planner. I was told that they were way too expensive to print ($1.02 each raw cost for Amtrak). Don't be fooled by mile high stacks of them at your stations. We had 20 full boxes of them at Martinez (50/box = 1000 total) about 1.5 months ago and are now completely out of them. We are unable to order more. They go fast and are very popular with the passengers, but are too expensive to print. I doubt that we will see a 2003 version, but I still remain optimistic.

:rolleyes:

Accomodations pamphlets are already seen in some parts of the country. I have seen pamphlets for Viewliner sleepers, as well as First Class North East service. That may be all we get.

battalion51 said:
Accomodations pamphlets are already seen in some parts of the country. I have seen pamphlets for Viewliner sleepers, as well as First Class North East service. That may be all we get.
I hope not :(

Viewliner said:
First, it usually takes a few weeks into the new year before they release them. I hope they do publish one.
I believe in the past they have come out much much earlier than the first of the year, sometimes a couple of months before the end of the previous year.

Superliner Diner said:
Viewliner said:
First, it usually takes a few weeks into the new year before they release them.  I hope they do publish one.
I believe in the past they have come out much much earlier than the first of the year, sometimes a couple of months before the end of the previous year.
I was thinking the same thing, but I don;t remember exactly when I received my 2002 one in themail but I'm sure it was before the Christmas break.

battalion51 said:
Sounds a lot like what VIA Rail offers. No inclusive travel planner, but rather little brochures/pamphlets about their routes and accommodations.

What they ought to do is offer a full version travel planner on the website. That way they dont' have to print up all those copies....and people can look online, and print what of it they want. Plus, it would be a good addition to the website, as I don't think they have enough info about accomadations and such online as it is.

tubaallen said:
What they ought to do is offer a full version travel planner on the website. That way they dont' have to print up all those copies....and people can look online, and print what of it they want. Plus, it would be a good addition to the website, as I don't think they have enough info about accomadations and such online as it is.
That could work, as they could update route changes, and accom. changes. Or they could even sell them for a $1.50. The bottom line is they should exist in some way, shape, or form.

I would not begin selling Travel Planners to customers. That's bad business. I would offer a more extensive travel info page on the Amtrak website, like VIA. Right now there are no photos of accomadtaions and skinpy descriptions. Then with that I would just add an accomodation pamphlet to go along with the timetables at the stations. Sometimes in a business you have to sacrafice something for something else.

Rule number 1 in business, is "You've got to spend money, to make money."

Pun intended, but If you don't toot the horn to let people know that you are there and in business, then people don't patronize your business.

This applies to everything that Amtrak or any other company might do. The public has multiple choices for everything they do or buy. If you don't let the public know what you've got to offer, then they won't be there buying your goods or service.

To accomplish the above, and let the public know what you've got it means that you need; TV comercial's, radio Ads, magazine ads, newspaper ads, and it means travel planners.

When I was in Montreal over the summer I actively sought out a VIA Rail national timetable book only to find that they did not have any. I don't know if they even publish a national book would be nice.

I always find it interesting as to how Amtrak decides to distribute its literature. For example in Fremont a station only served by the Capitol Corridor I regularly see brochures for Viewliner sleeper cars when no Viewliner comes within 2000 miles of Fremont. I think it would be better if they distributed geographically relevant information at stations. For example at Fremont I would expect to find information for trains that directly connect into the Capitol Corridor route. I say this figuring that in the west a lot of the travel is intraregional thus people would be more receptive to information for services run in the west than they would about eastern services.

AlanB said:
Rule number 1 in business, is "You've got to spend money, to make money."
Pun intended, but If you don't toot the horn to let people know that you are there and in business, then people don't patronize your business.

This applies to everything that Amtrak or any other company might do. The public has multiple choices for everything they do or buy. If you don't let the public know what you've got to offer, then they won't be there buying your goods or service.

To accomplish the above, and let the public know what you've got it means that you need; TV comercial's, radio Ads, magazine ads, newspaper ads, and it means travel planners.
OK, but in my opinion we don't need the 20 pages or so of vaction ideas and frankly I think all the accomadtaion info could be included with the timetables to make a timetable/travel planner.

Amfleet said:
OK, but in my opinion we don't need the 20 pages or so of vaction ideas and frankly I think all the accomadtaion info could be included with the timetables to make a timetable/travel planner.
That may be true, however you are forgetting and/or don't know the true purpose of the annual travel planner. The true reason for the travel planners is to promote “Amtrak Vacations”. This is really a separate entity from Amtrak. They don’t just book train travel, they book the complete vacations that include hotels, rental cars, and of course a trip on Amtrak. They also sell travel insurance, in case you need to cancel your trip.

Now I suspect that Amtrak gets some commission from Amtrak Vacations, in addition to the train fare for all trips sold. That said however, “Amtrak Vacations” is really Globetrotters Vacations Inc, a company based in Illinois. They are the ones who make the most profit from anyone booking a trip with Amtrak Vacations.

This is why the planner has all those hotels listed, in addition to info about the various trains and their runs. The planner was not created solely to showcase the trains and their accommodations. I suspect that Amtrak seized upon the opportunity to save money by combining their train info, with a vacation planner. This way Amtrak didn’t need to foot the bill for the whole booklet; they were able to split the cost with Amtrak Vacations.

Wow, Alan...

That's quite a bit of information. I never realized all that. I guess I still liked it as just a regular passenger, so I do think that maybe I agree with Amfleet. Maybe Amtrak could just take it upon themselves to make a combo national timetable/accommodation brochure. That would be perfect, as far as I am concerned. And it would be handy as heck to be able to give to my passengers on the train.

Allen

While it makes sense, then you'll have to publish that in every timetable, and maybe colorize it.

Allen does make a good point of it being convienient to hand out, but these people already know about the route they're taking, and if you'd publish every route in every timetable, wouldn't that wind up costing more?

Tp49, while it may seem ridiculous to see a Viewliner brochure when you're not within 2000 miles of one does make sense, if one is interested in taking a trip to the east and want to know what to expect.

Viewliner,

What I meant is that the station in question serves intraregional trains with some connections off the lines. Now, I'm sure there are people who are interested in taking a trip east where the Viewliner equipment is. However, I'm sure that the percentage of people who fit in this category is under 2% of the total of people who use the Corridor service.

I think it would be better business to display information for equipment and amenities patrons from that station could reasonably expect to see during the course of their travels. While I would agree that there are some who hypothetically might be connecting at Emeryville to 5 and then in Chicago to the LSL I would be more inclined to believe that the people traveling long distance from this area are more apt to be going to places such as Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, Reno, Salt Lake City and Denver.

Viewliner...I see your point. I suppose the answer is that there really is no perfect answer. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back