#5 Canceled (2/15/21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just checking train status on for train #5 was supposed to lv Monday 2/15/21 I got Train Canceled message. Any one know why? I am thinking this freak snowstorm, but trains operate when other modes of transportation can't. Other than train being canceled(obviously) what did that mean for the pax holding tickets? I had been scheduled to be on that train. But bc of the weather and an ailing wife I rescheduled for 2/21/21. This is a circuit trip chi-chi w no time off train except layover in sac and possible but doubtful in pdx. In pdx at best a run and jump on 28 or worse bus to spk or worse worse no connx for 3 days 🥴 Anywho this is a total pleasure trip to see snow no hurries or deadlines. On first leg of trip that was canceled, what do they do to passengers?

Train was initally delayed due to mechanical problems and was ultimately canceled due to the blizzard like conditions and BNSF closing down the Mendota sub. 3 made it out about 30 minutes but then had to return to the station. I was on 6 and we were already in the thick of the storm so they pushed us through behind a plow. 30 had mechanical issues and ultimately was held for our connections as we arrived around 8pm. I was connecting on 48 which was thankfully still sent out as well. I can't put into words the experience of going track speed through the white out conditions. You couldn't even see the tracks next to us anymore as it kept on dumping.

As for the passengers... there was a large line at both customer service and the Metropolitan Lounge from train 3 that was sent out and then sent back. From what I understood, they were giving out hotel vouchers for three nights and reaccomodating for the next scheduled departure on Thursday. For train 5 I assume it was similar with a new departure date of Wednesday. There has been very little East-West routing the past few days with the exception of 7/8. The last train 6 was truncated at Salt Lake City and trains 3 and 4 have been pretty much canceled all week. As much as I'd want to give a first hand account of what happens, I feel thankful to have made it across the county safely on 6(13) as the other two routes from California were canceled or truncated and 11/14 had a very rough time going north/south both taking 15-20 hour delays account of weather. 6 was the only one that made the trip and the connections in Chicago.

Wow, that sounds like a very harrowing experience but a positive experience at the same time. Glad it all turned out well for you. Thanks for the report and information. Maybe by Monday 2/22 it will be straightened out. I will be flying into ORD to make the trip out of CHI

I was supposed to take that 5 out to Glenwood Springs and then 6 back before heading home. Neither the 5 nor the 6 got anywhere, but I think I can go home Friday.

Back