30% point bonus when you buy points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXEagle

Service Attendant
I've never bought points from Amtrak before, but I know they sometimes have promotions where you get bonus points with your purchase. Right now, they're having a promotion where you can earn a 30% bonus. Is this about the best that they every offer? I'm considering purchasing them, but I don't want to be disappointed if they offer a better deal later in 2011.

I've never bought points from Amtrak before, but I know they sometimes have promotions where you get bonus points with your purchase. Right now, they're having a promotion where you can earn a 30% bonus. Is this about the best that they every offer? I'm considering purchasing them, but I don't want to be disappointed if they offer a better deal later in 2011.
That's the best I've ever seen.

The 30% deal is a good one and is the best Amtrak has offered in recent years I believe. I just bought 10,000+3,000 for me and another 10,000+ 3,000 for my wife. :lol: That is close to a 1 zone roommette for $275. Such a deal!!! :lol:

They sometimes put the offer on twice in a year but since this one was later than the usual spring offer, they may not offer it again this calendar year. Better get it now if you can afford it. :)

I have never seen a bonus offer higher than the 30% offered right now!
smile.gif
Buy ASAP - if not sooner!
laugh.gif

A few weeks ago, I bought the max (10K + 3K). All 13K were posted to my account by the time I signed out and then logged back in to my AGR account!
biggrin.gif

I bought 10,000 points right before this offer started :( . I'm thinking about buying 10,000 (+3000) on my wife's account, but it would cost $130 to transfer those to my account so we could use them (she has zero balance). $275 + $130 = $405 for 13,000 points is a lot. Wait, maybe she can buy them for me - it looks like there's no charge for that? I don't see a non-household loophole, or anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, maybe she can buy them for me - it looks like there's no charge for that? I don't see a non-household loophole, or anything like that.
Actually there is!
sad.gif

A member can buy OR receive up to 10K per year. (If she bought 2k for you, your limit for the rest of the year would be 8K!) However, there is no limit on transfers! (The transfer fee is the "gotcha"!)

Thanks for the helpful information... I'll definitely take advantage of the offer now! Since I've never lived in the NEC, almost all of my trips are LD sleeper trips. I've been able to pay for all but one of my 7 sleeper trips with points because of the AGR credit card, partner offers, Continental OnePass transfers, and the like. The 30% bonus will definitely help towards the next trip I take!

Back