21 is 7.5 hours late

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frequentflyer

Conductor
According to TrainOrders, had a problem in STL , left 5 hours late, and lost another 2.5 into Texas. Hopefully they annull the train in FTW and bus pax to meet #1 instead of holding it in SAT.

As of now, it's 8.5 hours late and hasn't hit Dallas. If they bustitute, will they run the train the rest of the way to San Antonio so the return leg is normal, or will they do a bus bridge back to Fort Worth or Dallas?

As of now, it's 8.5 hours late and hasn't hit Dallas. If they bustitute, will they run the train the rest of the way to San Antonio so the return leg is normal, or will they do a bus bridge back to Fort Worth or Dallas?

Well they don’t have 21 in Service Disruption, so it sounds like they will run the train all the way to San Antonio. Hard to say if they’ll bus-bridge or just hold 1 for the connection.

Well they don’t have 21 in Service Disruption, so it sounds like they will run the train all the way to San Antonio. Hard to say if they’ll bus-bridge or just hold 1 for the connection.
According to trainordees:
Amtrak will Bustitute all 21/421Passengers making connections with #1 in SAS from Longview to San Antonio.

Those going to Mineola and Dallas will stay on the Train to Dallas and then Passengers bound for San Antonio from all stops between Dallas and San Marcos will be Bustituted .

Last edited:
You mean SAS, not SAT.

Sorry, I thought Amtrak used airport code abbreviations.

So the SL pax went to sleep 48 minutes late out of Houston, only to wake up now 3.5 hours late. On a day when 95 percent of Amtrak's LD trains were in the green ( Shocking, right?)

I noticed the northbound 22 had 2 units two at Texarkana. Whats up with that? Amtrak now realizing just how unreliable the Gennies are becoming? I went through this when CEO Claytor held on to the F40s a couple of years too long, they started breaking down on the road too.

According to trainordees:
Those going to Mineola and Dallas will stay on the Train to Dallas and then Passengers bound for San Antonio from all stops between Dallas and San Marcos will be Bustituted .

I can see bussing the 421/1 customers, but bussing the rest from Dallas south and still running the train would really suck. But my guess is they had a change of heart.

Sorry, I thought Amtrak used airport code abbreviations.

So the SL pax went to sleep 48 minutes late out of Houston, only to wake up now 3.5 hours late. On a day when 95 percent of Amtrak's LD trains were in the green ( Shocking, right?)

I noticed the northbound 22 had 2 units two at Texarkana. Whats up with that? Amtrak now realizing just how unreliable the Gennies are becoming? I went through this when CEO Claytor held on to the F40s a couple of years too long, they started breaking down on the road too.

22 having two locomotives had more to do with the Heartland Flyer. I swung by the station yesterday and 130 was waiting on the HF’s connection track to be picked up by 22. I would suspect it has an issue or inspection that needs to be addressed in Chicago. Something kind of cool, and I wish I’d known this over the last few days as I probably would have gone out to get a pic, is along with 130, 156 is in FTW for HF service too. Two heritage units in push-pull service would be a great picture.

Given the bustitution situation, I'd be quite miffed if I were a through sleeper passenger in the 'train' 421 car. Not only prevented from sleeping horizontally in the night, but the high likelihood of no spare sleeper at SAS meaning that when they join the train a Maricopa, they'll ride coach for the rest of their trip.

My big concern is that I'll be in the #421 sleeper CHI-LAX in late April. Even a partial refund - if any, as I booked the trip on points - would not make up for the lost sleep.

Given the bustitution situation, I'd be quite miffed if I were a through sleeper passenger in the 'train' 421 car. Not only prevented from sleeping horizontally in the night, but the high likelihood of no spare sleeper at SAS meaning that when they join the train a Maricopa, they'll ride coach for the rest of their trip.

My big concern is that I'll be in the #421 sleeper CHI-LAX in late April. Even a partial refund - if any, as I booked the trip on points - would not make up for the lost sleep.

They do have a spare sleeper (and coach) in SAS. On Wednesday nights 421 is connected to 1, but there isn’t a 2 that night so there would be no cars to connect to 22. So Amtrak leaves a sleeper and coach in SAS 6 nights a week as they are replaced Thursday night when 2 does come through and 21 would already have it’s sleeper and coach so those get set-out. The rest of the week the cars are used for protection for missed connections or bad ordered cars.

So at least you’d have a room from SAS, but the bus ride would stink.

Does anyone know what happens to the thru sleeper and coach from LA when 2 is so late into SAS that they don't hold 22? I understand they bus the passengers to try to meet the train at Dallas or something (though I could be wrong about that), but then it seems like the extra sleeper and coach would stay on 2 and end up in New Orleans. What do they do with them there?

Or do they still get detached in SAS - but then what to they do next?

Does anyone know what happens to the thru sleeper and coach from LA when 2 is so late into SAS that they don't hold 22? I understand they bus the passengers to try to meet the train at Dallas or something (though I could be wrong about that), but then it seems like the extra sleeper and coach would stay on 2 and end up in New Orleans. What do they do with them there?

Or do they still get detached in SAS - but then what to they do next?

They often turn it back with 22

There is an extra coach and sleeper kept in San Antonio due to the odd Wednesday and Thursday schedule of the Sunset Limited when they don’t both go through the same night. So what he’s saying is 1 can pick up the extra cars and 22 will either keep the equipment it came in with or it’ll set them out and get the 422 cars that are incoming.

Now todays 22 is almost 8 hours late, left SAS three hours late.........Just left Litttle Rock.
I'm on that train. They've not been keeping passengers well informed. To the best of my knowledge, freight interference caused the 3 hour delay by SAS, then yesterday evening we stopped behind a freight that had hit someone or something on the tracks. Result of that incident is that we're now running about 8 hours late.

I'm on that train. They've not been keeping passengers well informed. To the best of my knowledge, freight interference caused the 3 hour delay by SAS, then yesterday evening we stopped behind a freight that had hit someone or something on the tracks. Result of that incident is that we're now running about 8 hours late.

Sorry for your delay, and I hope Amtrak makes it right if you are missing any connections. At least you get to see some rare Arkansas and Missouri daylight scenery.

"They've not been keeping passengers well informed" seems to be SOP these days; I remember back in August being on a 15 hour late 21 and they told us v. little and some of it was contradictory.

I got a $125 voucher after I called, they also told me after my complaints that "your complaints will be relayed and you might get a letter of explanation or apology, or something more" but it's a good thing I didn't hold my breath on that.

At least the $125 covered the motel room I had to get in Mineola because we pulled in at like 1 am. (I have a 2 1/2 hour drive from Mineola to my home)

There is an extra coach and sleeper kept in San Antonio due to the odd Wednesday and Thursday schedule of the Sunset Limited when they don’t both go through the same night. So what he’s saying is 1 can pick up the extra cars and 22 will either keep the equipment it came in with or it’ll set them out and get the 422 cars that are incoming.
Thank you!

Back