3 Days of Food?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably should figure to eat a couple meals in the dining car, both for the experience and to cover at least a couple of meals. Breakfast is the most reasonable.

The train doesn't leave DC until 4:05, eat something before you board and just bring snacks that evening.
From the 23 hours the original poster said, they are probably booked on the Cardinal which leaves earlier.

Here's the Capitol Limited dining car menu and prices: https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/160/906/Capitol-Limted-Dining-Car-Menu-1115.pdf

I believe the Empire Builder is probably the same but the Cardinal is slightly different.

You probably should figure to eat a couple meals in the dining car, both for the experience and to cover at least a couple of meals. Breakfast is the most reasonable.

You also have a lot of time in Chicago to eat lunch. There are a lot of great food options really close to Union Station (me, I'm a fan of Al's Italian Beef, a block west of the station). An option I just thought of is to get a big pizza from Giordanos have some for lunch and take the rest on the train to eat cold and take care of lunch/dinner that day (I like cold pizza myself).
I second the recommendation of Giordano's!

So just bring what you, and more importantly, your kids, like. Fruit, cheeses, snack crackers maybe some lunch meat.
I'd be worried about the meat and cheese after a day or two.
When backpacking for, say, a week without "civilization," I've carried summer sausage and cheddar cheese for mid-day no-cook snacks. No refrigeration of course. The sausage did fine, the cheese got a little oily in hot weather but edible. The key is to buy just before eating, watching that expiration dates are well into the future, and packing in ziploc bags that you squeeze most of the air from before re-sealing.

For lunch, I'd suggest those cup-of-soup single serve packages with the hot water they will give you (in their cup). When I used to travel in coach it was always a problem because I traveled alone and wanted to carry as little as possible. I found that things like crackers and Toaster Pops were all broken by the time I wanted to eat them. Cans of tuna were ok, but let's face it; fish can smell fishy to the rest of the passengers. A loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter would work.

Cereal and dried milk with added water for breakfast.

Now if you are able to take a cooler with you, that's a different story. I have traveled a few days with a cooler packed with ice. I would bake a turkey before I left, cut it up and put some in the freezer for when I got home. Some would go in the cooler. I made turkey sandwiches with mayo and pickles for a few days. That would get you to Chicago, at which time you would have to replenish your supply of food and ice. From there, someone could go to Whole Foods and see what's available there. I've never been in a Whole Foods, so I don't know what they have, but it would seem there would be other stores than just Whole Foods...does anyone here know?

That $3 Florida Wine definitely is not from Trump Winery!
Right, Jim.

If it came from Trump Winery, it would probably be $33. The name improves the quality, according to some terrifically HUGE wine experts.

For the most part, the best suggestions are on this third page. Bring things that will not spoil easily, and things like Cup O Soup, that can be reconstituted with hot water (free from the lounge). Your own tea bags or hot chocolate or coffee singles or powdered apple cider can be used with free hot water from the lounge. REMEMBER THAT THE LOUNGE ATTENDANT WILL HAVE TO CHARGE YOU FOR CUPS BECAUSE THAT'S HOW AMTRAK'S ACCOUNTING SYSTEM WORKS. If you bring your own cups, you will have no trouble. Tipping the LSA for this courtesy would be a nice gesture, and still a lot cheaper than buying on board. Also bring your own plastic knives, forks, & spoons because the supply in the lounge might be limited. Also, don't forget to bring your own can opener if you think you'll need one. Napkins should be available. If they run short, paper towels from the restrooms can be used in a pinch.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
That would get you to Chicago, at which time you would have to replenish your supply of food and ice. From there, someone could go to Whole Foods and see what's available there. I've never been in a Whole Foods, so I don't know what they have, but it would seem there would be other stores than just Whole Foods...does anyone here know?
Or Marianos, just down the block (on Halsted, a short walk west of Union Station) which might have some good freshly made options for lunch or dinner that you can bring aboard, which would be better and more cost effective than anything available on the train.

I've brought a box of (plastic encased) muffins (or other pastries) aboard for breakfast, along with big bottle of my favorite juice, and some better quality disposable plastic cups.

That $3 wine isn't bad. It tastes fine to me. Years ago Amtrak used to have a Happy Hour. $2. It was in the sightseer car and was quite popular. They also served complimentary snacks. Nice perk. Sadly,all of those extra touches Amtrak gave are gone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back