55 Years of Amtrak Engines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepherdude

OBS Chief
I found this on USA Today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2016/11/23/amtrak-train-engine-locomotive/94274774/

Lots of pictures of head end equipment. You guys can spend hours down memory lane asking where was I when this came out!

Read some clips this morning from somewhere and it was discussed that congress was going to be nit-picking food and beverage losses again. I guess we can live without salt n pepper and catsup for burgers. Can we live with a bun on bun sandwich with pickles? 10 bucks!

Anyway, I thought we would enjoy the pictures from USA Today.

Ahhh. My least favorite Amtrak engine (the F69PHAC) made the list. I was thinking their tenure was so brief, it wouldn't have appeared.

F69.jpg

I was close to one but that is all. I remember asking the boss I was with "hey, what's that ugly piece of (self-censored) over there?" He told me it was prototype. I asked him why does it look and sound so weird, because in my opinion it had a weird, whiny sound and it looked like someone mugged the F40 and kicked in the windshield. The boss started rambling on about A/C traction, fuel savings, less repairs, the aerodynamics and safety of the windshields.

Whatever. It was just a funny looking engine with a weird sound and if you blinked, you missed their presence. The only compliment I have for this engine is at least it had strobes. I will say, I liked it a lot better when they repainted it and hooked it up ICE train.

696fd804c2700516310ede97800d88f1.jpg

Back