2003 Travel Planner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tp49 said:
I think it would be better business to display information for equipment and amenities patrons from that station could reasonably expect to see during the course of their travels. While I would agree that there are some who hypothetically might be connecting at Emeryville to 5 and then in Chicago to the LSL I would be more inclined to believe that the people traveling long distance from this area are more apt to be going to places such as Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, Reno, Salt Lake City and Denver.
I agree, there should be information about the equipment you're more likely to see, but it should be in addition to the system wide equipment.

tp49 said:
When I was in Montreal over the summer I actively sought out a VIA Rail national timetable book only to find that they did not have any. I don't know if they even publish a national book would be nice.
VIA Rail does publish a national timetable book. It is actually more conveneint than Amtrak's to carry - about 1/3 the size - easily can fit in your pocket for reference. Ask any of the larger Amtrak stations for a copy - they are usually kept in the back instead of on display so that Amtrak passengers don't get confused.

I love the Amtrak Planner and used Amtrak Vacations to book by trip from Miami to Los Angeles this past summer. Yes, they are an independent travel operation, run by Globetrotter Vacations in Illinois. I had wanted to takem a trip on the Sunset Limited, and the travel planner allowed to to book my hotel, rental car, attraction tickets, et al. all in one place, which was very convenient. They also offered discounts on Amtrak tickets, and were very knowledgeable.

Many of you may recall my multi-part trip report, which was posted here and on other raifan websites. In it I discussed how professionally I was handled by Amtrak Vacations, including when our westbound Sunset Limited was annulled and we were rerouted on the Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited and Southwest Chief. We arrived in Los Angeles two days later than scheduled, but Amtrak Vacations took very good care of notifying the car rental and hotel of our later arrival. They quickly credited us the difference.

I, for one, find the Amtrak Planner an excellent tool and a good introduction for people unfamiliar with rail travel. It describes the views and stops on the train quite well.trip report

Guys, its not too late to get some more 2002 travel planners, as you can order it through the Amtrak website, as I did, and mine came in the mail while I was away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back