29 & 49 for Tuesday June 15, 2010

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaspeamtrak

Lead Service Attendant
Does anybody know what has happened with these trains as Amtrak.com is showing a service disruption for these trains.

Sorry my question mark is not working! :(

Does anybody know what has happened with these trains as Amtrak.com is showing a service disruption for these trains.Sorry my question mark is not working! :(
Most likely it is related to the heavy rain and flash flooding around Chicago. I am on #30 as we speak and we fell five hours behind between Chicago and South Bend. Due to the flooding, we did not exceed 15mph (yes Fifteen) between the Chicago suburbs and South Bend.

In the latest twist.... we are now at a dead stop somewhere near Bryan, Ohio. I don't have my scanner on, but given the fact that we left Chicago 7 hours and 55 minutes ago, I fear our crew has "run out" of hours. Hopefully Amtrak anticipated this and has a crew on the way from Toledo.

EDIT: Oops, this was supposed to go in my "Real Time" Trip report.... not in this thread. Sorry for the randomness!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very heavy rains in the mid west yesterday and last night. Even in central Kentucky we were under flash flood warnings most of the day and evening.

In the latest twist.... we are now at a dead stop somewhere near Bryan, Ohio. I don't have my scanner on, but given the fact that we left Chicago 7 hours and 55 minutes ago, I fear our crew has "run out" of hours. Hopefully Amtrak anticipated this and has a crew on the way from Toledo.

EDIT: Oops, this was supposed to go in my "Real Time" Trip report.... not in this thread. Sorry for the randomness!
Just a question from a rookie train rider - you say the crew has "run out" of hours. Is the crew not allowed to work overtime? What happens when the crew runs out?

Just a question from a rookie train rider - you say the crew has "run out" of hours. Is the crew not allowed to work overtime? What happens when the crew runs out?
Federal Regulations will not allow certain crew members (Engineers and Conductors specifically) to work more than eight hours at a time. If they reach eight hours, they have to stop immediately and await a replacement crew. Thankfully, Amtrak had planned for this contingency and the new crew arrived via van from Toledo and we were back on our way in less than 20 minutes.

Other crew members, such as Dining Car attendants, Snack Car attendants and Sleeper Car attendants are not subject to these rules (They still get breaks and time to sleep... but they remain on the train for the duration of the trip on most routes)

Aloha

All transportation form have hour limits. the reasoning is that excessive hours cause fatigue. Some have variations between on duty

and off duty also. the actual train limits I don't know but it is a safety issue. A Sleepy driver, who would want that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Federal Regulations will not allow certain crew members (Engineers and Conductors specifically) to work more than eight hours at a time. If they reach eight hours, they have to stop immediately and await a replacement crew. Thankfully, Amtrak had planned for this contingency and the new crew arrived via van from Toledo and we were back on our way in less than 20 minutes.

Other crew members, such as Dining Car attendants, Snack Car attendants and Sleeper Car attendants are not subject to these rules (They still get breaks and time to sleep... but they remain on the train for the duration of the trip on most routes)
Perfectly correct, except that it's 12 hours, not 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back