#52 Auto Train delay - 10/13 Departure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLNT

Service Attendant
Does anyone know why yesterday's northbound Auto Train is still in South Carolina and (currently) showing as 8+ hours late?

Just wonder what this will do to the Auto Train schedule for the next couple of days.

My son leaves today on the northbound (it arrived in the station early) and will be joining us up here tomorrow. Following that, we'll be heading south day after tomorrow (Friday). Hope things are smoothed out by that time. We just never want to repeat our 12 hour delay from last year. If nothing else though, that taught us to PACK FOOD !! lol

The Real Location Map shows the train still en route and not due to arrive until after 6:00 P. M. today.

I wonder what the food situation is on the train since it is so delayed? And, why such a lengthy delay?

On the 24+ hour late Silver, they still had food for the Sleeper passengers. There was still some food left for coach passengers too, but many of them didn't pack any money (to buy that food).

Does anyone know why yesterday's northbound Auto Train is still in South Carolina and (currently) showing as 8+ hours late?

Just wonder what this will do to the Auto Train schedule for the next couple of days.

My son leaves today on the northbound (it arrived in the station early) and will be joining us up here tomorrow. Following that, we'll be heading south day after tomorrow (Friday). Hope things are smoothed out by that time. We just never want to repeat our 12 hour delay from last year. If nothing else though, that taught us to PACK FOOD !! lol

This might have been the incident that started it all.

Ouch, No. 53 (12) arrived over ten hours late, resulting in No 52 (13) departing eight hours late and arriving nine hours late. This resulted in No. 53 (14) departing six hours and 25 minutes late, and it has already lost at least an hour to a police incident. Do they not have another extra trainset at either station?

Ouch, No. 53 (12) arrived over ten hours late, resulting in No 52 (13) departing eight hours late and arriving nine hours late. This resulted in No. 53 (14) departing six hours and 25 minutes late, and it has already lost at least an hour to a police incident. Do they not have another extra trainset at either station?
Not for Auto train.

I'd be curious as to where they are in terms of autorack capacity utilization and so on right now. I wonder simply because with all of the Western trains going 3x, there is no reason they shouldn't be able to drag a bunch of sleepers and a few coaches over from Chicago on the Cap (there's a flap about Amtrak running fewer trains but refusing to add capacity to the remaining trains); the biggest issue would be not having two "Deluxe Sleepers" (all bedrooms upstairs) but they do have one spare of those (so subbing two "normal" sleepers for one of those if needed would patch the hole). It's the autoracks that are the capacity choke point right now.

Back