$400 Million for Ohio Amtrak CLE-CIN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday (2/15/2010),
I'm guessing Amtrak could have run under the weather conditions. The I-71 closure was due to several multi-car accidents due to HEAVY snow.

Yet another reason for the Tri-C corridor.

Has a name been floated for this train? How about the Buckeye Limited?
Sounds appropriate since the Buckeyes are limited! How about the Longhorn Express! :lol: (Sorry about the snow, Spring will be there in about three months! :lol: ) All kidding aside glad yall are getting a train, were still barely limping along here in the Lone Star State! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday (2/15/2010),
I'm guessing Amtrak could have run under the weather conditions. The I-71 closure was due to several multi-car accidents due to HEAVY snow.

Sounds appropriate since the Buckeyes are limited! How about the Longhorn Express! :lol: (Sorry about the snow, Spring will be there in about three months! :lol: ) All kidding aside glad yall are getting a train, were still barely limping along here in the Lone Star State! :angry:
Here is another - the Buckeye Blured. That's because when it runs from north to south, it runs from a Blue state to a red state!

If the concept is an eventual high speed rail loop including Chicago, Indy, Cinci, Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo and in-between points, it makes no sense to not have at least twice daily connections between the new Ohio train at both end points.

My opinion is that this is the falacy of "state trains" that involve no interoperability across state borders. All it takes is one anti-rail state like Indiana to sabotage the whole plan. What would have happened if the interstate highway system had been built that way, with big gaps across economically challenged and backward poltically states? Actually, the way the I-highway system jump-started started was to connect the toll roads that the big rich liberal states already were building. The feds provided the national standards and 90% of the money to the rest.

So do you put a slow puddle jumper on between Cleveland Columbus and Cincinnati at times nobody needs to use it, hope an interstate grid will fall into place on top of it someday, or is it just better to have dedicated rush hour commuter operations at both ends and forget about the middle??

Either way, I would say 2012 is optimistic for any trains to run in Ohio, but I am all for it anyway.

Go Buckeyes!

Yesterday (2/15/2010), I-71 was closed just north of Columbus. I had two friends trapped in Columbus and they had to take a room overnight.

Or the Woody Hayes Express? :rolleyes:

Looks like some Ohio Republican are trying to put a stop to this train before it even gets started. I guess they consider the stimulus money coming has strings attached. Definitely a concern in a way, because Ohio will have to foot to operating bill at $17 million a year. Nevermind the fact that $17 million is less than 1% of Ohio budget for transportation. I wonder if having a projected ridership of 500,000 per year would offset that amount by less maintenance costs for the highways and less accidents to clean up for having that many less cars on the I-71.

Anyways, here's the article:

Despite Federal Investment, Ohio 3C Corridor Under Threat from State Republicansby Yonah Freemark | February 19th, 2010

Filed Under Amtrak | High-Speed Rail | Ohio

» Republicans on state board could overrule use of funds for new rail service between Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Of the corridors receiving multi-million dollar grants from the federal government last month for improved rail service, Ohio’s 3C line arguably provides the most bang for the buck. By 2012, at a cost of $400 million, the state will be able to reactivate passenger operations between Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati, via Dayton — a service that’s been out of commission for decades. It will provide the first trains to the state capital since 1977.
Rest of the article

After the $400 million the Feds have given the state of Ohio to start the 3-C corridor, it is not a for sure thing. All kinds of misinformation and rumors have swirled around regarding the service. Now it might come down to a committee where a "super majority" is needed to get the bill to go forward out of the legislature. A story in the local paper explains it and can be found at http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/2010...-train-proposal. If you do go to the page look at the comments. Ridiculous.

Voters won't stand for it... Ohio is cash-desperate, if the Feds are handing them a $400 million check then the GOP is asking for trouble if they're letting $17 million get in the way.

Back