3 Adults in the Family Bedroom for a Daytrip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
We are taking a trip from Emeryville to Truckee and were thinking that it would be nice to do it in the Family Bedroom on the CZ. Bedroom fares are through the roof. Roomettes wouldn't give us enough space to hang out together.

Has anyone had any luck booking three adults in a Family Room lately? I see posts from years ago saying that some people had luck with it. Perhaps I could book online for two people and then add an open-sleeper ticket to the reservation? I want to make it as simple as possible though...

Thanks for any tips. I'm worried fares will be increasing since there are so few Family Bedrooms and the Amtrak phone number is currently not working.

Call. The website will not allow you to book more than the "recommended" capacity of two adults, but an agent can book the "maximum" capacity of three adults. You'd have to call for an open sleeper ticket anyway, those can't be booked on the website.

Has anyone had any luck booking three adults in a Family Room lately? I see posts from years ago saying that some people had luck with it. Perhaps I could book online for two people and then add an open-sleeper ticket to the reservation? I want to make it as simple as possible though...
To the best of my knowledge the occupancy rules have not changed but be aware that call center staff may be less equipped to handle such requests than in the past. You may need to ask for a supervisor, request the "day use" option, and/or confirm you will accept cramped quarters to book three adults.

Thanks for the replies. I will call in the morning. I wasn't sure if the family room occupancy was different than the bedroom occupancy. The price difference would be hundreds of dollars for this short trip, so I appreciate knowing that it's worth pushing a little on the phone me to get it booked.

Forgive the brief diversion from the OPs question, but what is the day use option? Though I've never done it for a group of three, I've booked sleeper rooms for just a day trip several times online, with no special modifers. What's unique about a "day use" booking?
The difference is higher occupancy is allowed for day use bookings than what is limited by bed capacity for overnight travel.

"Day use" technically is (was?) "Non-berth" service, as it didn't have restrictions on duration or time of day. Basically boiled down to "you can maybe have more people in the room if you agree to not use the beds". This (along with the room capacity limits) was once described in the Service Standards Manual, but has been removed.

Right you are, thanks!

Here is what you can stuff into a family bedroom if you call:
1641302176432.png

And here is what is says about non-berth service:
1641302262231.png

It does not appear that the capacity of the Family Bedroom changes in non-berth service: (Thanks Joe for pointing out the adult capacity goes from 3 to 5 in non-berth service)
1641302319314.png

For completeness, here are the berth service tables for roomettes and bedrooms:
1641302412194.png

Last edited:
I agree, $135 per person each way seems steep, but when you consider free meals, the opportunity to party along the way, incredible views away from the freeway, and worry-free transport, I'd choose it over the bus anytime. (I guess the only worry might be the return CZ being inordinately late in arriving Truckee.)

I'd choose it over the bus anytime. (I guess the only worry might be the return CZ being inordinately late in arriving Truckee.)
Yeah the westbound CZ has been a major problem as of late, but we're all good at killing time and are all inordinately lucky. My partner and I just did a trip OKJ-LAX-AQU-LAX-OKJ over the holidays and three of the four trains were *early* to their destination, despite all of the storms. Hopefully that didn't use up our luck!

I agree, $135 per person each way seems steep, but when you consider free meals, the opportunity to party along the way, incredible views away from the freeway, and worry-free transport, I'd choose it over the bus anytime. (I guess the only worry might be the return CZ being inordinately late in arriving Truckee.)
Also you don't need to wear a mask in your room.

Back