4th Silver Meteor Sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief
Is the Meteor getting a 4th sleeper? I’m booked in car 9813 this weekend. In past experience I’ve noticed the 3 sleepers are normally 9810-9812, so did the numbers change or did I get booked in an non existent sleeper?

Is the Meteor getting a 4th sleeper? I’m booked in car 9813 this weekend. In past experience I’ve noticed the 3 sleepers are normally 9810-9812, so did the numbers change or did I get booked in an non existent sleeper?
The Meteor occasionally gets a fourth Sleeper. Car 13 should be the fourth Sleeper. Long walk to the Diner
default_wink.png

The Meteor occasionally gets a fourth Sleeper. Car 13 should be the fourth Sleeper. Long walk to the Diner
default_wink.png
Well at least it's not as far if you were a coach passenger and had to walk all the way from the front of the first coach back to the diner.
default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran into this over Thanksgiving week as well (I was on the Meteor SB on the Sunday before Thanksgving and saw four sleepers, a diner, and a baggage car...all Viewliners...lined up. It was quite the sight). It used to be that you'd see three sleepers on each train at these times, but with the Star lacking a diner long-haul demand seems to have swung to the Meteor for obvious reasons.

I ran into this over Thanksgiving week as well (I was on the Meteor SB on the Sunday before Thanksgving and saw four sleepers, a diner, and a baggage car...all Viewliners...lined up. It was quite the sight). It used to be that you'd see three sleepers on each train at these times, but with the Star lacking a diner long-haul demand seems to have swung to the Meteor for obvious reasons.
There is no big shift in demand to the Meteor because of the dining car. The reality is Star sleepers are in higher demand with the lower fares. Comparing pre-diner and post-diner ridership, the Star is significantly up and the Meteor is slightly down. The Meteor still carries more overall sleeping car passengers because it operates 50% more capacity.

Why does the Meteor get the extra holiday sleeper? Assets are deployed where the greatest revenue potential is. Sleeper fares are about 30% higher on the Meteor. Would you want to carry 48 passengers for $9,000 revenue or 40 passengers earning $12,000? You would deploy the car to earn $12,000.

Yeah. I, who tends to travel on the Silver Service quite a bit, have noticed that in general it is a little harder to get Sleeper accommodation on the Star than on the Meteor, though the Star, if you can get anything, is a bit cheaper on an average. I should point out that my travels are more at the southern and central part of the Silver route (FL, GA, SC, NC), and not so much the northern part, i.e. VA and north.

As KL points out the SM has the biggest potential for revenue as the average distance a passenger travels is the greatest. 4 train sets for SM does exceed the LSL 3 train sets revenue. The Crescent wastes sleeper revenue south of Atlanta as only one sleeper is needed except when ? If ATL could handle cut off sleepers then the revenue from 3 sleepers needed may actually exceed the SM's revenue or at least = that revenue.

Paranoia kicked it, and was afraid I was booked in a phantom room and would have to spend the night in coach.
default_tongue.png

I guess being booked in the furthest sleeper from the diner is the price I pay for booking last minute, but also moving up my travel by 1 day saved $500 so I can't complain that much.

Back