2020 Voting Has Begun! Registration Deadlines Begin Oct. 4 (Pro-Rail and Non-Partisan)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have You Done the Following? (Can be updated over time)

• Registered to vote

• Confirmed voting status

• Procured required identification

• Requested mail-in ballot

• Submitted a completed ballot

• Voted early in person

• Voted on election day

• Ran into problems

• Refused to vote

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ok, I done voted this afternoon. Small line, but it was sort of crowded in there. Then when I got done filling in the circles on the ballot and got up to take it to the counting machine, I noticed the man in the booth next to me had his darn mask below his nose which was quite large, I might add. I was tempted to tell him to "pull your darn pants/mask up", but I was leaving and didn't want to be around such people any more than I have to. I spent a lot of time on the ballot because there were a lot of things on it, but I didn't notice when he sat down next to me. Also, I'm pretty sure it was less than 6 feet between voting desks, so I was not pleased with the site I voted at.

With regard to the Post office, when everyone was first in an uproar over the negative changes there, I mailed a box of books at book rate (the cheapest and slowest) from NM to OH and it took 7 days to get there which was better than I expected. However, about this same time, someone had mailed me a first class letter containing a check from CA and I got it 7 days after he mailed it. Seven days in both cases and 7 days to get from one place in Dayton to another in Dayton per Dakota 400. So 7 seems to be the magic number.

Seven days is enough to disqualify millions of otherwise valid ballots in battleground states. Even states without strict cutoffs are likely to face legal challenges that will interrupt and freeze ballot counting as we saw back in 2000.

Last edited:
Initially, I thought that might be the case. Reading the information from my Board of Elections more carefully, the date that the ballot was received was the same date that the ballot was processed and approved. That was one week after I put the ballot in the mail slot at the Post Office. The Director of our County Board of Elections has been saying that they are processing the ballots on the day their Office receives them. There has been no back-log with which to deal.

The Dayton Daily News, a couple of weeks ago did a test to see how quickly the same size envelope as a ballot envelope with the proper postage applied was received in their office by mailing dozens of such envelopes in a variety of places throughout our region. The envelope mailed from the Post Office where I mailed my ballot took one week to be delivered to the newspaper's office near downtown Dayton.
Well that's not good. Does the ballot have to be received by election day in OH?

In my county the standing instruction is to mail the mail ballot at least 7 days before election day, failing which take it to any early voting station and drop it off in the secure drop box that is available in each, or do so at any of the election commission administrative offices.

In my county the standing instruction is to mail the mail ballot at least 7 days before election day, failing which take it to any early voting station and drop it off in the secure drop box that is available in each, or do so at any of the election commission administrative offices.
Unfortunately here in Texas, each of the 254 Counties can only have 1 "Drop off Box" for Early Ballots.

Counties range from Loving County in West Texas with a Population of 169, to Harris County( Houston Area) with 6,000,000+ which is Larger in Area than 7 States, and makes it really hard for those who cant drive to deliver their ballots.( Ballot Harvesting or having others deliver ballots is not allowed).

The average time for Postal Mail to be delivered here in Texas ranges from 3-7 days depending on where you live.

Update: More Texans have Voted Early in 2020 than the Total Vote in 2016!!!

Unfortunately here in Texas, each of the 254 Counties can only have 1 "Drop off Box" for Early Ballots.

Counties range from Loving County in West Texas with a Population of 169, to Harris County( Houston Area) with 6,000,000+ which is Larger in Area than 7 States, and makes it really hard for those who cant drive to deliver their ballots.( Ballot Harvesting or having others deliver ballots is not allowed).

The average time for Postal Mail to be delivered here in Texas ranges from 3-7 days depending on where you live.

Update: More Texans have Voted Early in 2020 than the Total Vote in 2016!!!

That 1 per county drop box is a strange law. Some folk can't even get to a box 2 blocks away without some help, that older people may not have. It make absolutely no sense. Sounds like obstruction of justice.
I voted!

Corona infections are surging so stay safe if voting in person and if voting by mail be sure to track your ballot and report any anomalies you may encounter. Last minute scheming and manipulation is likely as subversive groups are prodded to take action against political foes with indirect cues like pulling back on postal security.

The USPS ordered its uniformed police officers to halt their patrol duties at the end of August, raising concerns about the security of mail-in ballots and sparking a lawsuit against the agency.

The order came a day after Postmaster General Louis DeJoy testified to Congress that he would suspend sweeping changes until after the election following criticism they could delay ballot delivery.

https://www.businessinsider.com/usp...cers-election-mail-in-ballot-concerns-2020-10

Last edited:
Well that's not good. Does the ballot have to be received by election day in OH?

If the ballot is mailed, it must be postmarked the day before the election. Absentee ballots may be returned in person to their County Board of Elections on the day of election before the polls close at 7:30 P. M.

CT is one of the few states that doesn't have early voting unfortunately, which I've always found strange. They did add COVID as an option for absentee mail-in ballots this year and mailed an application to each registered voter. That's nice, but I really wish states would do away with the application part. It's difficult enough getting people to vote and having to fill out, sign, and mail/drop off two different forms several weeks apart for the same election is silly. I have heard good things about the drop-off boxes here, which my family, friends, and I all used to drop off our ballots. Very similar design to post office boxes. I think there is at least one in each of the 169 towns/cities in CT, so I consider us lucky. My town's is at the town hall. Incredibly easy process overall, just need to read the instructions correctly. Ballots were mailed out starting October 3rd by each town hall I believe, so it was quick getting mine. I filled it out and dropped it off about two weeks ago and it shows as processed integrated in the voter registration lookup tool on the state website. I know my state participates in signature verification with the Department of Motor Vehicles to compare your ballot signature with your ID signature, which as others have pointed out, is a fatally flawed verification process, especially with how much variation there is in handwriting especially over a license validity time which can be up to 8 years now.

I would have voted early in-person if that was an option, but I decided to vote absentee to get it over with and know my ballot will be counted as opposed to running into long lines/other issues on Election Day. I anxiously await results as we close in under two weeks from the big day, and though I'm disappointed about all the illegal voter suppression that's rampant across the country, I'm hopeful and optimistic about the number of people registering for the first time and the number of votes already cast, it's quite incredible!

Here in Michigan (specifically Wayne County, City of Detroit), absentee voting seems to be going smoothly.

The State of Michigan website has been thorough in providing residents information regarding their local clerk/election offices and staffed vs. unstaffed ballot drop box locations.

I received my ballot in the mail...weeks ago on October 1st, but waited to review down-ballot selections and proposals. I( prefer having time to go over key judges, officials, and props...or, if in person, bringing in a sample ballot. Whatever's clever.) I was pleasantly surprised my neighborhood community house has a dropbox right in the driveway so I dropped mine off there on the 6th! By the 7th I received a notification it was received (we have two systems for verifying that ballots were received and processed - one includes text message alerts for citizens.) They have clear instructions and easy procedures for if you spoil a ballot, too.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20201006_145057.jpg
    thumbnail_20201006_145057.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnail_20201007_193213.jpg
    thumbnail_20201007_193213.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_tempFileForShare_20201022-091947.jpg
    thumbnail_tempFileForShare_20201022-091947.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
REMINDER: Voter registration deadline for Arizona*, Nebraska, and Utah is tomorrow, October 23!
Correction: Arizona's registration extension period was rescinded by court ruling and has already expired.

I didn't even know there were postal police until this article. I knew about postal inspectors who are supposed to deal with mail theft and the like and who can't seem to get anything done in my part of the world. Is that the same as the postal police?
Postal Police Officers are the uniformed division of the Postal Inspection Service. In the past if a given route or area had a history of theft, abuse, or other safety issues postal police officers would help protect the staff and mail in and around those areas. Or, at least they could have before being sidelined. What they will not do (at least to my knowledge) is protect private property prior to pickup or after delivery, which is when mail where I live is most at risk. I support improving and expanding protection from mail theft but we seem to be moving further backward at the moment.

Last edited:
I will be voting in person, but that is because I will be working on a friend's campaign and will be at polling places all day. I have only used an absentee ballot once and that was for a primary I was out of town for.

I can tell you that ballot security is a real thing. When I bought my condo, it took 2-3 years to stop getting the post cards for the old owners telling them where to vote. If I were so inclined I could have asked for absentee ballots for them and voted for them. I am involved in local politics and know both of my registrars and it took me a long time to convince them that this couple no longer lived in the home I bought from them. I come across people registered to vote at bad addresses all the time working on campaigns. Nobody really seems interested in cleaning up the voter rolls. Local folks know this, I don't think anyone has figured out a good way to exploit this nationally yet, at least I hope they haven't.

I will be voting in person, but that is because I will be working on a friend's campaign and will be at polling places all day. I have only used an absentee ballot once and that was for a primary I was out of town for.

I can tell you that ballot security is a real thing. When I bought my condo, it took 2-3 years to stop getting the post cards for the old owners telling them where to vote. If I were so inclined I could have asked for absentee ballots for them and voted for them. I am involved in local politics and know both of my registrars and it took me a long time to convince them that this couple no longer lived in the home I bought from them. I come across people registered to vote at bad addresses all the time working on campaigns. Nobody really seems interested in cleaning up the voter rolls. Local folks know this, I don't think anyone has figured out a good way to exploit this nationally yet, at least I hope they haven't.
The Russians,Iranians and Chinese are on this! See the FBI/HLS Report from Wed.

I didn't even know there were postal police until this article. I knew about postal inspectors who are supposed to deal with mail theft and the like and who can't seem to get anything done in my part of the world. Is that the same as the postal police?

Postal police was a new job classification to me as well. Devil's Advocate's explanation of their job (and reading a part of the lawsuit that was filed) certainly was informative.

I'm going to post this with some trepidation because I don't want to start an argument. It is simply a concern that I have that I have not seen addressed during this election season. I want to make it clear: I am in favor of making the right to vote as easy as is reasonable and am against any voter suppression attempts.

In Ohio, there is only one "drop box location" per County allowed for ballots to be received. That box is located where our County Board of Elections is housed. Arguments have been made in Ohio to allow other "drop box locations" in the County as some States permit. At least for 2020, that isn't going to happen.

Our County Board of Elections Director has said that their "drop box" is regularly emptied during the day. To me, that indicates that there is some security being provided for the ballots deposited in that box. "Someone" is keeping an "eye" on the box.

If there are "drop box locations" at distant locations within the County, how often would it be reasonable to expect for the ballots in that box to be collected? How "secure" are those boxes?

Are those "multiple drop box locations" as secure as mailing one's ballot at a Post Office?

In Florida Drop Boxes are located only in places with staff nearby. They are in the Administrative Offices of the County Supervisor of Elections and at each early voting polling stations.

There are other states where there are other locations. Don't see any reason why they would be any less secure than a Mail Box, and don;t see why they could not be collected from a couple of times a day.

Last edited:
The boxes themselves are probably secure. What I wonder about is the security of the ballots once they are out of the box but are awaiting counting.

I am from Connecticut, a few years ago in Bridgeport our state made national news for issues including a bag of ballots that were left unsecured in the corner of a hotel ballroom. My city's tax office was keeping cash in a plastic shopping bag under a counter and only occasionally making deposits. This only came to light when an employee was accused o stealing the cash.

In Florida Drop Boxes are located only in places with staff nearby. They are in the Administrative Offices of the County Supervisor of Elections and at each early voting polling stations.

There are other states where there are other locations. Don;t see any reason why they would be any less secure than a Mail Box, and don;t see why they could not be collected from a couple of times a day.
Unless you look @ California where a certain Party set up " Fake" Drop off Boxes to illegally Harvest Votes.

Sort of like sending the Fox to guard the Chickenhouse!

Unless you look @ California where a certain Party set up " Fake" Drop off Boxes to illegally Harvest Votes.

Sort of like sending the Fox to guard the Chickenhouse!
For those congenitally predisposed to break the law and/or cheat, they can set up fake mail boxes too. 🤪

Last edited:
I'm going to post this with some trepidation because I don't want to start an argument. It is simply a concern that I have that I have not seen addressed during this election season. I want to make it clear: I am in favor of making the right to vote as easy as is reasonable and am against any voter suppression attempts.

In Ohio, there is only one "drop box location" per County allowed for ballots to be received. That box is located where our County Board of Elections is housed. Arguments have been made in Ohio to allow other "drop box locations" in the County as some States permit. At least for 2020, that isn't going to happen.

Our County Board of Elections Director has said that their "drop box" is regularly emptied during the day. To me, that indicates that there is some security being provided for the ballots deposited in that box. "Someone" is keeping an "eye" on the box.

If there are "drop box locations" at distant locations within the County, how often would it be reasonable to expect for the ballots in that box to be collected? How "secure" are those boxes?

Are those "multiple drop box locations" as secure as mailing one's ballot at a Post Office?

No trepidation needed...that's a good question! As you alluded to, with the 2020 Election season many things are a bit too late to have implemented, but there absolutely should be consideration to address/think about dropbox security. I can only speak for my area where the locations of drop boxes are in often-staffed locations, and when not, the buildings seem to have cameras (from the locations I scouted-out in my neck fo the woods.) I've heard of the one ballot box location in Texas (Bob Dylan above).

I'm not sure what the realistic expectation is for states with multiple drop boxes. I would think a route where someone or several people from a county elections office goes around to collect them with some frequency, but some counties are BIG and boxes can be far-flung. I don't know.

Last edited:
We are now seven days away from election day. This is the best time to send any remaining ballots to help ensure they are received and counted rather than ignored or discarded. There is new push to forcibly end all counting at midnight on November 3rd to ram through whoever is in the lead so do not delay one minute longer than necessary. If your state does not cover the cost of postage be sure to add enough for first class delivery or your ballot may never be counted.

Despite the unprecedented and hypocritical maneuvering we witnessed last night it is more important now than ever to keep voting, keep calling, and keep donating to the causes in which we believe. Moneyed interests and master manipulators have always clung to the old ways in times of change. If you know someone who cares but doesn't always act remind them how much is at stake and how their lack of participation today can silence their voice tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back