5 in a Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I need to edit my original post b/c many of you are not realizing that we are not all going to be in the room at the same time as we ride along. They will only upgrade TWO of the FIVE passengers, thereby leaving at least a couple back in coach at any given time.

First it was 3 in a roomette and now 5! It won't work, but as my dad used to say when I proposed something ridiculous, "go ahead and try it, and let me know how you make out"! It reminds me of a friend who owned a U Store It facility and found a family of 8 living and cooking in their storage unit. When he informed them this was not allowed they said in all sincerity, "but we don't mind at all, we're very comfortable"! It really isn't whether you are willing to suffer or not it is about Amtrak guidelines. If this were allowed some folks would, no doubt, pack a roomette like a sardine can and take turns sleeping, showering or whatever, anything to keep from the discomforts of riding coach!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I need to edit my original post b/c many of you are not realizing that we are not all going to be in the room at the same time as we ride along. They will only upgrade TWO of the FIVE passengers, thereby leaving at least a couple back in coach at any given time.
Have you run the numbers for either family bedroom or 2 roomettes? With meals included, you may find that it is in your budget. I know others have their formulas, but this is what I would guess per day:

Adults - $50 x 2 = $100

Kids - $30 x 3 = $90

Total value of meals per day = $190

Of course, this all may be moot if you try for the on board upgrade.

It is certainly nice to have some private space when travelling with a toddler. Reclining one of the seats in a roomette makes a great changing table or spot for a toddler to nap.

If you can't afford the increased fare for a family room or second roomette, I'd recommend flying this trip (I know... sacrilege!) and saving for a future train trip when you can get a family room at low bucket.

Otherwise, try the one roomette plan (buy it now if at low bucket... there are no guarantees with onboard upgrades). Just be prepared to potentially have mommy and toddler enjoying the roomette while daddy and the girls are stuck in coach. You would certainly still be able to hang out in the lounge and get meal reservations together, but whether or not the coach crowd could "hang out" in the roomette would be dependent upon the mood/whims of the onboard crew. Good luck whichever route you take... hope your trip is enjoyable.

What I think I would do is call Amtrak, ask them if it's okay to book a roomette, but ASK if it would be okay to rotate the kids in & out of the roomette. I think they will say no, but you may be able to book you, or your spouse & the toddler in the roomette, & the other children in coach. I would then have you parents rotate in & out of the roomette, maybe with one of the kids from coach. I would not leave the other children unattended in coach. Remember when you book the roomette, you no longer have a coach seat. You could check with the Conductor or Sleeping Car Attendant about it. The roomette is going to be a tight squeeze, even with just the toddler at night. During the day, they could possibly play in upper bunk, but they will probably get tired of that fairly quick. There's no window up there in a Superliner. You could set up the bed on the lower, but then you would be facing away from the window. I think you would have better results on this with a bedroom if they will let you book it with all of you in there. At least it has the six foot couch & a chair. Hope you enjoy your trip! Maybe you will luck out and be able to do a onboard upgrade to a family room for cheap!

As a person who doesn't have kids, everything about this thread has me thinking, "I feel sorry for the people that are going to be beside this circus!" :huh: Shuttling kids in and out, small kids, fussy kids, a kid who doesn't want to go back to coach, one who needs his/her diapers changed, formula bottle rolling out in the hallway..........geesh........this doesn't sound like a "See America at Sea Level" but more like a family carnival. :blink:

Aloha

I am no expert on Amtrak ticketing, but here is my thoughts on what you should do.

Call Amtrak at 800 USA rail and ask for an agent, supervisor. reserve a roomette and 3 coach seats.

Then 1 adult can sit with the children in coach and 1 adult can sit /stay with a child in the roomette.

I would expect there would be no issues with trading off.

The best I would expect is 2 adult meals to be included with the roomette, and you would purchase meals for 3 at the child rates

Hope this works for you.

The bed is about 2 feet wide which is narrower than the twin size bed! It's the width of your sleeping bag on your camping trip. Even in night time configuration, it may not work for family of 5! Other choice to meet within your budget is having 2 or 3 people in a roomette and rest of them will stay in coach. Sacrifice is free meals for coach passengers, but you can bring your own food with you!

First it was 3 in a roomette and now 5! It won't work, but as my dad used to say when I proposed something ridiculous, "go ahead and try it, and let me know how you make out"! It reminds me of a friend who owned a U Store It facility and found a family of 8 living and cooking in their storage unit. When he informed them this was not allowed they said in all sincerity, "but we don't mind at all, we're very comfortable"! It really isn't whether you are willing to suffer or not it is about Amtrak guidelines. If this were allowed some folks would, no doubt, pack a roomette like a sardine can and take turns sleeping, showering or whatever, anything to keep from the discomforts of riding coach!
It isn't so much about discomfort of US - it's about the discomforts of being a parent in public. As you have already seen by some others, childless people think having a family means living like circus freaks. Whereas, it's actually very difficult to have a "well-behaved" toddler as one does not truly exist in nature. Those who have no family and scoff at others have simply forgotten that they themselves were once ill-behaved toddlers who soiled their pants and needed mommy to change them. :)

As I said, we are prepared for discomfort b/c we are used to putting childrens' needs ahead of our own (I'd much rather be on a bender in Mexico) this is for the comfort of the children and therefore, other passengers including and especially fellow coach passengers.

Have you run the numbers for either family bedroom or 2 roomettes? With meals included, you may find that it is in your budget. I know others have their formulas, but this is what I would guess per day:
Adults - $50 x 2 = $100

Kids - $30 x 3 = $90

Total value of meals per day = $190

Of course, this all may be moot if you try for the on board upgrade.
This is a good bit of info and I am going to try like the dickens to get a "suitable" upgrade onboard - I'm just preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Thanks for sharing your formula! (the lower buckets are all sold out for all rooms)

It is certainly nice to have some private space when travelling with a toddler. Reclining one of the seats in a roomette makes a great changing table or spot for a toddler to nap.
If you can't afford the increased fare for a family room or second roomette, I'd recommend flying this trip (I know... sacrilege!) and saving for a future train trip when you can get a family room at low bucket.

Otherwise, try the one roomette plan (buy it now if at low bucket... there are no guarantees with onboard upgrades). Just be prepared to potentially have mommy and toddler enjoying the roomette while daddy and the girls are stuck in coach. You would certainly still be able to hang out in the lounge and get meal reservations together, but whether or not the coach crowd could "hang out" in the roomette would be dependent upon the mood/whims of the onboard crew. Good luck whichever route you take... hope your trip is enjoyable.
That is the scenario I imagined totally (and I am still seriously considering flight especially with the majority of responses here - it reminds me of why I hate traveling) Thank you for your thoughtful response! :cool:

What I think I would do is call Amtrak, ask them if it's okay to book a roomette, but ASK if it would be okay to rotate the kids in & out of the roomette. I think they will say no, but you may be able to book you, or your spouse & the toddler in the roomette, & the other children in coach. I would then have you parents rotate in & out of the roomette, maybe with one of the kids from coach. I would not leave the other children unattended in coach. Remember when you book the roomette, you no longer have a coach seat. You could check with the Conductor or Sleeping Car Attendant about it. The roomette is going to be a tight squeeze, even with just the toddler at night. During the day, they could possibly play in upper bunk, but they will probably get tired of that fairly quick. There's no window up there in a Superliner. You could set up the bed on the lower, but then you would be facing away from the window. I think you would have better results on this with a bedroom if they will let you book it with all of you in there. At least it has the six foot couch & a chair. Hope you enjoy your trip! Maybe you will luck out and be able to do a onboard upgrade to a family room for cheap!
I totally hope this happens but I am not optimistic about the availability (or the cost).

Aloha
I am no expert on Amtrak ticketing, but here is my thoughts on what you should do.

Call Amtrak at 800 USA rail and ask for an agent, supervisor. reserve a roomette and 3 coach seats.

Then 1 adult can sit with the children in coach and 1 adult can sit /stay with a child in the roomette.

I would expect there would be no issues with trading off.

The best I would expect is 2 adult meals to be included with the roomette, and you would purchase meals for 3 at the child rates

Hope this works for you.

The bed is about 2 feet wide which is narrower than the twin size bed! It's the width of your sleeping bag on your camping trip. Even in night time configuration, it may not work for family of 5! Other choice to meet within your budget is having 2 or 3 people in a roomette and rest of them will stay in coach. Sacrifice is free meals for coach passengers, but you can bring your own food with you!
Yeah, I was thinking of packing most of the kids' meals and then taking our meals in the dining car (since we eat more than they do) and then getting a meal or two (if available) in the dining car, I thought they'd get a kick out of that. Thanks for your help!

And there ya go...

It's all about their wants and needs and no one else's. :rolleyes:

I'm especially glad now that I bit my tongue before. :)

Depending on how big the kids are, you might be able to do this: buy a roomette and three coach seats (five tickets). At night, put the two smallest kids in the upper berth and one of the adults in the lower berth; if that is too crowded for the kids, have them try the lower berth, it's a little bigger. The other adult can stay in coach with the third child, who can lay across two seats or on the floor.

Only two persons will get free meals and you will have to pay for meals for the other three. Obviously, those three should be the kids, who will presumably eat less expensively than adults. If you talk to the conductor and the attendant and make sure they understand and agree that you're not trying to 'work' the system, you might be able to do it.

As a final comment on the size of a roomette, when the seats are turned into the lower bed, there's barely enough floor to stand on with the door closed. Certainly there's no floor space to lie down and that includes under the lower berth -- its only six or nine inches off of the floor. And because the ceiling curves, there isn't much headroom in the upper berth.

Jeremy

I'm not going to tell you that it won't work, I think that with flexible "rotation schedules" and some creative thinking it in theory COULD work. However, please be aware that at any time a Sleeper Attendant, or Conductor (Conductors change shifts every 8 hours or so approx.... each Conductor has final authority on board the train) can insist that only passengers with an assigned or upgraded ticket are allowed access into the sleeper.

What I'm telling you is this.. be prepared for Amtrak crew to stick to the rules (which is what they are supposed to do). If you happen to get a crew that is patient and works with you, please be thankful and realize they are doing you a huge favor... they would be completely in the right if they said no.

I'm sorry, but your intentions are not "honorable". To request this type of treatment based on "your word" does not hack it. When you get your tickets, you will feel some justification for more than authorised, and some weak ------------ conductor may allow it. But if i"m next door. the complaint will be filed. Your kids will be running up/down the Isle and from what I've seen in the past, you won't be quiet. Do us a favor and take the Greyhound. Your request seems to want more than you are willing to pay for. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you jump ALL OVER this topic, let me add that 3 are small children. . .
This is the stupidest idea I've heard in a long time. :blink:

Not only won't it work, but you obviously have no respect or consideration for other passengers, both in coach and in the sleeping car, who would be forced to put up with your shenanigans. :angry:

I hope there are no Amtrak employees stupid enough to acquiesce.

Hey, maybe you can sneak a Showtime rotisserie oven in as well and cook all your meals in there.

Sheesh.

And there ya go...

Actually, what I said was - keeping small children contained IS for others. And they (the children) and other people's (fellow passengers) opinions matter more to me than your opinions about parenting do. You should be so lucky that I take my job seriously.

Depending on how big the kids are, you might be able to do this: buy a roomette and three coach seats (five tickets). At night, put the two smallest kids in the upper berth and one of the adults in the lower berth; if that is too crowded for the kids, have them try the lower berth, it's a little bigger. The other adult can stay in coach with the third child, who can lay across two seats or on the floor.
Only two persons will get free meals and you will have to pay for meals for the other three. Obviously, those three should be the kids, who will presumably eat less expensively than adults. If you talk to the conductor and the attendant and make sure they understand and agree that you're not trying to 'work' the system, you might be able to do it.

As a final comment on the size of a roomette, when the seats are turned into the lower bed, there's barely enough floor to stand on with the door closed. Certainly there's no floor space to lie down and that includes under the lower berth -- its only six or nine inches off of the floor. And because the ceiling curves, there isn't much headroom in the upper berth.

Jeremy
Excellent tips, thank you. This was my plan exactly (if we decide on Amtrak).

I'm not going to tell you that it won't work, I think that with flexible "rotation schedules" and some creative thinking it in theory COULD work. However, please be aware that at any time a Sleeper Attendant, or Conductor (Conductors change shifts every 8 hours or so approx.... each Conductor has final authority on board the train) can insist that only passengers with an assigned or upgraded ticket are allowed access into the sleeper.
What I'm telling you is this.. be prepared for Amtrak crew to stick to the rules (which is what they are supposed to do). If you happen to get a crew that is patient and works with you, please be thankful and realize they are doing you a huge favor... they would be completely in the right if they said no.
I am totally prepared for this and I agree!

I'm sorry, but your intentions are not "honorable". To request this type of treatment based on "your word" does not hack it. When you get your tickets, you will feel some justification for more than authorised, and some weak ------------ conductor may allow it. But if i"m next door. the complaint will be filed. Your kids will be running up/down the Isle and from what I've seen in the past, you won't be quiet. Do us a favor and take the Greyhound. Your request seems to want more than you are willing to pay for. Jim
Jim, I'm not sure what made you think I was trying to be "honorable" by keeping my toddler contained - I was simply replying to someone who suggested we were trying to avoid the "discomforts" of coach. And, since you took it upon yourself to presume, let me assure you my other two children are 10 and 8 and while very small for their age, they aren't running screaming toddlers. Also, if I'm paying for a sleeper, I'm not going to be getting (or expecting) more than authorized. Furthermore, if I upgrade my ticket and my husband's ticket and it includes our LAP child, guess where he will rightfully be? Complain all you want, they aren't going to do anything about a baby crying b/c you can't hear your scanner or enjoy your complimentary juice.

"From what I've seen in the past you won't be quiet" - ??? The past what? You mean in a thread that I started? Yeah, being quiet would be kind of counterproductive there. Your tone is insulting and so are your words. I clearly posted the other option would flying, so your obvious intentionally hateful remarks, especially with the Greyhound comment shows what kind of person you are.

Thank you to all the others who took the time to answer thoughtfully and honestly - your input is appreciated!

And there ya go...

Actually, what I said was - keeping small children contained IS for others. And they (the children) and other people's (fellow passengers) opinions matter more to me than your opinions about parenting do. You should be so lucky that I take my job seriously.

Jeremy
Excellent tips, thank you. This was my plan exactly (if we decide on Amtrak).

I am totally prepared for this and I agree!

Jim, I'm not sure what made you think I was trying to be "honorable" by keeping my toddler contained - I was simply replying to someone who suggested we were trying to avoid the "discomforts" of coach. And, since you took it upon yourself to presume, let me assure you my other two children are 10 and 8 and while very small for their age, they aren't running screaming toddlers. Also, if I'm paying for a sleeper, I'm not going to be getting (or expecting) more than authorized. Furthermore, if I upgrade my ticket and my husband's ticket and it includes our LAP child, guess where he will rightfully be? Complain all you want, they aren't going to do anything about a baby crying b/c you can't hear your scanner or enjoy your complimentary juice.

"From what I've seen in the past you won't be quiet" - ??? The past what? You mean in a thread that I started? Yeah, being quiet would be kind of counterproductive there. Your tone is insulting and so are your words. I clearly posted the other option would flying, so your obvious intentionally hateful remarks, especially with the Greyhound comment shows what kind of person you are.

Thank you to all the others who took the time to answer thoughtfully and honestly - your input is appreciated!
I think further discuss of this is probably going to become repetitive; however if you are concerned about the well being of the coach passengers, please also consider the well being of the sleeping car passengers. I have traveled in coach and sleeper on most long distance trains in the system and can tell you that sleeping car passengers are aware of people who do not belong in their cars and are sensitive to it. You and your family may be the most polite and sincere people in the world, but if I were in a sleeper and there was a rotation of people in and out of a sleeper, I would be concerned and feel as though the privacy that I paid for was being violated. I had an experience with a family that had 5 people in a roomette for a short duration trip and it was a disaster. The children could not be expected to be quiet in that room and there was not an inch of unused space. If someone had to go to the bathroom, the entire family spilled out into the hallway and caused quite a commotion. Consider other alternate means of transportation or take the suggestions of many of the forum members and purchase a larger room or two roomettes, but don't try this kind of a plan.

Before you jump ALL OVER this topic, let me add that 3 are small children. . .
This is the stupidest idea I've heard in a long time. :blink:

Not only won't it work, but you obviously have no respect or consideration for other passengers, both in coach and in the sleeping car, who would be forced to put up with your shenanigans. :angry:

I hope there are no Amtrak employees stupid enough to acquiesce.

Hey, maybe you can sneak a Showtime rotisserie oven in as well and cook all your meals in there.

Sheesh.
What "shenanigans" would that be? Because one parent, a child and a toddler would be in a room together? I never said all 5 would be in at the same time, you just assumed that. And I'm not sure where you get your "Showtime rotisserie" from as we don't shop at Wal-Mart. If and I mean IF we switch people in the sleeping car on occasion, what business would it be of yours? It wouldn't change the fact that the baby is gonna be in there the whole time (when not in the observation car or dining car etc) so it isn't going to be anything that concerns anyone else so what is with your hostility and latent insults? Do you really have THAT much pent-up aggression?

Bottom line, because it doesn't seem like you are a man of reading details - TWO people and a lap baby are going to be in the sleeper - TWO other people or three if the girls stay together will be in coach. This would be exactly what was paid for. If all 4 want to try to sleep like sardines - that's up to us to decide I guess but REGARDLESS, there will be people in coach and we would have paid for both.

Your post shows your character.

I think further discuss of this is probably going to become repetitive; however if you are concerned about the well being of the coach passengers, please also consider the well being of the sleeping car passengers. I have traveled in coach and sleeper on most long distance trains in the system and can tell you that sleeping car passengers are aware of people who do not belong in their cars and are sensitive to it. You and your family may be the most polite and sincere people in the world, but if I were in a sleeper and there was a rotation of people in and out of a sleeper, I would be concerned and feel as though the privacy that I paid for was being violated. I had an experience with a family that had 5 people in a roomette for a short duration trip and it was a disaster. The children could not be expected to be quiet in that room and there was not an inch of unused space. If someone had to go to the bathroom, the entire family spilled out into the hallway and caused quite a commotion. Consider other alternate means of transportation or take the suggestions of many of the forum members and purchase a larger room or two roomettes, but don't try this kind of a plan.
Thank you for your thoughtful answer. I'm curious b/c of a few of the other comments (above) that people with infants/toddlers are not allowed in sleeping cars? Or shouldn't even try it? That is alarming to me. There are at least three posts in this thread that basically bash people with young children on the train and say nothing else meaningful. IF we were lucky enough to get 2 roomettes or 1 family room, we are still going to be FIVE people, one of them crying on occasion and we will all still spill into the hallway to go eat, go to the bathroom and take showers, we would be coming and going just as much so I am curious now as to what the difference is? There isn't one.

I'm sure 5 in a roomette would be a disaster - so, evidently is 5 in two. We would not all be riding together in the same place at the same time even if we DID have 2 rooms or a family room. This was mentioned.

And just to reiterate, the family room(s) are not available for this trip as confirmed again by an agent this morning. The roomettes are at a higher bucket right now and that's why we considered upgrading onboard.

I totally understand your situation. Last spring just prior to our first train trip, we had to take a flight for a funeral.

The return flight was difficult.

There was a couple with a toddler who alternated between sleeping & crying through the flight.

At first I was frustrated that the child seemed to not stop crying-they kept shoving food in his mouth every time he cried.

It then dawned on me they really can't go anywhere to quiet him.

I was sitting a few rows back, so I tried to catch his eye & distract him with peek a boo. That helped for a while.

The flight was only 1 1/2 hours. As much as I love kids, it was hard for me to hear him crying so much. (We have kids & grandkids)

It confirmed to me that we really wanted to try the train-at least on a train, we or the toddler would be able to move about, which will help a lot.

There's no ban of toddlers or children in the sleepers.

I think that some here that the possiblity of a constantly crying child concerns them.

I think there's always that chance, but most of the time, I would think the train will have a calming effect on a toddler because it sways gently like a rocker.

You can always close the door on the roomette, too.

If you choose to stay with coach, you may want to think about getting seats on the lower level. It's a smaller area, & bit more private. We saw families downstairs in coach putting the chairs in the recline position, putting sheets & blankets just like a bed. They looked like they were having fun!

You can call Amtrak back and see if they will put you on a waiting list for the family bedroom. If any room is canceled, it goes back into the system at the lowest price.

. Those who have no family and scoff at others have simply forgotten that they themselves were once ill-behaved toddlers who soiled their pants and needed mommy to change them. :)

sorry I may have pooped and peed my pants, however my mother raised me not to be ill-behaved. when I miss behaved I got spanked, actually pretty sure I got my a$$ kicked. I was never allowed to act out, misbehave, be a spoiled brat in public; ever. More parents need to do this rather than smiled 'aren't they cute and kids will be kids'

Traveling with your kid is not a right, you're lucky you can do it. So if you are going to do it please do it with respect and parent your child. Allowing them to be ill-behaved and saying kids will be kids....or even worse 'wait to you have your own'

Which is such a cowardly and disgusting copout. Rude too

Parent them and make sure they behave, or if not drive. The world does not revolve around you and your kids.

and if this sound bit@hy blame the pain meds, I just had a tumor removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back