50 Cardinal Delay (2/24/19)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, that was most of the delay. After it received its new engine, it promptly hit a tree.  This did serious damage. After it became operational, the train lacked ditch lights. This means 20 mph over EVER grade crossing.  Fortunately, CSX hadn't shut down its operations. A trouble truck met them en route and replaced the ditch lights.

Next, 50 and 51 sat for hours due to high winds knocking down trees and fouling the ROW.  50 is now almost 16' down while 51 is almost 7' down. 

As bad as this sounds, it would have been a lot worse if CSX had shut down operations and Amtrak decided to push forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, that was most of the delay. After it received its new engine, it promptly hit a tree.  This did serious damage. After it became operational, the train lacked ditch lights. This means 20 mph over EVER grade crossing.  Fortunately, CSX hadn't shut down its operations. A trouble truck met them en route and replaced the ditch lights.

Next, 50 and 51 sat for hours due to high winds knocking down trees and fouling the ROW.  50 is now almost 16' down while 51 is almost 7' down. 

As bad as this sounds, it would have been a lot worse if CSX had shut down operations and Amtrak decided to push forward.
Wow, that train could not catch a break. After all that, I’m surprised it was only 11h 41m late at Thurmond. :unsure:

Again it nice to have the host railroad be there for you when you have a problem.  However there not the only response teams available.  Getting lamps replaced, fueling engines, restocking food service are task that can be handle by multiple players. Did Amtrak cut there emergency management teams at Delaware?  So much easier to call the host railroad to handle the issue, then scrambling to find lamps and a service truck yourself.

Again it nice to have the host railroad be there for you when you have a problem.  However there not the only response teams available.  Getting lamps replaced, fueling engines, restocking food service are task that can be handle by multiple players. Did Amtrak cut there emergency management teams at Delaware?  So much easier to call the host railroad to handle the issue, then scrambling to find lamps and a service truck yourself.
  I didn't know Delaware was close to Indianapolis and quickly accessible by highway in case of an emergency. I also didn't know that the shops in Delaware, Washington or New York could easily make to such places Erie, Pa in an emergency. I also didn't know they (or most other entities) could randomly fuel a locomotive or service a train in Ann Arbor out of Wilmington Delaware...especially during a state of emergency, with severe weather...when roads are shut down and conditions are treacherous. 

Additionally, railroads often subcontract tree removal during emergencies. Those companies also tend to put railroads lower in priority to, you know...trying to get trees out of power lines and off roads.

So, yes....it is typically easier and QUICKER to call the host railroad (when the train is on or adjacent to their territory) when your operations or facilities may be 100s if not a 1000+miles away from the actual train. .

I'd be interested in obtaining your address. When the passengers on 50 start writing letters and demanding refunds, perhaps you can suggest they wait for someone from Delaware to come meet them with ditch lights.

I suppose when the car got wrapped the around the original diesel, rendering it almost useless, we should expect a diesel to travel lite from Chicago or Delaware (there were none operational in Beech Grove other than the one the stole from another live passenger train) instead of calling the host railroad and asking to borrow one of theirs.

Long day?  ThirdRail7

Delware contains your National Operation Center does it not?  They have a phone or two there, and staff to use them?

Your trolling again, and I am not biting.

You're the one that poked your nose into the thread with your comment. What good does a PHONE do in WILMINGTON when there as a  DISABLED train stuck 100s if not 1000s of miles away when the host has stated they will not support the operation of the train?  Who are you going to call if the HOST HAS SHUT DOWN THEIR OPERATIONS and YOUR personnel are 100s of miles away? 

Do you seriously think that anyone and everyone can show up to the side of a train and start playing around with things? You named the "multiple players'' but put your money where your mouth is. Name some of the companies ASIDE from the host railroad that will show up and has the PARTS, and the Know How to service your HEP equipped PASSENGER train during a severe weather event? That's why there ARE trouble trucks, hi rail vehicles, a railroad teams available.  CNOC calls the closest help to the train and that is typically the host....if they're around.  They are the ones that can typically reach a train in distress. It wouldn't do much good to deploy forces from BNSF if the train is in North Carolina nor would to it make much sense to deploy forces from  Amtrak in Washington DC

Is this was an ACS or SC-44 Charger, you're not going to find a plethora of companies to replace parts en route even with the host railroads involved but since you have all of the answers, who can we get to repair the brand new SC-44 en route, particularly since they take specialized headlights and they need a special blend of sand....so not most facilities or sand trucks will not be able to help them? If the host railroad doesn't have a crew or an engine available, name some of the 'multiple players" that CNOC can call that will show up, cut a through the downed trees and tow the train?

You're the troll and most know it. Your unsolicited and ignorant comment just further cements it.

Try 911 if you don’t have any other number to call.

Emergency management will be there to help you.  In smaller community the Fire Chief will be there to answer your call.

The service they provide may not be up to your liking, but they will address the issues.    Passenger evacuated done.  Emergency Fuel deliver done.  Food resupply done.

Mechanic issues try call a truck stop service truck, or a tow company.  Better give them the part number first.  Having them drive around for parts is not cheap.

It called get the job done.  No excuse because none are needed.

Emergency management will be there to help you.  In smaller community the Fire Chief will be there to answer your call.

The service they provide may not be up to your liking, but they will address the issues.    Passenger evacuated done.  Emergency Fuel deliver done.  Food resupply done.

Mechanic issues try call a truck stop service truck, or a tow company.  Better give them the part number first.  Having them drive around for parts is not cheap.

I have been doing my  excruciatingly best to avoid commenting on this, but...... Thirdrail is absolutely correct. Even if this had not happened in bad weather, it would have been handled in the same exact way. What's a small community Fire Chief going to do for a damaged locomotive except flag any affected vehicle traffic?  Why evacuate a perfectly warm train when you don't have to? Emergency fuel and food supply are questionably a potential issue 51 so I'll give you that one. What the heck are a truck stop service truck or a tow company going to do for a broke down train? I'm sure they can find that part number in their small town just waiting for a P42 that needs it. 

Having them drive around for parts is not cheap.
Here’s a crazy thought: call someone that has the parts on hand and doesn’t have to drive around for parts. I wonder who in the area would have parts for a locomotive, a railroad, or a truck stop?  Maybe try the local airport? Planes have lights on them too, maybe they stock locomotive lights, just in case. 

They will? Then perhaps you missed the Coast Starlight snowed in thread, featuring:

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/183-people-stranded-on-stuck-amtrak-train/1810135239

An Amtrak train has been stuck on the tracks near Oakridge, Oregon since just after 6 p.m. Sunday night. 

Amtrak said 183 people are aboard the Coast Starlight train 11, which was traveling from Seattle to Los Angeles. No one was hurt when the train hit a tree that had fallen onto the tracks 

Winter weather conditions have made it so there is no safe way to evacuate everyone. 

Amtrak is working with Union Pacific to clear the tracks and get passengers off the train.

Bigby heard crews had been trying to bring another engine to meet their train since 5 a.m. but there were too many trees on the tracks between their location and Eugene.
The train is surrounded by trains and trees.Fortunately, UP crews are on duty and are cutting their way to the train. As for the emergency responders,  food deliveres, etc?

They are likely stuck on the CLOSED highways:

https://www.koin.com/weather/approaching-winter-storm-may-bring-snow-to-metro/1806323947

SALEM, Ore. (KOIN) -- The worst of the winter storm hit near Eugene and again stranded hundreds of driver along I-5, which closed a 40-mile section between Cottage Grove and Sutherlin for most of the day.

Around 4:30 p.m.,  the Oregon Department of Transportation announced that stretch of highway re-opened but some debris may linger on the road.

The Eugene Police Departments pleaded with people to stay home and only call 911 for immediate life and safety emergencies.

State offices in Lane and Douglas counties were closed because of the late winter storm. A number of school districts were also closed for the day.

Tens of thousands of people in the area lost power including KVAL, the CBS station in Eugene.

ODOT still has their hands full -- not from the snow but with what the snow brought down.
Wilmington can put out all of the distress calls it desires, but you need to be able to get bodies to the train. There are closed roads, downed trees and downed power lines tieing up local authorities. So, if the railroad authorities shut down their operation, who is responding? 

Are you?

Again, it is fortunate the railroad personell are still on duty because even if you were to track down a tree trimming company that wasn't tied up, civilians aren’t allowed onto the railroad tracks to perform services without roadway worker protection. You'd STILL need a roadway worker to do anything that involves the ROW. This includes something as simple as shoveling snow on the platforms. They must be protected and you need an RWP qualified employee (from the railroad) that may have shut down.

Back in the day, yes I would be one who responded to a 911 call.  As a Paramedic, as a Search and Rescue Manager, as a RAT (Reach and Treat) team member.  The ability to call in addition resources is great, but at some point your it.  

Back in the day, yes I would be one who responded to a 911 call.  As a Paramedic, as a Search and Rescue Manager, as a RAT (Reach and Treat) team member.  The ability to call in addition resources is great, but at some point your it.  
I imagine in the OR situation, many resources have been called, but they probably don't have enough personnel to handle all the emergency calls that went out due to the snow and downed trees & wires.  The people on the train are in a safe, warm place.  For now, at least.  The same may have been true for the Cardinal - thin resources busy with other emergencies.  Plus access to the trains.

As for the emergency responders,  food deliveres, etc?

They are likely stuck on the CLOSED highways:
This reminds me of when I when the #98 I was on derailed in Savannah last year due to a frozen and sprung switch, derailing the baggage car and last two sleepers. They tried to have a crane come and put the cars back on the tracks, but had to admit defeat after several hours because all the roads were frozen and the crane just couldn't get there. They ended up having to cut the cars loose and put all those sleeper passengers in coach on the Star. Often the weather or general conditions that cause a train accident are also what prohibit getting local help.  :unsure:

Back