30 (17-18) is really late

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We left Chicago about an hour and a half late because 29 came in late. Then we waited a few minutes because 6 came in really late too, and they held for connecting passengers. After that, we made pretty good time through the night until we were a mile from the Pittsburgh station. Stopped dead on the tracks because of a diagnostic code involving brake faults. After some back and forth, NS sending a freight locomotive to pull us. Should be here soon, but who knows when we'll get into DC.

Looks like the rescue locomotive has arrived. Now it has to switch to our track, tie on, and do brake tests and such. Passengers connecting to 42 will be bussed to Harrisburg, Elizabethtown and Lancaster, the rest are going to DC and will get a ride up the NEC.

My connection in DC was from 30 to 91, which clearly I will not make. After long conversations with an AGR agent (and she with her supervisor) and with a CR agent (and she with her supervisor), I was able to switch my reservation from 91 to 97 at no additional charge. I know a freight engine will be slower, so now I hope I do not miss 97.

Sorry for your troubles, and I hope you make the transfer. Your locomotive is over 20 years old, closer to 25, with a lot of miles, probably more miles than its freight cousin it based off of with less than stellar maintenance. The fact the Gennies are still doing transcons, running 79-90 mph after all of these years is incredible. Good GE, good job.

Again, sorry for your delay and I hope Amtrak compensates you for it.

Well it shouldn't be too much slower because there is very little 70 + track between PGH and WAS. So you shouldn't lose too much time because of that. I'm assuming seeing 29 yesterday into Chicago had a locomotive problem that they didn't take the power off of it in Chicago.

Well it shouldn't be too much slower because there is very little 70 + track between PGH and WAS. So you shouldn't lose too much time because of that. I'm assuming seeing 29 yesterday into Chicago had a locomotive problem that they didn't take the power off of it in Chicago.
According to Kevin, who was on 29 yesterday, it is a different engine on 30 that there was on 29 yesterday. Our failed engine is 11.IMG_7240.jpgIMG_7239.jpg

According to Kevin, who was on 29 yesterday, it is a different engine on 30 that there was on 29 yesterday. Our failed engine is 11.View attachment 25020View attachment 25021
and it was a pretty beat up looking engine, too. I'm insulted that just because we on 29 are willing to endure flex meals, Amtrak thinks so little of us that we got such a beat up piece of junk locomotive. :)

1634597439728.png

Wow, almost missed 97. Hopefully there's no confusion in the station and you can make it.

It looked like 97 was across the platform. I hope Penny got on board and is on her way to the south.

As for me, by the time I got to the lounge, it was 7:06, so I missed the 7:05. Oh well. The lounge attendant tried to sell me on going home on MARC, and applying for a refund. Why should I want to take a train with loysy luggage storage that leaves at 8 and gets in at 9 when I could take the Palmetto at 8:30 and get into Baltimore at 9:12 or whatever...and I get luggage racks and Amfleet 2 LD reclining seats?

Anyway here I am in the lounge. Union Station is a bit lonely at 7:15 pm. It wasn't like that pre pandemic.

20211018_192046.jpg

20211018_192310.jpg

There was somebody who missed a southboubd to Woodbridge Virginia. Thwy were hoping for them to put her up for the night. Seems like it wouls be cheaper for Amtrak to pay for a cab or Uber to take them home.

Looks like customer service was getting a bit of business, anyway. I guess I'll send an email to Customer Relations in hope of a voucher. I think a 6 hour delay is sufficient cause.

20211018_192216.jpg i.p.o

Last edited:
I made my connection - cross platform. I did not have time to print my new ticket, but it was on my phone and I was in the system. My SCA is someone I know (who also asked about Dick) and the cafe attendant is also someone I have known for years.

I am in the sleeper lounge now having my dinner of wine and brownie. (dinner of champions?)
IMG_7268.jpg

and it was a pretty beat up looking engine, too. I'm insulted that just because we on 29 are willing to endure flex meals, Amtrak thinks so little of us that we got such a beat up piece of junk locomotive. :)

Those P42s have been through some stuff! It's my favorite engine as they've safely pulled me to every city in the country that I wanted to see, but I think at this point Amtrak should retire them and get new power. My guess is that the cost of maintaining the P42s is more than the cost of just getting new locos. This of course depends on government funding, but at some point it's better to buy new than to spend so much time and manpower maintaining the old and passengers enduring delays.

I was on a late 48 yesterday, and a passenger was calling someone complaining about how could there be engine trouble, he had seen in Albany that it was a brand new engine. I had photographed it two minutes earlier and it was a good old P42.

Back