2018 New River Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you would like to view the cars that make up the New River train, the photos are located at

https://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/cp/GpK7sBLdHzf

I hope I did not leave any of the cars out.
I was looking in this album for a better view of that dome car in the photo in post #2, just beyond what looks like "Dearing", and before another dome car...In the photo, unless it's an optical illusion, it looks like one of those former "Chessie", low profile Budd domes...I don't recognize it in the album, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me....
default_unsure.png
The dome car right in front the Dearing was built for C&O but never used because ridership was declining. This is one of the cars that was sold to the B&O

Moonlight Dome to be more precise. It also served some time with the Seaboard Coastline.
I am familiar with the history of the car....I just didn't see it again in those 'album' photo's...so it is included in the consist?

It is in the consist. Up until cvsr purchased the Silver Fleet from California they were also scheduled to be in the consist. But that won't happen now.

The train is run from Huntington WV to Hinton WV there isn't a wye at Hinton so the engines uncouple from the front of the train and go to the other end to pull it back to Huntington. If the last engine isn't facing the other direction, all of the engines would be running backwards. Amtrak has known for years that the last of the engines needed to face the other direction. This special train has run for years. This year is the last time this event will take place unless West Virginia helps pay some of the costs (something it has refused to do).

Back