4 underused U.S. rail lines that should be revived

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgstubbs1

OBS Chief
I saw this article and I found it easy to understand because of the maps showing the routes.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90713249/4-underused-u-s-rail-lines-that-should-get-a-second-life

"New York City is crisscrossed with train tracks. Some of them, like the Rockaway Beach Branch, have sat abandoned for 50 years; others are majorly underused, only traveled by freight trains a few times a day. In the boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, in particular, an old track was recently thrust into the spotlight when New York Governor Kathy Hochul announced plans to revive an underused, 14-mile, right-of-way and build what she called the Interborough Express."

Interesting article, however, from the description of the North Shore Line, something seems amiss (I didn't think that it went north of Milwaukee). I'm sure Tim will chime in on that...

Interesting article, however, from the description of the North Shore Line, something seems amiss (I didn't think that it went north of Milwaukee). I'm sure Tim will chime in on that...
That portion of the article has various issues.
FastCompany said:
The interurban route, which stretched across 106 miles, linking the Chicago loop and downtown Milwaukee via Racine, Wisconsin, was partially brought back in 1963. But the 33-mile commuter line stretch, north of Milwaukee, never resumed.
The part that was brought back in 1963 was the Skokie Swift, now the Yellow Line, of the CTA. Nothing north of that has resumed passenger service. (I don't know if any railroad may have bought some portion of the CNS&M for de-electrified freight-only service). Also, KRM would not be a
FastCompany said:
revival of the North Shore Line
which, as I recall, would use existing Union Pacific (former Chicago and Northwestern) trackage rather than rebuilding the North Shore Line.

Back