448 train delayed 3+ hours

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MainerTrainer

Train Attendant
We’re on the 448 train today, 10/7. Boarded in Syracuse this morning, a little late. A bad storm with high winds came through Western Massachusetts this afternoon and downed a tree just short of Pittsfield. Finally got through the station, about a mile, then stopped again. Another train is westbound is held up by another tree and they’re blocking our track. We should be in Boston now.theyve opened up the cafe car for snacks for people (like us) in the sleeper car. We have a roomette and plenty of food, so we’re fine. We’ll probably be at least 4 hours late into Boston.

More trees down after Springfield, we’re told. So getting off in Springfield then busing to Boston. Probably 5 hours late.

Hopefully you got to see at least some of the fall color through the Berkshires! Don't forget to call or write to Amtrak to ask for some compensation for the downgrade in service. I wonder what they'll do with #449 tomorrow.

We definitely saw good color, in the sun, on the way out and some on the way back.

The bus was a mess, not socially distanced. I think there were people from another train on it as well. The bus wasn’t packed but it undid all the protocols Amtrak had on the train.

We got to South Station around 1am, 5 hours late. No idea about the 449 today.

The bus was a mess, not socially distanced. I think there were people from another train on it as well. The bus wasn’t packed but it undid all the protocols Amtrak had on the train.

Please call or write Amtrak Customer Relations to complain about this. They need to hear that when they promise "From booking with confidence to contact-free travel to physical distancing, we’re focused on making sure every step of your journey is safe and relaxing," passengers expect them to keep that promise. (The quote is from an Amtrak email I received this week, and the boldface is theirs, not mine.)

I had a similar bustitution experience last week. This is not an isolated misstep, and is beginning (to me at least) to look systemic.

Looks like yesterday's #49 didn't leave Albany until after midnight due to the same issue. Can't imagine the passengers out of New York were happy to wait so long in Albany.

edit: And it looks like today's #449 originated in Springfield.

Last edited:
We definitely saw good color, in the sun, on the way out and some on the way back.

We got to South Station around 1am, 5 hours late. No idea about the 449 today.
With regard to the bus, how was the mask situation? Someone else posted about his/her experience during a bustitution where the bus driver wasn't wearing a mask in addition to the lack of social distancing that you are reporting.

i wondered why the chicago bound LSL was rolling by after my kid started class, i ocld not get to the window fast enough to wave at it...(cleveland-about 6-10 minutes westbound before the amtrak station) - i can canada from my house... ;) ;)

Back