4 European countries in 7 days ~ 11 trains & 2 ferries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Here is a basic photo record of this journey, not a 'real' trip report. Names have been changed to protect the innocent...

Correction... 12 trains

First stage ~ Moulins sur Allier, France -> Geneve, Switzerland - Sunday 5 September 2021

Departed from here, although photo taken at the end of the journey
N2972a.jpg

Modern regional TER train, horribly uncomfortable
N2867a.jpg

Seats look good though
N2869a.jpg

Country town Paray le Monial. Station a little neglected due to lack of traffic or Covid?
N2872a.jpg

Lyon major French city where we make our first train transfer. Also a little neglected which was a surprise as it's a very busy station - same day
N2873a.jpg

N2874a.jpg

Older TER Inter City from Lyon Part Dieu to Geneve main station
N2875a.jpg

Only seatback in front is in focus (sorry), but it gives a picture of the older style interior. Pretty comfortable too.
N2876a.jpg

Amberieu, France near the Swiss border. Pretty small town station which looked well cared for.
N2879a.jpg

Geneve, Switzerland. Next we transfer to an ICE train - same day
s64452a.jpg

Last edited:
Second stage ~ Geneve, Switzerland -> Kusnacht ZH, Switzerland - Sunday 5 September 2021

Lac Leman (Geneve) close to the train station
N2881a.jpg

Geneve, elegant lake Ferry
s64427a.jpg

In the distance the massive Jet d'Eau
.s64429a.jpg

s64431a.jpg

Beautiful Italian style lake launch
s64437a.jpg

Geneve main station, busy for a Sunday afternoon
s64453a.jpg

Our 3rd train of the day, Swiss ICE from Geneve to Zurich. Seating ok but no air circulation working. Warm day and this double decker left Geneve about 80% full. Warm and humid until we reached Bern when about half the passengers got off, followed by the train filling completely for the remainder of the journey to Zurich. The heat and humidity making things very unpleasant on the upper deck, on top of which with no air circulation the Covid situation springs to mind. Relieved to reach Zurich and leave the train. Of course it may only have affected the car we were in, or the whole train?
N2886a.jpg

Lac Leman, was far more beautiful than this photo shows
N2889a.jpg

Arriving at the enormous Zurich HBF probably on level 2, thought we had arrived in a Mall
N2890a.jpg

Should be on level 3 now, watching our local train (#4 for the day) weave it's way down the slope to take us a short way down the Zurichsee to Kusnacht ZH. We stay here for 2 nights, and 1 day before heading into Austria.
N2893a.jpg

Last edited:
You didn't stay overnight in Geneva?

No we didn't although it's an attractive bustling and cosmopolitan city. We were headed to Zurich to meet up with friends we hadn't seen for 18 years, people are a bigger draw for us these days.

Why do you ask?

No we didn't although it's an attractive bustling and cosmopolitan city. We were headed to Zurich to meet up with friends we hadn't seen for 18 years, people are a bigger draw for us these days.

Why do you ask?
I'm planning an early 2022 Europe trip, since it's looking a little more practical than the US right now, and was looking for a hotel option near the HBF. (I'd love to do the Schweizerhof, but the budget disagrees.) We're hoping to cash in some airline points that have been stagnant during the pandemic and do trains between Frankfurt and Milan.

Enjoying your report and tagging along vicariously.;)

Yes Geneve is known to be tres expensive, so why not a hotel outside the city along the lake rail line and train in for the day? For such a large lake it is very very beautiful.

Later in this trip we visit Munich, our 3rd or 4th visit. That is a hidden gem of a place to wander or even to live. Not so many traditional sights but has just about everything in else bucket loads, one of the places in the world we could live, and a great rail station too.

Sounds like a good plan that you have there, all the 4 countries we visited came across as handling Covid in a grown up manner, we felt comfortable almost everywhere.

Third section ~ Zürichsee, Switzerland... a day on and by the lake - Monday 6 September 2021

Kusnacht ferry pier, looking towards Zurich
s64465a.jpg

Ferry arriving
s64467a.jpg

Beautiful day, beautiful lake
s64471a.jpg

Switzerland has a very integrated transport system. Western lake rail line for international and intercity trains. Eastern rail line for local trains. Stations on both sides connected either by the passenger ferry or the vehicle ferry.
s64473a.jpg

Another pier, another rail station west side
s64480a.jpg

In lively discussion with our friends, the ballerina and the professor. What a way to spend a day, in great company, cruising a lovely lake in beautiful weather. And to top it all mountains rising in the distance.
s64489a.jpg

Rail station at the bottom of the lake, Rapperswil. Photo taken after stepping off the ferry pier. From here we returned to Kusnacht by train.
s64501a.jpg

From the train at Uetikon station (east side) looking across the lake
s64510a.jpg

Local train, east side
s64513a.jpg

This ordinary looking platform has a downwards ramp at the far end, a little like Alice's rabbit hole. Down the ramp, 30 yards and up another ramp will bring you out into a street of elegant houses. Our friends live just along from the rabbit hole. We used this station 3 times and each time we thought it felt as though they have their own personal railway station, it was that close. 50 yards to the left of the platforms is the ferry pier, the lake shore is accessed by another tunnel. If you enjoy using public transport this is an amazing place to live. s64516a.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Switzerland has a very integrated transport system. Western lake rail line for international and intercity trains. Eastern rail line for local trains. Stations on both sides connected either by the passenger ferry or the vehicle ferry.
If ever there was a place where a car is unnecessary, it’s Switzerland. We stayed in Lucerne several years ago as a mid trip rest and recover spot. Absolutely loved that it was so easy to take day trips combining rail, bus, ferry. Enjoyed the transport museum there while my wife had a lazy day. Thanks for your excellent trip report.

Later in this trip we visit Munich, our 3rd or 4th visit. That is a hidden gem of a place to wander or even to live. Not so many traditional sights but has just about everything in else bucket loads, one of the places in the world we could live, and a great rail station too.
It's my dream to live in Munich eventually, my favorite city.

Fourth section ~ Kusnacht ZH, Switzerland -> Jenbach, Austria on 6th & 7th trains of the trip, then up to Achensee, Austria - Tuesday 7 September 2021

Local train from Kusnacht ZH to Zurich HBF brought us to a lower level of Zurich HBF. Our first sight of the upper level was the large departure board, quite impressive.
s64526a.jpg

A pair of regional trains
s64532a.jpg

There is obviously a full renovation of the original section of the station being undertaken, modern facilities do their best to hide most of what must be a classical exterior.
s64533a.jpg

The original train hall? empty and awaiting renovation. Current upper level platforms at the far end of the hall.
s64539a.jpg

Zurich HBF main concourse from the east side entrance. Note: 44 platforms.
s64541a.jpg

Train backing in, not many waiting to board. Destination is Graz, Austria.
s64547a.jpg

Swiss SBB sight-seeing car as part of the consist
s64548a.jpg

Near the Swiss - Austrian border
s64549a.jpg

In the Austrian Tyrol
s64553a.jpg

We were collected at Jenbach, Austria station by friends from Germany and brought to this chalet at Achensee at the upper end of the lake, our home for the next 3 days. (Jenbach is near the lower end of the lake).
We are here only because Klaus and Annette had written early in the year they were taking a week's holiday at Achensee and would we like to pop over to see them, seemed like a nice idea.
Klaus and I worked together in the German Ruhr for a year when we were 21 years old, he then moved to Berlin for 12 years and we lost sight of each other for 35 years. We now meet up as often as is practical, and Achensee is certainly a great place to have a reunion.
N2918a.jpg

To be continued...

Fourth section ~ Kusnacht ZH, Switzerland -> Jenbach, Austria on 6th & 7th trains of the trip, then up to Achensee, Austria - Tuesday 7 September 2021

Local train from Kusnacht ZH to Zurich HBF brought us to a lower level of Zurich HBF. Our first sight of the upper level was the large departure board, quite impressive.
View attachment 24421

A pair of regional trains
View attachment 24422

There is obviously a full renovation of the original section of the station being undertaken, modern facilities do their best to hide most of what must be a classical exterior.
View attachment 24423

The original train hall? empty and awaiting renovation. Current upper level platforms at the far end of the hall.
View attachment 24424

Zurich HBF main concourse from the east side entrance. Note: 44 platforms.
View attachment 24425

Train backing in, not many waiting to board. Destination is Graz, Austria.
View attachment 24427

Swiss SBB sight-seeing car as part of the consist
View attachment 24428

Near the Swiss - Austrian border
View attachment 24429

In the Austrian Tyrol
View attachment 24430

We were collected at Jenbach, Austria station by friends from Germany and brought to this chalet at Achensee at the upper end of the lake, our home for the next 3 days. (Jenbach is near the lower end of the lake).
We are here only because Klaus and Annette had written early in the year they were taking a week's holiday at Achensee and would we like to pop over to see them, seemed like a nice idea.
Klaus and I worked together in the German Ruhr for a year when we were 21 years old, he then moved to Berlin for 12 years and we lost sight of each other for 35 years. We now meet up as often as is practical, and Achensee is certainly a great place to have a reunion.
View attachment 24431

To be continued...
Wonderful trip Jamie, we're envious!

Wonderful trip Jamie, we're envious!

It was, and we are very lucky to have the friends and opportunity to follow our dreams. I bet you can guess how much we would give to be able to visit the US again, life isn't always perfect but still pretty good all the same.

Is there a chance you will go to the Gathering? Good to hear from you Jim.

Fifth section ~ Achensee, Austria for 3 days - Tuesday 7 to Friday 10 September 2021

Wednesday 8 September, a lot of catching up with our friends, walking, eating and a little drinking.

View from our balcony before the sun rose over the mountains.
s64559a.jpg

An hour later looking towards the top of the lake. Achensee appears more fjord like than the Zurichsee, the colour of the water is almost turquoise in places too.
s64564a.jpg

The top of the lake where the river enters Achensee. The lake ferry in the distance is just leaving to head south
s64581a.jpg

While Rosie was having a nap, I am starting to research a future travel project with a view and a cup of tea.
s64587a.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
It was, and we are very lucky to have the friends and opportunity to follow our dreams. I bet you can guess how much we would give to be able to visit the US again, life isn't always perfect but still pretty good all the same.

Is there a chance you will go to the Gathering? Good to hear from you Jim.
Thanks, you surely are correct about friends and following your dreams.

I'm sorry yall can't be here this year, but as Scarlett O'HARA would say, 2022 is a New Year!

For several reasons, I will NOT be going to Chicago including Work,Family,Medical and COVID, as Chicago won't be much fun with its Restrictions and so many places closed and lots of friends like yall not being there the Sad State of the Texas Eaglet @ insane prices for what's on offer.

I was lucky to make the trips I made earlier in the year before COVID once again as in reared its ugly head!

I have received my Booster Shot of Pzifer and also the Senior Flu Shot as they're predicting a Big Flu Season here.

I have a good friend ( a young woman) who I worked with, that just moved to London to marry a Frenchman and start her new life.

Lovely pictures, best to Rosie, I really like the Pic with your feet up while you drink a cup of tea!😎

Oh, my, so beautiful. I recognized your photo of Lac Leman from the slope above, over the vineyards. When I was in college, I stayed some time with a family at Yverdon. I saw that view as the train climbed up the slope above Lausanne (on a different rail line). That was the year I really learned to speak French, after eight years of studying it. There is a big difference between mental translation, and thinking in a language. I knew I had arrived when I began to *dream* in French! Your photos are taking me back to Europe, and making me want to travel again (in my dreams...).

A nice varied travel report, it looks like you had some very good weather too. Any tips on which websites to book travel tickets? I can't quite read the title of your "feet up" next trip planning book, where are you thinking of next?

A nice varied travel report, it looks like you had some very good weather too. Any tips on which websites to book travel tickets? I can't quite read the title of your "feet up" next trip planning book, where are you thinking of next?

Thanks Ed, we did get lucky with the weather.

Not really any tips only that I use Trainline to gain an idea of what is possible within the UK and Europe but usually their charges make them less than competitive.

The other almost pan Europe company is Rail Europe which has also taken over French SNCF ticketing (I think they are owned by SNCF). The site is ok but not the best and their ticketing outside France is clunky to be polite, useless on some occassion would also fit. They also load base fares with fees too like Trainline, and like Trainline do not always show all available departures and routes. Through some of Europe DB works very well, and are well priced too. Excellent website and the finished tickets are good too with proper information.
OBB (Austrian Railways) are excellent for sleeper trains, they are the current European leader in them. Their website takes a little getting used to but works when you get the hang of it.
Swiss Rail SBB website is ok, not as good as the trains they run though, but not bad.

At the start of a search I look at one or all of the companies who cover more than one country first, then go into the national rail company website to compare the overview I have. Usually best price, information and good ticketing is supplied by the national company, although where available I use DB increasingly as a combination of price coupled with info and good ticketing.

'Around the world in 80 days' by Michael Palin is the book, I now have 3 versions of the Jules Verne book plus 3 films too.

Last year we had a fully planned and part booked round the world on public transport journey, mainly through central Asia, China and eastwards. It was due to start in autumn 2020, obviously Covid stopped that.
Not ones to give up we started to think of a route that was less off the beaten track, then re-watch the Palin 80 days travelogue. Bought the book of the documentary and realised there was much more about the journey in the book than the tv version, and then that each of the tv/film versions went to different places to the other and different to the original route as written by Verne.
So... we have a crazy idea of creating a different RTWIED but combining elements of the 4 different routes with our 2020 route but visiting mainly less remote countries or ones that haven't suffered so badly from Covid.

The plan could easily be 3 years before we start it mostly due to Covid, but will we want to try such an arduous journey in 3 years time, who knows? But we can dream, that's still allowed.

Next major trip is still shipping our camper to the US, maybe this time next year?

Bit of a long answer but hope it gives you an idea or two. I'll be contacting you for info too as India is high on the list of 80 days adventures. Trying to think of a simple name for such a journey and take some pressure off that the title creates. How about "Around the world in about 80 days, give or take, +/-"?

Fifth section ~ Achensee, Austria for 3 days - Tuesday 7 to Friday 10 September 2021

Thursday 9 September, a lake day. Achensee in beautiful weather ~ Part II

Still waiting for the ferry
s64606a.jpg

Nice looking ship
s64610a.jpg

Quite spacious inside
s64611a.jpg

View along the lake.
N2924a.jpg

Ferry continues without us as we disembark at Pertisau at the southern end of the lake, This has been a resort for many many years and is now moved a long way upmarket. Beautiful setting with rugged mountains as a backdrop, just not our style.
s64619a.jpg

Rosie came here 50 years ago when it was a couple of hotels and a few farms, she was accompaning her maiden aunt. It was her first trip abroad and kick-started her love for travel and all things that were not like home. Rosie didn't remember that Pertisau was on lake Achensee (she was a teenager with other things on her mind) until a few weeks after we had booked our hotel. This photo is taken at the same spot her aunty took one of her, this is for aunty.
s64623a.jpg

Dramatic mountains behind Pertidsau
s64624a.jpg

Fabulous setting for a hotel
s64628a.jpg

We continue on another ferry later in the afternoon
s64647a.jpg

End to a very happy journey around the lake
s64666a.jpg

Tomorrow Friday 10 September we leave Klaus, Annette and Achensee, Austria for Munich, Germany. Only about 1hour 30 minutes by express train.
The Pension Seeblick was all we could wish for and friendly too. While we were getting ready to go out to dinner on Thursday evening Klaus was invited by the Czech couple in the next room to share some home made schnapps on the shared balcony. It was so nice he suggested Annette should try some too.
We were gone only 55 minutes and couldn't believe the transformation in such a short time, giggling was their main explanation as to what had happened. I had to drive their car as I'm not sure they would have been able to find it that alone drive it. Fun evening was had by all, and somehow lederhosen came into the conversation too...

To be continued...

Last edited:
Back