21 TE issue last night?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked the Denny’s web page, the 903 East Commerce location in San Antonio is back to 24/7.
Good to know. I never thought of Denny's as a take away place but that's probably because I mainly order breakfast there.

El Paso also has Juanita the Burrito Lady.
Is she still doing her thing during the pandemic?

Good to know. I never thought of Denny's as a take away place but that's probably because I mainly order breakfast there.

Is she still doing her thing during the pandemic?
Yep, I've seen a few Trip Reports and pics about the Sunset that still show her there.

Several said she sold out quickly! Understandable with the current offerings in the so called Diner, and the fact that Crew Members are not allowed to eat without paying for their meals!

If we're talking seriously

Well, a little tongue in cheek...

If onboard meals have deteriorated as much as reported here then thank you for any information. All our Amtrak journeys have been substantially improved by information volunteered on this forum.

We are planning a longer US journey (non rail) but to include traveling from Los Angeles to either Washington DC or NYC by train, the Texas Eagle is the only really long distance route we have never used so we intend to rectify that, but it is a way off yet...

I just checked the Denny’s web page, the 903 East Commerce location in San Antonio is back to 24/7. The Denny’s is approximately 1/2 mile walk from the station. Lots of folks have taken the middle of the night pause to get breakfast or a sandwich, stretch ones legs.

We like walking, thanks.

El Paso also has Juanita the Burrito Lady.

Serious question Jim. Does she do a vegetarian version too?

Last edited:
Well, a little tongue in cheek...

If onboard meals have deteriorated as much as reported here then thank you for any information. All our Amtrak journeys have been substantially improved by information volunteered on this forum.

We are planning a longer US journey (non rail) but to include traveling from Los Angeles to either Washington or NYC by train, the Texas Eagle is the only really long distance route we have never used so we intend to rectify that, but it is a way off yet...

We like walking, thanks.

Serious question Jim. Does she do a vegetarian version too?
I honestly dont know Jaime. The 2 Versions I've had were "Regular"( Tourist Grade) and Spicey.( Texan and Mexican Natives😄) The meat has been Pork or Chicken. Both delicious and filling.

Another member might know ???

I think the burrito lady's selection varies over time but in general Tex-Mex cuisine does not follow the usual meaning of vegetarian. Even if it's called a potato taco or bean burrito it will still include eggs or lard regardless of spice levels. Here In Texas "vegetarian" mainly refers to salads and bread unless you're in a niche restaurant that caters to outsiders.

Last edited:
I think the burrito lady's selection varies over time but in general Tex-Mex cuisine does not follow the usual meaning of vegetarian. Even if it's called a potato taco or bean burrito it will still include eggs or lard regardless of spice levels. Here In Texas "vegetarian" mainly refers to salads and bread unless you're in a niche restaurant that caters to outsiders.
OK, I understand now. My simplistic meaning of vegetarian is without meat only, anything else is ok.

Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated
The line between vegan and vegetarian gets more blurred all the time. My vegetarian friends would have no issues with the items DA mentions above; they just don't eat meat, but eggs and seafood are fine. They're also not going to demand a grill be cleaned because bacon was fried next to their eggs.

I always thought of vegetarians as being focused on moral or nutritional considerations but if they're okay with lard then it would seem to be more about flavor and texture than the original source of the food or how it interacts with the human body. I'm not sure how that would explain the wide variety of plant based sausage, bacon, burgers etc. Vegetarianism seems to be a rather fluid concept to many people. I've heard other terms that attempt to narrow it down for people who eat fish and eggs but those descriptions don't seem to be used nearly as often.

Last edited:
The vegetarians I know are ok with eggs and cheese, lard would not pass muster. The ones that accept seafood seem to have created another category "pescatarians" But more and more vegetarian places are adding the "vegan optional" choice on many items, where they will swap out things like butter or cheese for plant based substitutes.

I think the most extreme 'vegan's' will not consume any animal products, whatsoever....won't even wear woolen clothing.

Back