50th Anniversary Celebration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This video Amtrak's website is worth a look, though it's lengthy. You have to jump to 47:36 to see the intro. then the Philadelphia ceremoney, including Biden's remarks, start at 51:17. Following that are a number of testimonials from an interesting array of politicians, individuals, rail partners and industry leaders which begins at 1:17:05.

https://www.amtrak.com/about-amtrak/50th-anniversary.html

I saw the video on C-Span this late afternoon that began with the President's introduction by an Amtrak Conductor. The gentleman did an excellent job with his speech.

The President's speech was good. If I have ever witnessed a speech by a POTUS that had passion and appreciation about which he was speaking, I don't recall such.

Much was said about the NEC and the Corridor Services proposals by President Biden. I did not hear anything about Amtrak's LD services. Did I miss something?

I will view the entire video that has been posted tomorrow.

Much was said about the NEC and the Corridor Services proposals by President Biden. I did not hear anything about Amtrak's LD services. Did I miss something?
I heard nothing about LD. Only about a few of the new corridors and the NEC as well

I saw!

Honestly I'm not too worried about HSR. I just want nicer, modern trains and upgraded track so our average speed can be 70+
You understand that 220 mph maximum speed might pan out to 70 mph point to point average speed, depending on the bottlenecks on the system. Even th he Euro and Asian HSR lines with 200 mph max speeds have average point to point speed of maybe 100 mph.

We can only hope that the momentum of the 50th Amtrak Anniversary will continue. I do like what Amtrak Joe said... and what CNN has reported. Things are however clouded by a history of credibility issues, lack of maintenance leading to system deterioration, promises not kept, and the complexity of actually getting the funding to make things happen. Bureaucratic Amtrak management has many of feeling skeptical.

Bottom line... if Amtrak management wants to entice and make promises, then back it up with solid results!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/amtrak-america-moment-50-years/index.html

I noticed that the president propagated the Amtrak Myth - that operations on the NEC are PROFITABLE. Joe Boardman started that one when he said in an interview that the NEC is profitable - and then half under his breath he added - above the rail.

Sure the NEC is profitable if you don't consider the tracks, tunnels, bridges, signals or catenary.

I'd like to see the NEC and the long distance trains compared using the same accounting methods. If the NEC is accounted for only "above the rail", then all of it should be done that way,

jb

As we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of Amtrak... we should also be aware that today, the Empire State building is 90 years old... completed in 1931 and opened May 1st, during the height of the Great Depression. It has its own zip code and its upper tower was originally designed as a mooring mast for airships.

A WWII B-25 bomber crashed into the building in 1945 due to a heavy fog. According to the History Channel... "several pieces of the B-25’s engine sliced through the Empire State Building and entered an elevator shaft. The cables for two cars were severed, including one containing a 19-year-old elevator operator named Betty Lou Oliver. The elevator plummeted from the 75th floor and soon crashed into the subbasement, but luckily for Oliver, more than a thousand feet of severed elevator cable had gathered at the bottom of the shaft, cushioning the blow. The fall may have also been slowed by a pocket of compressed air generated by the car’s rapid descent. Despite suffering severe injuries including a broken neck and back, Oliver survived."

In 1983 a giant balloon of King Kong was attached to the building in an effort to recreate the giant gorilla's epic climb to the top for the 50th anniversary of 'King Kong.' The original sequence was actually recreated in a studio.

Also on this day in history, International Congress of Women adopts resolutions on peace, women’s suffrage!

There's so much to say about this May 1st day!

https://www.esbnyc.com/

Empire_State_Building___Photo_Contest_Winner_19.jpeg

This video Amtrak's website is worth a look, though it's lengthy. You have to jump to 47:36 to see the intro. then the Philadelphia ceremoney, including Biden's remarks, start at 51:17. Following that are a number of testimonials from an interesting array of politicians, individuals, rail partners and industry leaders which begins at 1:17:05.

Let's all hope that this anniversary celebration marks a new and strong re start for Amtrak that will carry it into the next 50 years better, stronger, and at a level of service that will put smiles on the faces of all AU'ers!

Here's a direct link to the YT Video of this: (Lower your desktop volume... it's presented at a Loud Level!!)

In that Video, they show a picture of an AMTRAK route Map that shows service going from DFW north above Wichita to Newton KS on the Southwest Chief Line.

51154259314_86f6f3606e_o.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a direct link to the YT Video of this: (Lower your desktop volume... it's presented at a Loud Level!!)

In that Video, they show a picture of an AMTRAK route Map that shows service going from DFW north above Wichita to Newton KS on the Southwest Chief Line.

Great nostalgia in that...thanks for posting! I recall all of that era...:cool:

The narrator in the video spoke positively about "the people of Amtrak". While there has been on the Forum much conversation about those Amtrak employees with whom we have interacted. Many disappointments and many negative experiences that some of us have experienced, including me. But, there are those who fulfill their responsibilities well.

Often a lasting impression one has of any business is their most recent one.

January, 2020: Auto Train from Sanford to Lorton was my most recent Amtrak experience. Sanford's station personnel were helpful and pleasant, my SCA was excellent, the SA in the Lounge Car was the best I have experienced, and the two Dining Car staff members did their job pleasantly, efficiently.

So, I have to agree with video's narrator's positive comments about "the people of Amtrak".

Pretty good look at Amtrak's history through the creative eyes and articulate voice of Mike Armstrong.

Used to watch him a lot, not so much recently. I prefer spending my time on AU ( :) ), but I will check it out soon.

As we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of Amtrak... we should also be aware that today, the Empire State building is 90 years old... completed in 1931 and opened May 1st, during the height of the Great Depression. It has its own zip code and its upper tower was originally designed as a mooring mast for airships.

A WWII B-25 bomber crashed into the building in 1945 due to a heavy fog. According to the History Channel... "several pieces of the B-25’s engine sliced through the Empire State Building and entered an elevator shaft. The cables for two cars were severed, including one containing a 19-year-old elevator operator named Betty Lou Oliver. The elevator plummeted from the 75th floor and soon crashed into the subbasement, but luckily for Oliver, more than a thousand feet of severed elevator cable had gathered at the bottom of the shaft, cushioning the blow. The fall may have also been slowed by a pocket of compressed air generated by the car’s rapid descent. Despite suffering severe injuries including a broken neck and back, Oliver survived."

In 1983 a giant balloon of King Kong was attached to the building in an effort to recreate the giant gorilla's epic climb to the top for the 50th anniversary of 'King Kong.' The original sequence was actually recreated in a studio.

Also on this day in history, International Congress of Women adopts resolutions on peace, women’s suffrage!

There's so much to say about this May 1st day!

https://www.esbnyc.com/

View attachment 22112

I have to know: was it an Oliver Elevator?

Back