2nd bucket list trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Law638

Train Attendant
EnjoyEd my first bucket list trip on the Silverstar to Florida and now I’ve decided I’d like to do a trip on the Zephyr. Is winter a good time to go? Also, should I fly back home or should I try taking the southwest chief to Chicago and onward to Pittsburgh? I appreciate any input!

Personally I would say absolutely yes to the California Zephyr during winter. And yes to the Southwest Chief back home. Don't forget the Coast Starlight south from Emeryville to Los Angeles. All three give you remarkable and diverse views of this nation's landscapes. The CZ travels some of the most stunning views of the Rocky Mountains all day long out of Denver. The Coast Starlight almost makes you want to step out right into the Pacific Ocean. The SWC takes through the hot and humid southwest. Keep in mind the Empire Builder is a gorgeous ride also across the northern tier of states bordering Canada back to Chicago. And you see some beautiful scenery from Emeryville north to Portland or Seattle. One last option would be the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle from LA to Chicago. That is Amtrak's longest route to/from Chicago. I have done all them over the years and hate having to detrain when I get home! Or you can put any of them on your bucket list for the future.

December 2019, I took the California Zephyr westbound to SAC, then Coast Starlight to SEA, then Empire Builder eastbound. It was beautiful in winter (especially the Rockies and Sierras on the CZ route). That was the second time I did that routing. Next time I will be taking the SWC westbound and CZ eastbound.
The California Zephyr westbound is the best - in my opinion.

Never considered the Starlight. Now, I may research the northern route home. Thank you so much for the valuable advice. This newbie appreciates it!

I also support a Winter trip on the Zephyr, then the Coast Starlight to Seattle, and the Empire Builder to Chicago. The Rockies are beautiful in the Winter and on the Empire Builder, going through Glacier NP during the Winter is another delight. I have done this. I spent a few days in both San Francisco and Seattle as well.

One thing to watch out for is snow. ice, and cold can delay trains and I'm guessing the California Zephyr would be one that would especially be susceptible. I remember taking the Lake Shore Limited and a train that was supposed to arrive in New York around 6:30pm arrived after midnight.

One thing to watch out for is snow. ice, and cold can delay trains and I'm guessing the California Zephyr would be one that would especially be susceptible. I remember taking the Lake Shore Limited and a train that was supposed to arrive in New York around 6:30pm arrived after midnight.
Here in Colorado snow is much less of an issue than heat-restrictions currently slowing things down. Ice is almost non-existent. Cold yes as a matter of fact Fraser, CO (one of the CZ stops) is know as the freezer of the US.

Here in Colorado snow is much less of an issue than heat-restrictions currently slowing things down. Ice is almost non-existent. Cold yes as a matter of fact Fraser, CO (one of the CZ stops) is know as the freezer of the US.

They don't get ice and snow in Colorado? I thought snow was very common there, in fact don't they have a "ski train"?

They don't get ice and snow in Colorado? I thought snow was very common there, in fact don't they have a "ski train"?
Oh we get snow!!! We just don't get a lot of ice. There is big difference! I'll take 6" of snow over a 1/4" of ice any day!

Oh we get snow!!! We just don't get a lot of ice. There is big difference! I'll take 6" of snow over a 1/4" of ice any day!

I live in the mountains with snow, and I travel primarily in winter. Agreed about the difference between snow and ice. Add wind to ice as a bigger deal than snow. Any winter train is likely to be delayed by a blizzard or ice storm, and more-so out in the open (Columbia Basin, Nevada desert, Great Plains) than in the mountains.

That said, I love winter train travel. If you allow an extra day or two at each connection point (for sightseeing as well as late trains), you will probably have a great time. Try using Sunrise Sunset Calendars to help schedule your trip. The most beautiful part of the southbound Coast Starlight is the descent into San Luis Obispo. You definitely want to wait late enough in the season to arrive in SLO within 30 minutes after sunset, so you can watch the sun set over the Pacific as you descend the mountain to the station. If you go north to PDX or SEA, you will want to get up as early as you can, and sit or stand by a right side window for the view of Mt. Shasta (which you can also see to the south as far as Klamath Falls). Same thing in the Montana Rockies - get up at daylight, and look out the LEFT side of the train (right side later in the morning after you cross the river). If you get lucky, your seat/room will be on the correct side(s).

Go for it, and let us know how it works out!

Great Plains scenery, February 2018:
westbound18p.jpg

December 2019, I took the California Zephyr westbound to SAC, then Coast Starlight to SEA, then Empire Builder eastbound. It was beautiful in winter (especially the Rockies and Sierras on the CZ route). That was the second time I did that routing. Next time I will be taking the SWC westbound and CZ eastbound.
The California Zephyr westbound is the best - in my opinion.
Booked this trip today, Pgh to Sacramento to Seattle with a overnight in Seattle. Booked a room thru Priceline. I did the mystery hotel & got the Alexis Sonesta. Returning on the Empire the next day. Any input will be appreciated!

Booked this trip today, Pgh to Sacramento to Seattle with a overnight in Seattle. Booked a room thru Priceline. I did the mystery hotel & got the Alexis Sonesta. Returning on the Empire the next day. Any input will be appreciated!
It looks like your hotel is in a good location however, it may not be walking distance at night with luggage.
That is very similar to my December 2019 trip and I think your routing is great. I stayed at Embassy Suites across the street from King Street Station in Seattle (which could not be more convenient - especially since there was rain the next day). Enjoy the trip!

You're in for a treat. What accomodations, if any are you using? When are you going? What previous experience do you have with Amtrak? That info plus specific questions would help with useful input from the gang. I have always been reluctant to use that Priceline tool fearing I might be saddled with a location or property I was not comfortable or happy with, but it sounds like you did well. Sonestas are generally very good.

Edit: I see now based on previous posts your are going this winter. That's my goal someday! Many times in summer, never in winter.

I depart 3/21 & return the 3/29. All but the Coast Starlight (roomette) are listed as family bedroom which I don’t understand. I received the car #’s & all the room #’s say 015. Aren’t family bedrooms alphabetical letters?

I depart 3/21 & return the 3/29. All but the Coast Starlight (roomette) are listed as family bedroom which I don’t understand. I received the car #’s & all the room #’s say 015. Aren’t family bedrooms alphabetical letters?
The "regular" upstairs bedrooms are lettered. The family bedroom is downstairs and I am guessing it is 15, but not positive.

The Alexis is a very nice hotel, but not within walking distance from King Street Station. Also, you will be arriving at night, and walking through Pioneer Square at that time of day is not advisable.

That's my goal someday! Many times in summer, never in winter.
Ditto.

Enjoy!!!!!!! I Am very jealous. I've never done a circle trip before but I hope to do one in the future.

I’m wondering if I’ll enjoy being on the first level. I really enjoyed the roomette on the Silver Star. What are the chances of being booted upstairs to a roomette?

I’m wondering if I’ll enjoy being on the first level. I really enjoyed the roomette on the Silver Star. What are the chances of being booted upstairs to a roomette?

It all depends. Many like being on the upper level for a better view but you may get more of a sensation of swaying which can be unnerving to some. However, it is unlikely you can make this change en route Used to be conductors could do that if rooms were available but I don't believe that is the case any longer. Someone will gladly correct me if I am wrong.

The Alexis is a very nice hotel, but not within walking distance from King Street Station. Also, you will be arriving at night, and walking through Pioneer Square at that time of day is not advisable.
You might enjoy Pioneer Square the morning before you leave since it is right in front of the station. Also the station has some history to it that might be fun to look up. Enjoy!

With the baggage storage area, shower, and more restrooms just steps away on the lower level, what is there not to like? For the best sightseeing, one needs to visit the SSL. The views from there exceed what one will have from a roomette or bedroom on the upper level.

Back