#5 & #6 Late (7/9/19)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A coworker of mine and several of her friends are on the now very late #5 on their way to a convention in Provo. She had been intrigued by long distance train trips and convinced her group to take the CZ rather than flying. So of course this happened on her very first train trip. I wonder if she'll ever listen to a thing I say ever again! :eek:

Most long distance routes seem to have their "lateness issues" periodically. Coast Starlight used to be Coast Starlate and the Empire was horrible for a long time. My last 2 trips eastbound on the Chief and CZ have gotten me to Chicago reasonably on time. Will see how the EB does this Sept.

Josh,
I think you may need to go into witness protection before your friend gets back (if she does get back). It doesn't sound good:

https://www.klkntv.com/story/40760692/flooding-stalls-amtrak-trains-leaves-dozens-stuck-in-lincoln

That sucks to hear. Maybe if I do a different train west of Chicago as a long distance train trip anytime soon, maybe I shouldn't do the CZ right away till I'm sure flooding issues aren't affecting it's operations. And for now to consider TX Eagle, SW Chief, or EB instead. And as I remember earlier this year, hearing a report that at least one or 2 #6 trains had to skip a station stop in Burlington, due to high water levels. And that passengers were bussed getting off at Galesburg, back to Burlington.

Josh,
I think you may need to go into witness protection before your friend gets back (if she does get back). It doesn't sound good:

https://www.klkntv.com/story/40760692/flooding-stalls-amtrak-trains-leaves-dozens-stuck-in-lincoln

Indeed. I've been following their "adventure" from occasional social media posts. It sounds like almost everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. Washouts. Poorly timed crew changes. Issues with the host railways. The latest appears to be malfunctioning bathrooms. They and everyone else around them are livid, and (sadly, though I can hardly blame them at this point) they're all swearing off any future train travel.

Back