21 or 421?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloBoy

Service Attendant
I Amsnagged Chicago to Fort Worth for a roomette and got two choices (same price), 21 or 421 Eagle. I know it's the same train but where are the sleepers in the consist? I have only ridden coach on the Texas Eagle and wonder if one is preferable over the other?

#421 is a through car to Los Angeles. That sleeper is frequently on the rear of the train while the 21 sleepers are at the head end.

Edit: I say frequently because, in my experiences, the 421/422 sleeper has been in both locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is unusual! Usually #421 is more expensive than #21 even though it's the same train.

There is one Revenue Sleeper on #21/#421 that is cut out in San Antonio along with a Coach, and the Transdorm which returns to CHI the next morning on #22. The Revenue Sleeper may be either behind the Transdorm or on the end of the Train, it seems to change regularly.

If you book #421 you will be in the Revenue Sleeper, if you book #21 you may be assigned a room in the Transdorm between CHI and FTW.

Ask when you call to book, you can request a specific room. On my trip last week CHI-AUS I chose the Transdorm!

This is unusual! Usually #421 is more expensive than #21 even though it's the same train.

There is one Revenue Sleeper on #21/#421 that is cut out in San Antonio along with a Coach, and the Transdorm which returns to CHI the next morning on #22.

If you book #421 you will be in the Revenue Sleeper, if you book #21 you will be assigned a room in the Transdorm between CHI and FTW.
I amsnagged the whole month of November and frequently the price was the same for the roomette, I would think I would have a better ride at the head end and the extra noise wouldnt bother me, but where would the diner be?

If I book a sleeper from Chicago to Benson, AZ on the Eagle, will they automatically give me the through sleeper or do I have to specifically request it?

I have a relative moving out there next summer, so I've been pondering a CL/TE trip.

If I book a sleeper from Chicago to Benson, AZ on the Eagle, will they automatically give me the through sleeper or do I have to specifically request it?

I have a relative moving out there next summer, so I've been pondering a CL/TE trip.
You will probably be offered only the 421 through sleeper although you may be offered the 21 and 1 connecting in SAS... look close ... just in case!

Perhaps not. Just made an Amsnag query starting tomorrow for a 30 day period and of the 10 days where total roomette fares were available for both trains (for direct comparison), 21 was higher on 5 days, 421 was higher on 5 days and there was no day when they were equal. Methinks there's nothing usual about the Amtrak fare selection monkey! He's totally unpredictable!! ^_^

Regards

P.S.: For the 1 through 30 November 2015 period, 21 was the most expensive 6 days and 421 the most expensive for 4 days with no ties - for a roomette. For the 1 through 30 December 2015 period, 21 was the most expensive all 7 days on which roomette fares were available for both trains. So for the 19 October through 30 December 2015 period, 21 was the most expensive on 18 days and 421 the most expensive on 9 days - with no ties. But for all I know, 421 could always be the most expensive during the first three months of 2016. I'd never bet on what the monkey will do.

When I have traveled and/or viewed the TE the last few months, the revenue sleeper has been on the rear of the consist. I also know that 21/22 is the Transdorm and 421/422 the revenue sleeper, easily determined right now since when making an on line reservation since there are no family or bedrooms on the Transdorm only Roomettes.

2 weeks ago I was in the 421 sleeper from sas to chi. I was in roomette 10 so the railfan window was right at my elbow which I enjoyed quite a bit. There was only 1 coach between my car and the diner and it was empty all the way to stl. The other coaches were at the front with the transdorm. And then at stl they added another coach behind my car.

Back