#231 F40PHR rescued

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_coach34135

Go here:

trainweb.com and read the NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good, it also happens to be the one with the Operation Lifesaver Painted on front, I heard the guy mention it at railforum.com

It's kind of odd when I just got a car for $15,000 and he just got a 3000 hp passenger rail locomotive for $20,000. Though, the locomotive has probably traveled over a million miles over the past 25 years of service!!

Amfleet said:
It's kind of odd when I just got a car for $15,000 and he just got a 3000 hp passenger rail locomotive for $20,000. Though, the locomotive has probably traveled over a million miles over the past 25 years of service!!
Amfleet,

Who ever told you that life always makes sense? :)

Besides, they probably will spend a lot more money to fix up the engine, than you will have to spend on your car.

Amfleet said:
Though, the locomotive has probably traveled over a million miles over the past 25 years of service!!
Ah yes, 3,542,079 miles to be exact...

:)

I can't believe you were able to purchase a motive for onl 20 grand! I'm going to have to let some of my preservationist friends know about this one, as I know a few museums who may want to purchase one of their own!

battalion51 said:
I can't believe you were able to purchase a motive for onl 20 grand! I'm going to have to let some of my preservationist friends know about this one, as I know a few museums who may want to purchase one of their own!
Well just remember that's the purchase price of the engine.

Then they have to pay to have it inspected, make any necessary repairs. Then they have to pay either Amtrak or a freight RR to transport the engine from Amtrak's Beach Grove facility to where ever the museum is. So the final price tag ends up being a lot more than 20 grand. :eek:

I believe the loco is going to Portland, Oregon. The person who organized this has a website (he also posted in this topic, a big welcome to F40PHR231 to our forum) on the project which can be found here.

tp49 said:
I believe the loco is going to Portland, Oregon. The person who organized this has a website (he also posted in this topic, a big welcome to F40PHR231 to our forum) on the project which can be found here.
Welcome, nice to see you've joined us!!!

What are the ranges in pledges you've gotten?

I'll tell you, If I ever get the money, I'd love to buy Viewliner 2300 (and possibly 2301 & 8400)

Where's Joe when you need him? :(

LOL! I don't know that 2301 is up for sale because it's been running around down here as Dorm, although I have STILL yet to catch up to it. i'm ready for it though. Anytime I get ready to go on a trip, I have one of my Conductor friends who has ARROW at home, so I have him get consists and a history on 2301 everytime I get ready to go out.

Welcome, F40PHR231! I hope you'll keep us informed on what's going on with the engine. Also, let us know when you'll be able to accept donations to help with the resto work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back