2nd bucket list trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>> I depart 3/21 & return the 3/29. All but the Coast Starlight (roomette) are listed as family bedroom which I don’t understand. I received the car #’s & all the room #’s say 015. <<

That's a good time of year; still a lot of snow in the mountains, but around the equinox so the days will be longer (for viewing the scenery) than in the depths of winter. I would recommend taking the Empire Builder home from Seattle if time and money permit. Again, still a lot of snow in the mountains and a good amount of daylight in which to view it. The Southwest Chief is a good train, but the southwest looks much the same regardless of the season. Early spring is a great time to ride the Empire Builder.

I'm puzzled about the family bedroom too, for a different reason. It sounds like you're traveling on your own -- did the agent think you wanted family bedrooms? Or were the other accommodations sold out this far in advance? Of course that is spring vacation time for a lot of people, and COVID has increased the popularity of the sleepers, but even so...

Personally, I do not book the family bedroom when traveling on my own or with one other person, even when the roommettes are sold out and even though it's cheaper than a bedroom (usually). It's a relatively economical sleeper option for families so I would rather try to leave it available for families. Others may feel differently about this, of course.

Thinking about winter travel...

Sacramento can be foggy.

Winter2004-05 026show.jpg

Winter in Seattle can be wet.

sea187-tcRte44rain.jpg

Winter scene in Crescent Lake, Oregon from Train 14. (Just after Chemult.)

Winter2004-05 138 (3).jpg

Fresh - really fresh! - air stop at Fraser on Train 5.

2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 013ff.jpg

Colorado River from Train 5 in November. More snow to come.

2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 020ff.jpg

On the Cascade Line from Train 14.

2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 103.jpg

In the Sierras from Train 5.

2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 053c.jpg

Approaching Las Vegas, NM on Train 4.

2011 West Coast Thanksgiving 257k NM approaching Las Vegas.jpg

And if Train 14 is late... Mt. Shasta in the clouds.

19Ak Mt.Shasta dawn.jpg

Enjoy your journey!

Ok, I checked the website & now I can book a roomette for the return trip, EB & CL For $100 less. I could experience the family bedroom or change to the roomette! Any advice?

Ok, I checked the website & now I can book a roomette for the return trip, EB & CL For $100 less. I could experience the family bedroom or change to the roomette! Any advice?
I'd take the Roomette unless you just want to experience the Family Bedroom, which has lot a of Space but is downstairs,which some of us don't care for. YMMV

Last edited:
I’m wondering if I’ll enjoy being on the first level. I really enjoyed the roomette on the Silver Star. What are the chances of being booted upstairs to a roomette?
Room 15 is the family bedroom. Roomettes on either level are a lower class of room, much smaller than the family room. So I can't see you being booted from a family room to a roomette. If that were to happen to me, I would expect some kind of refund.

Roomettes on Superliners are not a nice as those on Viewliners like the Silvers. The ceiling is a lot lower, there are no upper windows, and there is no sink in the room. Just setting expectations.

Have a feeling you'll like the Roomette better than the Family Bedroom simply because while the later has windows on both sides of the car, those windows are only half as wide as those in a Roomette or Bedroom.Superliner Sleeper Windows.jpg
In addition, I think the back on one of the two facing seats (center image, below, on the right) is fixed and bolt upright.
Sleeper Kneespace.jpg

Last edited:
Have a feeling you'll like the Roomette better than the Family Bedroom simply because while the later has windows on both sides of the car, those windows are only half as wide as those in a Roomette or Bedroom.View attachment 25208
In addition, I think one of the backs on the two facing seats is fixed and bolt upright.You
View attachment 25209
You're just full of useful stuff, thanks!

And I spy a Metrolink train in there.

Thank you for all the advice. I have rebooked the roomette. I did have the roomettes on my FL trip in June & liked the roomette on the CL to DC. Looking forward to my circle trip!

Personally I would say absolutely yes to the California Zephyr during winter. And yes to the Southwest Chief back home. Don't forget the Coast Starlight south from Emeryville to Los Angeles. All three give you remarkable and diverse views of this nation's landscapes. The CZ travels some of the most stunning views of the Rocky Mountains all day long out of Denver. The Coast Starlight almost makes you want to step out right into the Pacific Ocean. The SWC takes through the hot and humid southwest. Keep in mind the Empire Builder is a gorgeous ride also across the northern tier of states bordering Canada back to Chicago. And you see some beautiful scenery from Emeryville north to Portland or Seattle. One last option would be the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle from LA to Chicago. That is Amtrak's longest route to/from Chicago. I have done all them over the years and hate having to detrain when I get home! Or you can put any of them on your bucket list for the future.

I only booked the FR due to my budget & so happy that I was able to rebook the roomette! i’m going to keep an eye on any price reduction. I’m a little anxious about being on the train for that long. My trip in June to FL was a overnight.

It looks like your hotel is in a good location however, it may not be walking distance at night with luggage.
That is very similar to my December 2019 trip and I think your routing is great. I stayed at Embassy Suites across the street from King Street Station in Seattle (which could not be more convenient - especially since there was rain the next day). Enjoy the trip!
I was able to change my reservation to the Embassy Suites. I feel very comfortable with all my plans! The end of March will be here before I know it! Hopefully, the surge will be over & things will get back to our new normal!

I’m wondering if I’ll enjoy being on the first level. I really enjoyed the roomette on the Silver Star. What are the chances of being booted upstairs to a roomette?
Room 15 is definitely the family room on the lower level. Regardless of whether you prefer upstairs or a roomette, I would consider being switched to a roomette a downgrade. Bucket for bucket, I'm sure the family room is more expensive that a roomette.

Well, it may not matter anymore! I just received notice that my reservation on coast Starlight has been cancelled! I spoke with a Amtrak rep & it’s up & running the next day On the 25th, which does not help me because my EB leaves at 440pm! Anyone out there with any suggestions? I just changed my reservation on my hotel To the Embassy Suites & don’t know if I can cancel!

Room 15 is definitely the family room on the lower level. Regardless of whether you prefer upstairs or a roomette, I would consider being switched to a roomette a downgrade. Bucket for bucket, I'm sure the family room is more expensive that a roomette.
At the time I booked, it the family bedroom was the cheapest on all my reservations. It was months later that the roomette, which I preferred, became cheaper & I modified my reservations!

Phew, what a day! I contacted Amtrak & was able to change everything to a day later. After all that, I had to contact the Embassy Suites in Seattle to change my reservation to one day later & they were very accommodating.

Can you reschedule your EB/CL return by a day? I would hope that Amtrak would give you the same price since they cancelled the CS. The folks at the AGR CSC have always been very accommodating to me. I think the only other alternative would be to fly SAC-SEA. Maybe Amtrak would pay for it as it allows you to keep the rest of your itinerary rather than cancel it at their potential loss if they can't re-sell your room. Not probable, but it might be worth a try. As my dad used to say, "You won't catch any fish if your line ain't in the water."

Oops! You posted your successful solution while I was typing mine. Congratulations!

Thank you! So many scenarios went thru my mind. Now, I’m in the process of changing room assignments. I was successful with the most important, the CZ! I was back downstairs which I’m not comfortable with. Now, I just have to change the CS, room#12. Like you said, Amtrak was very accommodating! She told me to keep calling & checking if anyone cancels!

Back