#50 major delay (6/15-16)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda T

Lead Service Attendant
Well, she started out beautifully, early into each town, then CSX gave her orders to stand at Lafayette. A major fire out of control in Indianapolis was burning near the tracks. About 2 hours and 10 minutes later she was on the move again, but needed to be re-routed around the fire. She's still not in CIN yet and it's 6:30 AM. Right now it's expected to arrive in CIN 3 hours and 44 minutes late. Amtrak estimates she'll reach CVS 2 hours and 15 minutes late. Yeah, right, the freights have priority once she's this late.

So my question to all of you is, how worried should I be with a 5 hour layover at RVR for the Meteor to FTL? Would you cancel your whole trip and replan it getting all the AGR points back? Or would you take a chance? I'm honestly torn, though may take the chance. Will they hold the Meteor for a late arriving CVS bus? My gut tells me they wouldn't need to hold very long, but 30 minutes?

BTW, here's the fire http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/2427279

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it'll be close. Are you in a room or coach?

Why are you going to FL? Is the point of the trip the train ride or is there something you need to be there for?

Tomorrows star and meteor still have rooms available. May be worth a shot to call and see if they'll block one for you to preserve your room since the connection looks iffy. No idea if they'll do that or not.

Looks like it'll be close. Are you in a room or coach?
Why are you going to FL? Is the point of the trip the train ride or is there something you need to be there for?

Tomorrows star and meteor still have rooms available. May be worth a shot to call and see if they'll block one for you to preserve your room since the connection looks iffy. No idea if they'll do that or not.
I've redeemed points for a round trip roomette (on both trains). I need to return on Wednesday, so it's either now or hold off till later. The trip's just to explore a new route, straight down and back (overnight out of necessity). I know it looks iffy, which is why I'm asking for other's thoughts about what they might do. I'm just not happy about Amtrak thinking they can cut an almost 4 hour delay into an almost 2 hour delay, but then again -- Amtrak knows more about possibilities than I do. I just worry about further delays instead of make up time.

Of course doesn't it figure that the 97 is pretty regular right now. Within about 20 minutes since Wednesday. :eek:

You probably know this, but I would not put much, if any, stock into what Julie or the website are telling you about the arrival time into CVS. I agree that it making up time is less likely than it losing more time.

Tough choice... Are you feeling lucky?

Linda, I take it that you weren't on the train yet? This topic is of great interest to me. Please let us know how things work out, and best of luck to you on your trip.

I dont think you can get a refund once you have started travel, especially since you are several hours into it. :(

If you can, that would be an interesting topic of discussion. You will likely be responsible for your trip back to CHI. Catch 22, I know.

Keep us posted!

She may not be in the train. I think her home station is CIN and it had not arrived by the time she posted which is probably why she was considering canceling.

Since it should have arrived 2+ hours ago, my guess is she's taking the chance & got on.

If 50 is "expected" into CVS 3:44 late, and you have a 5 hour layover, I personally don't think there'll be a problem. It's a straight run on I-64 between CVS and RVR. And I think (but am not certain) the train will wait for the bus. My opinion is to go for it!

She may not be in the train. I think her home station is CIN and it had not arrived by the time she posted which is probably why she was considering canceling.Since it should have arrived 2+ hours ago, my guess is she's taking the chance & got on.
Ok. I see where I misread. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I just met Linda at CVS station, though briefly - she was all about getting on that bus to Richmond. I know it's gonna sit there for 15 minutes, but still.....

#50 pulled into here at 7:58pm. Linda says Amtrak says they will hold the Meteor for her! :hi: Although not necessary I think as it's scheduled departure is 9:50 pm and the drive over is only an hour.

Linda made the connection.

I was also on #50, my stop was RVR. We got to CVS around 8:05. The bus left at 8:11 and we got to RVR 3 minutes before #97 pulled into the station.

Julie says 50 is due CVS at 7:42pm. I think I'll stroll down to the station and see if I can find Linda T.
Thanks for stopping by! I can't believe I MADE IT! With NO time to spare. The bus arrived at RVR and I walked into the station and the train pulled in. I didn't even have time to set my things down. That's cutting things a little too close for comfort. By the way I don't know if they were right or not, but the Meteor crew told me that they wouldn't have held the train. Don't know who to believe on that, but.. I'm really glad I went as among other things I got to meet LEO, who was my SCA. He's all Amtrak made him out to be and more! Loved having him! It was nip and tuck all the way though. But I decided if I didn't make it I'd be happy helping my husband do his research in Richmond. Thanks so much to all of you for your help and support! By the way, Huntington is my home station, but Cincinnati is my change of zone so most of my major trips really start at Cincinnati. ;)

BTW, I was amazed to be at the station in CVS and have two people address me by name (from this forum). City of Miami and C&O RR, nice to meet you guys! :)

Linda: Glad you made the Connection and met some fellow Auers! :cool: As those of us know who have been in Leos Car on the Silver Trains, he IS THE BEST!!!! (and his Running Buddy Vic is Great also! Wish Amtrak had more OBS like them!) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back