29(18) Detouring though MI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Court Jester
From my wife:

"So, my train has been sitting in the same spot for over an hour now ... Apparently there is a freight train derailed in front of us. The conductor just announces that we're going to "back up" to Toledo (about 40mi back) then reroute through Michigan to get to Chicago! Fun!"

I had the chance to take the train out there with her (she's spending the weekend with a friend in CHI), I could have taken the train out last night and back today in time to be in DC Saturday for some things I need to do. Sadly, I didn't come up with this master plan until too late.

Is it a bad thing that I'm disappointed that I'm not on a train that's getting delayed? :eek:hboy:

I'm with you, Ryan. A Michigan detour is on my bucket list.

As far as I know, the train misses Detroit's station, but not by much.

Rafi
Well, getting to Detroit (Baltimore Ave.) would require a serious backup move to either get to it or get beack from it heading towards Chicago. I suspect it makes it onto the Amtrak Michigan line through the mze of tracks south of Detroit station somehow and then goes through Dearborn.

From my wife:

"So, my train has been sitting in the same spot for over an hour now ... Apparently there is a freight train derailed in front of us. The conductor just announces that we're going to "back up" to Toledo (about 40mi back) then reroute through Michigan to get to Chicago! Fun!"

I had the chance to take the train out there with her (she's spending the weekend with a friend in CHI), I could have taken the train out last night and back today in time to be in DC Saturday for some things I need to do. Sadly, I didn't come up with this master plan until too late.

Is it a bad thing that I'm disappointed that I'm not on a train that's getting delayed? :eek:hboy:
Wanting to be on a delayed Train: Good! :cool: Bustitution: Bad! :angry:

And you dont miss much when you miss the Detroit Station, er Amshak! Meanwhile the Fabulous old Michigan Central Station rots away while the Politicians dither! :help:

Hope the Missus gets to ride back to DC in a Real Train! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back