30 % and 50 % Bonus Offers in 2012

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many times did AGR offer the 30% bonus in 2012? Did AGR ever offer a 50% bonus in 2012? Who held out until December 31st waiting for a 50% bonus last year and settled for the 30% at the last minute?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 30% bonus I believe happened 3 times in 2012 and twice in 2011. The 50% bonus happened in 2011, and that was the FIRST and only time it did happen! I would not count on it happening again. (I'm not saying it couldn't, but I do not expect it.)

i'm not betting a 30% bonus would again be repeated after the current offer expires. I'd settle for a 30% bonus than a -0-% bonus later on, but that's just my opinion.

I waited because I needed points for a trip this year and waited to see if I would need to buy points. I will hold out this year and see what happens because I am not planning any big trips.

For the traveler, what makes you think they won't offer another bonus later in the year? I can see your point about not having another 50% bonus, but I can see another 30% bonus at the end or the year and/or around national train day.

After they changed the redemption levels AGR would need to give us a 50% bonus just to equal what a 30% bonus was previously worth.
You do realize that the award costs of 1, 2 and 3 zone coach and roomettes did not increase AT ALL. Only bedrooms and other awards increased. I can still go coast to coast in a Roomette for 35K.

For the traveler, what makes you think they won't offer another bonus later in the year? I can see your point about not having another 50% bonus, but I can see another 30% bonus at the end or the year and/or around national train day.
I'm not saying there will or will not be one. All I said was I'd rather have a 30% bonus than a -0-% bonus.

I also waited until December. Whatever sales Amtrak runs in 2013, I hope they at least advertise the last one as "the last one!" of 2013. I assume that's why they offer it in December, so those of us waiting until the last minute actually have a chance to buy in with some kind of discount.

After they changed the redemption levels AGR would need to give us a 50% bonus just to equal what a 30% bonus was previously worth.
You do realize that the award costs of 1, 2 and 3 zone coach and roomettes did not increase AT ALL. Only bedrooms and other awards increased. I can still go coast to coast in a Roomette for 35K.
Yes, I am aware of that. Did you really need to CAPITALIZE, bold, and underline it?

I usually jump in right from the go when a 30% Bonus comes up and bank the 3,000 extra Points, figuring while an extra 2,000 is a nice benefit it is not worth risking losing the whole Bonus pot trying to sweat out if a 50% Bonus will come along.

I am glad I wasn't the only one who waited until the very last to buy my points! I just knew they would do a 50% bonus for Christmas, but alas I had to gratefully settle for the 30% . I did however clean up nicely with the 5x bonus at Thanksgiving topping my account up very nicely for now, so I think I will hold out again for myself, but I will buy the max for my wifes AGR account so I don't feel totally screwed if they don't offer it again this year.

I didn't purchase points this past year, as I was more than happy with the fact I got nearly 20k points PLUS several pairs of shoes for the same amount of money by using the

Thanksgiving special (70 points per dollar) via shoebuy/AGR shopping portal. I predict they offer the 30% bonus every single time in 2013 that they run the points promo.

Back